Quiet Forum These Days?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how signing on to enforce current rules would allow one the ability to affect change. The management has made it crystal clear it's their way or the hwy.

Tough job if you believed in the current model, impossible job if you didn't

Fair comment? No, not really

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounces comment was fair, but the job description is one that few can meet. Perhaps only one or two members have those skills.

A few of my friends have been banned from this Forum. They probably deserved it. But it means I also must go elsewhere to swap insults with them.

Heres a question: If Rule 10 got put in place because the majority of members wanted it, can it also be rescinded by a majority of the membership?

Bounces comment was fair, but the job description is one that few can meet. Perhaps only one or two members have those skills.A few of my friends have been banned from this Forum. They probably deserved it. But it means I also must go elsewhere to swap insults with them.

Heres a question: If Rule 10 got put in place because the majority of members wanted it, can it also be rescinded by a majority of the membership?
Rule 10 was not brought on by any majority. It was brought on by a loud minority. This forum is not a democracy, but the implementation of that rule was a perfect example of doing the wrong thing to please a few who had complaints. It was also the direction the administration wanted to go, so it was a convenient excuse. Whatever, nothing is great forever.

FWIW, I don't really blame the admins for the change. I wouldn't want to do that job. I don't have the time or the skill, so I don't have the right to bitch. That won't stop me sometimes, but I'll keep it in check. Haha, maybe THAT'S the problem. We didn't used to seem to be so well kept in check. Huh..........

I did my first solo oil change in my flannel nighty one chilly Canadian morning in my garage, laptop by my side for step by step instruction.
Worthless without pictures! Now THAT would go far toward making this forum more fun. Um, hubba hubba.

Otherwise, though, great post. Barb.

I might be wrong, but I read that admin job thread (esp. with the apparent implication in Bounce citing it) as "F#ck it, I'm done with running this thing, someone who can and wants to do it, please step up." Not sure why that would require the vacating management's pre-transfer rules to remain in force. Like I said, I could be wrong.

• "Long-time FJRForum.com member in good standing with current administrators and/or recognized FJR community contributor compatible and supportive of FJRForum.com core and founding principles"

My read of "compatible and supportive of the core and founding principles" means said Admin would defend and uphold any and all current rules. And Rich, I too could be wrong, but I don't read any part of that ad as an invitation to any of us old troublemakers to come on board and make changes.

It has been a long time since we had a good airing out on this forum. Sure, some of the best people are gone forever, but they were only part of the equation. Maybe it is the life cycle of a forum for it to peak and then become more of a resource and less of a fun place to visit. Certainly the fact that there is a good alternative forum has had an impact on participation here. I participate in both fora equally, but rarely post the same thing in both.

If rule 10 is part of the problem then maybe it is time to revisit the rules and change what needs changing. I just reread them and find them to be heavily dependent on objective enforcement by the administrators. If they need to be firmed up, or loosened, then this may be a good time to discuss that.

I often disagree with the judgement of one or more of our administrators, but I do believe that this is their house and I am a guest so I live by their judgement when visiting as much as possible. I have neither the technical skills nor the desire to become an administrator. Without moderation of some sort this place would be overwhelmed by unrelated posts about products and political opinions, so moderation is necessary. I believe it could be accomplished successfully with a lighter touch than what we have today, but as I said, I don't want the job.

With some changes we may be able to become more of a fun place to visit. Otherwise, I suspect that the decline in participation will continue.

For those in the mood for a direction change, I reference this post from not long ago:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/173124-wanted-forum-administrator/
While that is a "fair comment" delivered with your usual brevity, we probably shouldn't open that topic up here. He locked it after he posted it for good reason. If we start dissecting this one here there will definitely be some Ugliness that can't be unsaid.
Sorry. That wasn't my intent. I was wanting to remind everyone that it's out there as a possibility for someone motivated enough to step up. The way I read it is that it's a stepping stone to ownership.

• "Long-time FJRForum.com member in good standing with current administrators and/or recognized FJR community contributor compatible and supportive of FJRForum.com core and founding principles"

My read of "compatible and supportive of the core and founding principles" means said Admin would defend and uphold any and all current rules. And Rich, I too could be wrong, but I don't read any part of that ad as an invitation to any of us old troublemakers to come on board and make changes.
In other words if there's a transition.....

quote-meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss-pete-townshend-311270.jpg

Allright….my 2 cents, for what it’s worth*hops off soapbox, goes to make din-din*

b, with her signature:
evilsmiley.png
2 cents my azz!!! I spent all morning reading this.

You owe me an hour.

Oh and ride safe tonight.
vampire.gif
Couldn't find a broom for ya.

heart.gif
Nice to see some folks coming out of hibernation. This forum could use a bit of a jump start.

Oh Barry, I'm sure an hour with Barb would kill you. JSNS
rolleyes.gif
uhoh.gif
no.gif

Allright….my 2 cents, for what it’s worth*hops off soapbox, goes to make din-din*

b, with her signature:
evilsmiley.png

You owe me an hour.

vampire.gif

heart.gif
Nice to see some folks coming out of hibernation. This forum could use a bit of a jump start.

rolleyes.gif
uhoh.gif
no.gif
I doubt he'd last 3 minutes...
rolleyes.gif

b, with her signature:
evilsmiley.png

You owe me an hour.

vampire.gif

heart.gif

rolleyes.gif
uhoh.gif
no.gif
rolleyes.gif
Ya, I know Joe, I am slowing down...

5 years ago he'd be dead in 1, and not from that fun stuff Ray is alluding to....
bad.gif
bleh.gif

b, with her signature:
evilsmiley.png

You owe me an hour.

vampire.gif

heart.gif

rolleyes.gif
uhoh.gif
no.gif
rolleyes.gif
Ya, I know Joe, I am slowing down...

5 years ago he'd be dead in 1, and not from that fun stuff Ray is alluding to....
bad.gif
bleh.gif
This is the best thread in several years.. Ran out of likes days ago... I love all of you... :)

I would have to agree even though you ditched meeting up with me in Arkansas... this has been a good way to pass the time on my flight home and get caught up with some folks that I've missed here as well... I too have made some life long friends here including my Sistah From Another Muthah...some good and salient posts and points... except for HRZ's dissing of ride reports... I resemble that remark, ya dickwad!
tongue.png

I would have to agree even though you ditched meeting up with me in Arkansas... this has been a good way to pass the time on my flight home and get caught up with some folks that I've missed here as well... I too have made some life long friends here including my Sistah From Another Muthah...some good and salient posts and points... except for HRZ's dissing of ride reports... I resemble that remark, ya dickwad!
tongue.png
I did not ditch you. Give me more notice next time so I can plan my best friends only daughters wedding to your visit...
headbonk.gif
:)