Prius is an environmental nightmare

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pal of mine, guy by the name of Dave Bennett, redid a sweet 64 2+2 thats been rippin the strip for ages. Running E85 required some mods to the 421SD motor, such as 14-1 compression, special profile grind on the cam, and jets big enough to stick your finger through. Goes like a raped ape (low 11's), exhaust smells like Odots breath on a Sunday morn, and won't start without a squirt of dino juice. Alky cars have a charm all their own, Prius need not apply........ :p

hppp_060200_16z1964_2004_Pontiac_GT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>If you think bikes are immune then think again. There will come the day that some legislator brings up a bill that says that bikes do not need to be any bigger than 600 cc....or pick your favorite number. The bill will outlaw larger bike engines in the interests of fuel conservation. Mark my words.
I've met several European used m/c buyers on 'shopping trips' (even sold a bike to one). Mostly northern Europe, notably Scandanavian countries -- where, I'm told, big engined bikes aren't allowed to be sold (new) -- or, there exist some laws against them. Big Japanese 4-cyl bikes are what they're looking for -- XS Elevens being one and big Kawis and Suzukis (GS 1150s). Apparently, they need power....? :blink: ;)

Every now and then a nice, concise summation of a subject comes along...... Obviously something that I did not write.... :unsure: Besides, you would consider it biased and untrue if I wrote it.
See rebuttal to above article in question. click here!

There is no doubt that the manufacturing of nickel has an environmental impact, but so does copper, aluminum, mercury, not to metion plastics, all of which are used widely in todays vehicles. The hybrid vehicles produced today are a result of emmission regulations legislated by the government trying to attain a goal of a zero emmision vehicle. The Hummer is such an extravagant waste in so many ways, in the H2 model, you have full-time four wheel drive with a 6 liter gas engine with enough weight to anchor a cruise ship. These vehicles generally never see off road driving for which they are supposed to be designed for, they are just to say "look how much money I have :****: " Anyway, I'm in no way any kind of environmentalist, I actually have worked at a Hummer dealer for the last four years and see what sort of people generally drive these things. The Prius does make sense, I recently took a course explaining fully the inner workings of hybrid vehicles and they are not the answer, but are on the right track. The answer appears to be hydrogen fuelled vehicles which seems to be getting closer to development.

I copied it to my computer yesterday, and re-read this posting on the Prius vs the Hummer lifetime cost analysis which discussed the Prius $3.25 per mile over 100,000 miles which seems ridiculous. What am I missing here? $3.25 x 100,000 miles = $325,000. Clearly that is not what it costs society for each Toyota Prius to exist for 100,000 miles. It seems Jestal the author is probably a Jester. Probably appropriate that it was removed from the Forum.

BTW, I drive a 2000 Honda Insight which has a lifetime average of 48 mpg. If I put an effort into it, I can go to Wal-Mart and back home which is about 30 miles for an average of 74 mpg. It is comforting to only have to purchase 10 gallons of gasoline every 500 miles for an enclosed vehicle (cage). We got 6" of snow last night, it's 26 F outside, and I cannot drive the 1300 in 6" of snow, but the Honda Insight works for me on a day like today.

rokonjim

BTW, I drive a 2000 Honda Insight which has a lifetime average of 48 mpg. If I put an effort into it, I can go to Wal-Mart and back home which is about 30 miles for an average of 74 mpg. It is comforting to only have to purchase 10 gallons of gasoline every 500 miles for an enclosed vehicle (cage). We got 6" of snow last night, it's 26 F outside, and I cannot drive the 1300 in 6" of snow, but the Honda Insight works for me on a day like today.
rokonjim
I think the Author was looking to stir up some shit, good job done if you ask me. One other FYI, in the event of a write-off or some other type of damage, Toyota will actually buy back the batteries for recycling. The article makes it sound like the batteries would be discarded after the vehicle is no longer operable. The Prius is very well capable of exceeding the 100,000 mile mark, Toyota's are well respected for their longevity and the hybrids are no exception.

I just listened to an Al Gore (he is the smartest person on the planet behind only Bill Clinton)speech and global warming is at a crisis point. We will all be DEAD soon if we don't act right now. Coastal cities will be under 200ft of water next year. Hurricanes will be tearing apart everything from the equator to the Tropics. Being the lemming I am I immediately went out and took action. I traded in my 2001 Dodge Ram Quadcab and traded it in on a brand spanking new 2006 Hemi-Powered Dodge RAM Quadcab. It gets 42% better mileage than my '01 and has 80 more HP. :yahoo: Hurray for John the environmentalist!!!!! :yahoo: That MDS sure saves you gas!!!

