running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RFH - Most likely, since chains don't really "stretch", but rather the rollers wear, the cam chain was fine, and the dealer was stroking the warranty system and you to make some extra cash. Which is why the manufacturer fought it, since cam chains rarely wear out under any circumstances other than abuse/oil starvation, like happens to some sport bikes that wheelie for extended periods.

syn·thet·ic[sin-thet-ik]
adjective

1.of, pertaining to, proceeding by, or involving synthesis ( opposed to analytic ).
2. noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin:

Rotella T5 is clearly a real synthetic oil, since it is the product of a chemical process by human agency applied to an oil source of otherwise natural origin.

Many synthetic oils are made by cracking the molecules of mineral oil. Those that manufacture oils from different sources (cough, AMSOIL) try to discount the "synthetic" claims because the source was, in fact, oil to begin with. We are dealing with semantics here and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in the end. You could synthesize your motor oil from cake frosting and whale sperm (if that were possible) and it would be no more or less "synthetic" than Rotella T5. The only important thing in it is, what are the properties of the end product. How well does it perform under various conditions for the application at hand. Not how synthetic it happens to be.

Now don't get me started on "natural" foods claims... ;)

Test it. If it has DNA it's organic, if it doesn't have DNA it's synthetic
wink.png
Then again, chemically analyze what comes out of the ground and then analyze what's in the can on your work bench. It will be hard to tell that the two were ever related based on secondary content and polymerization of the hydrocarbon chains.

To which I would now like to say --

HEY PATRIOT, what's the news on your bike? Heard anything yet? Did the mechanic have any words of wisdom when he looked at it? (bending the thread back toward the rails it just fell off of)

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are on to me. "Organic" is another pet peeve. But you will always pay more for it, that is for sure.

PS - This is just thread filler material until we hear the mechanic's opinion. Then we can resume denouncing the crappy design of the CCT.

To which I would now like to say --
HEY PATRIOT, what's the news on your bike? Heard anything yet? Did the mechanic have any words of wisdom when he looked at it? (bending the thread back toward the rails it just fell off of)
As always, thank you sir for your wisdom. And thank you for veering us back toward the topic at hand. I promise I had no intention of turning this into an oil thread. I was seriously just asking if there were a correlation, and you answered that quite well.

syn·thet·ic

[sin-thet-ik]
adjective

1.of, pertaining to, proceeding by, or involving synthesis ( opposed to analytic ).
2. noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin:

Rotella T5 is clearly a real synthetic oil, since it is the product of a chemical process by human agency applied to an oil source of otherwise natural origin.

Many synthetic oils are made by cracking the molecules of mineral oil. Those that manufacture oils from different sources (cough, AMSOIL) try to discount the "synthetic" claims because the source was, in fact, oil to begin with. We are dealing with semantics here and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in the end. You could synthesize your motor oil from cake frosting and whale sperm (if that were possible) and it would be no more or less "synthetic" than Rotella T5. The only important thing in it is, what are the properties of the end product. How well does it perform under various conditions for the application at hand. Not how synthetic it happens to be.

Now don't get me started on "natural" foods claims...
wink.png
Thanks Fred, that's interesting stuff. I just hope T5 isn't high in Omega-6?

Al.

Just keep taking your fish oil supplements. 'Cause your doctor has a "feeling" it is good for you based on something someone said somewhere. And that's how medical science works, you know?

Rotella T6 is synthetic...period..some people on this forum are full of scheise-not me of course- right now I,m full of Maker's Mark -[84 proof]. And Sazook cam chains never wear out.
oneeyedsmiley.png

I hope there is news before we all have to read it in NEPRT.
+1, Gunny; I am with you Tomaso, I have no idea why Fred W and ionbeam are constantly sending these threads off of the damn rails! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

That's what happens with the Forum Smart Guys...they send them ALL spiraling out of control to NEPRT.

Don, did you "get any" on your Mexico trip?

(fellow riders don't count)

Uh, Patriot? Oh Patriot! Have you heard anything from the mechanic today? We really need some information.
have a friggin' broken pipe under my bathroom...don't get paid till the 3rd...guess I'll know the plumbing bill and hopefully the bike situation by then to make more troubling decisions
News from Isabella..??What kind of disease has the girl..???
I promise to report when I am informed...there were 4-5 bikes already there ahead of me and Aaron is a lone mechanic...at least he had a helper to answer the phone and do some of the paperwork.

I'll try to remember to call Monday afternoon if I don't hear anything.

No matter, best case scenario of Isabella's troubles, I guessing is a $300 repair including CCT purchase. I'll have to wait till my disability is payed on the 3rd and see how much month March is looking like.

I've never floated a bill in the past, and I'm very uncomfortable doing it now.

Oh great, and it's tax season, too.

I'm keep all the stress low key for the sake of my kids...some of them, like Walker here, are so worried...

8474631051_514a6cda01_z.jpg

have a friggin' broken pipe under my bathroom...don't get paid till the 3rd...guess I'll know the plumbing bill and hopefully the bike situation by then to make more troubling decisions
a big relief...I just needed the flange replaced where the toilet "plugs" into the sewer pipe at the bottom of the toilet. With the toilet "in my arms" and unattached, I rebuilt it with new flowmaster valve, seals, flapper, and wax ring. Figured I'd get a new seat too.

But I digress other than closer to $100 fix vs the $1000 I feared.

That's what happens with the Forum Smart Guys...they send them ALL spiraling out of control to NEPRT.

Don, did you "get any" on your Mexico trip?

(fellow riders don't count)
RadioHowie, Papa Chuy Viejo was "In Like Flynn"! Cabo San Lucas made Miss Donna very frisky, even you could get laid in Cabo! Maybe!!!

285339_430440800368745_922437365_n.jpg

IMG_2837-1.jpg

(fellow riders don't count) No RH, SkooterG was not on this ride!