Pilot Road 2 - who's got 'em?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why would a dealer in a right mind sell you PP to mount on the FJR. Those were never designed for the sport touring bike. On the other hand when I ran them on my FZ1 gen1 I was able to get 6k+ out of my rear with an occasional track day.

My PR2's are on order as of yesterday. Sweet deal at Interstate Cycles in Lake City, FL: $279 for both tires and mounting. That's $32 less than just the tires at SW Moto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it is probably my fault. When I ordered He said CT2 & I never made the link to that being the wrong ones. With no experience on the PP or PR tires I must have been in a brain fart when ordering. This is a dealer that I use to work for in the late 80s(also my riding partner). Now I know why all there were looking at me funny when I said "higher mileage" tire. . . .

I just ordered a set of PR2s, $306.00 from Ridedirect.com No shipping charges to lower 48 States and better pricing than SW Moto Tires. I will let you guys know when I mount them how they perform.

BERDE

Keeeee-rap! I stopped yesterday at my dealer to order up a set... His price has gone up almost $30 since the last time I checked, while the Avons stayed put. Now we're talking about an $80 difference between the PR2's and the Storms. **** it. I'll stay with the Storms.

Keeeee-rap! I stopped yesterday at my dealer to order up a set... His price has gone up almost $30 since the last time I checked, while the Avons stayed put. Now we're talking about an $80 difference between the PR2's and the Storms. **** it. I'll stay with the Storms.
Hey, if you can't run with the big dogs, keep your puppy avatar on the porch.

that fat donut boy has to afford his donuts. Michellin has NOTHING that makes it worth $80 more than the Avons or the BT021's. IMO

that fat donut boy has to afford his donuts. Michellin has NOTHING that makes it worth $80 more than the Avons or the BT021's. IMO
I hated the Avons, loved the BT-021's, then after only 4,000 miles the front BT-021 looked like this;

(jwillys after 3,800 miles, mine was the same)

DSC_6885.jpg

Pilot Road 2 went on yesterday.

We put 1,000 miles on the PR2s and love them. 800 of those miles have been 2up including the 600 mile round trip to Avila Beach. No flat spot in the middle and just touched the letters in the chicken strip, so about 3/8 inch. I measured the tread depth at 7/32 inch but can't remember what they were new. No noise, no shake, no problems.

Welcome to the falling dollar - PR2's are made in France, ergo the Euro - Storms are made in the UK, ergo the GBP -

And there's always the Supply/Demand end of things.

It ain't over yet, boyz and gurlz -

Ooops - was that political?

That little German made fuel pump I paid 86.00 for last February is now selling for 102.00 at the same place. Yep.

I just bought my first set of new shoes. It was a toss up b/w the PR2s and the BT021s. I am replacing the front, even though it doesn't technically need it because it is a little "aged" and I want to put my Tire Watch in.

Ultimately, I decided on the BT021s because I thought it was an insult to pay ~$80 more for the PR2s. How much better could they possibly be? Now, if they threw in a free hummer I may have gone for it ;) , but otherwise, Bridgestone gets my hoops again.

-BD

I just bought my first set of new shoes. It was a toss up b/w the PR2s and the BT021s. I am replacing the front, even though it doesn't technically need it because it is a little "aged" and I want to put my Tire Watch in.
Ultimately, I decided on the BT021s because I thought it was an insult to pay ~$80 more for the PR2s. How much better could they possibly be? Now, if they threw in a free hummer I may have gone for it ;) , but otherwise, Bridgestone gets my hoops again.

-BD

From the looks of your mileage, you’re set for the next 2 years. :rolleyes:

Went from PR's to PR-2's last week and put about 1500 miles on 'em over the weekend during the Void III. I really, really like these tires. I felt absolutely planted even when scraping the pegs -- something I don't typically do. Definitely more confidence inspiring than the PR's for me.

Are they better than BT-021's? Can't say. Never tried the 'stones. Might try them next time just because, well.., just because. But if I end up with decent mileage out of these, it will be hard to change.

called a catalog company and the coustomer service guy told me theres is a recall on the front tire they put the hard rubber on the inside of the tire instead of the outside .

called a catalog company and the coustomer service guy told me theres is a recall on the front tire they put the hard rubber on the inside of the tire instead of the outside .
The recall is NOT on the Pilot Road 2 tire, which this thread is about. The recall is on the Pilot POWER 2, a completely different tire for a different style of riding.

"Pilot Power 2" has a recall, NOT "Pilot Road 2".

Pony types faster than I do!

Hi guys,

I drive the MPR2 since middle of september for just 4500km. In the past I drive this year two set of MPP and last year five set of MPP. One set MPR-S for testing but discard after only one trip to the dolomites (1mm used, 5,5mm left) in case of poor grip on dry roads and very poor grip on wet roads. :angry:

My tire history (of actual buyable tire types) is also some sets of Metzeler Z6 on this bike and Bridgestones BT020 on my first FJR. My beemer had runs on ME Z4.

In my opinion the MPP is the best ... handling, grip ... always top. Only the low mileage makes me dissapoint. Between 3500 - 4000km in the legal and about 4500 - 5000km to become slicks. When I went through the alps in june they live only for ten days. But they gave me the most highly secure and fun when I riding the limits on the passroads.

I order the MPR2 only to get more mileage and faster arrives on the autobahn (interstate, freeway ?). I used this option very often the last month. With the MPP you cannot drive here or you limit your self on 60-70 mph. Otherway you lose the rubber quicker you can buy it. Okay, what did I think about the MPR2? The grip is nearly to the MPP. I drive the same slanting positions as well as with the MPP. Sometimes I think a bit more when I recognize which parts are scratching (brakepedal, sidestand, mainstand). :rolleyes: (My bike is lift up 1 inch at steering and about 2 1/2 inch at the tail.) First time I drive faster there are some waving of the bike above 100 mph when I was alone on the bike (with saddlebags). With my wife onto it runs stable to topspeed. After update the settings of the frontfork (bit harder) it runs always stable ... every speed, every load, every slanting position. The handling attributes of the MPR2 are not my favorites, but I can manage this. They need more force in the short corner also when braking in slanting position. But over all the MPR2 is the best compromise FOR ME. For the benefit of mileage I accept the lost of handling. After the 4500km there are left about 3,4mm of profile so I will ride 2000km more on it in the legal. :good:

BTW: in the german boards is also the discussion about waving at higher speeds and instable slanting drive. Some guys which didn't wait till the tyres are worm writing about lost grip when riding sporty. About the BT021 there are the most negative comments in case of very low mileage at the frontwheel (about 3000 - 4000 km).

"Pilot Power 2" has a recall, NOT "Pilot Road 2".

Pony types faster than I do!
This effect only tires (MPP & MPP 2CT) "Made in France". Tires "Made in Spain" are not effected!