I'm glad you're so smart. Do you ever wonder why most other developed countries are way ahead of us in reducing carbon emissions?

I took it all to heart. I use my two-wheeled monsters to get a periodic speed fix while trading in my daily four wheels for something more responsible. It was the first time a dealer gave me money for a trade-in! Gave up my '04 Audi S4 for an '07 Hybrid Camry.

Read up and take action to reduce your carbon footprint!

https://www.ipcc.ch/

Jestal is one of our more colorful forum members. I had a friendly badgering with him recently and got to know a little bit about him. He works for GM and seems pretty intelligent to me.

The real point of his original post was that the Prius from cradle to grave isn't as Green as many of us believe.

Jestal is one of our more colorful forum members. I had a friendly badgering with him recently and got to know a little bit about him. He works for GM and seems pretty intelligent to me.
The real point of his original post was that the Prius from cradle to grave isn't as Green as many of us believe.
As stated in my previous message, the hybrid vehicle concept is not the answer, merely a step in the right direction towards lower emissions. To imply that the Hummer is better for the envioronment than the Prius is ridiculous. The whole concept of a Hummer basically ignores the obvious world oil problem, while the Prius is an attempt to at least help. The solution for the fuel problem right now seems to be hydrogen, when and if the technology is developed to make it viable.

If I were to purchase a hybrid type of vehicle, it wouldn't be to wave some sort of "I'm saving the world" flag, it would be to save money at the fuel pump. I already have gotten rid of my gas guzzling truck and now drive a 4-cylinder Mazda Protege, which gets great fuel economy, I do drive the bike whenever possible, but is difficult at times.

Actually, this is not something that needs to be beaten to death here, we frequent this forum to discuss motorcyling, not political and environmental issues. So personally, I will be letting this topic fade away. On to more interesting and less controversial discussions, like some nice long bike trip or farkling up our bikes!!

Care to elaborate?
Nope. Rather, I would suggest that a bit more observation of the forum and its posting members would be apropos before making certain types of comments without the use of smilies following.
What color is your Hummer?
I think you may be missing the point here. What TWN is trying to point, and rather nicely I would say, is that Jestal is a well respected member of this community that has been here a long time and made a significant contribution. For someone with a few posts to accuse him of trying to stir the pot is a bit premature.

You may have also noticed, from other posts on the forum which you have undoubtedly read, that Jestal has temporarily left the building. Personally I attribute this to all the senseless crap he has had to put up with lately in terms of posts, mostly from folks that have made nowhere near the contribution to this community that he has. I think you can expect the folks that will miss his posts to be a bit sensitive in regards to his departure.

BTW, I drive a Pontiac Montana :)

Firstly, I will apologize for the misunderstanding, when I mentioned an author looking to stir the pot, I was referring to the author of the original article (from the Conneticut State University) , who happens to be a journalism student. When Twn bluntly stated that I was wrong (not nicely) without explanation, it pissed me off. As far as Jestal, I've made no comment to him, or about him, I did quote his original post, but I was just replying to with more information regarding the topic.

I am happy to offer any help regarding paint and body repair questions, so as far as a contributor to the forum, I am at your disposal, don't criticize me because I only have a few posts.

I am happy to offer any help regarding paint and body repair questions, so as far as a contributor to the forum, I am at your disposal, don't criticize me because I only have a few posts.
With generous offers like that I suspect your post count is going to go way up :lol: Welcome aboard!

When Twn bluntly stated that I was wrong (not nicely) without explanation, it pissed me off.
Well hopefully you understand where he was coming from, well at least were I think he was coming from in the post you replied to... OK, I think I will let TWN speak for himself.

This article made the Op-Ed section of the Oregonian yesterday. Lots of people around here think the Prius is all that. Whatever makes you happy I guess. Just like lots of things there is more to it than meets the eye.

Bill

Firstly, I will apologize for the misunderstanding, when I mentioned an author looking to stir the pot, I was referring to the author of the original article (from the Conneticut State University) , who happens to be a journalism student. When Twn bluntly stated that I was wrong (not nicely) without explanation, it pissed me off. As far as Jestal, I've made no comment to him, or about him, I did quote his original post, but I was just replying to with more information regarding the topic.
Well, why the hell didn't you say so in the first place? If you read your post prior to my comments, you'll see how it led me to believe otherwise. Also, though I may have pissed you off, at least you are still here, which, at the end of the day, is a good thing.

Oh, one more thing... I traded in the hummer on this:

8374_image.gif

Now I have the perfect conveyance for grocery shopping and latte fetching. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.