running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, get some sleep and be thinking about important stuff. Things like where I am buying our lunch...
lunch can wait till we get back to N.O...there's Arnaud's, Galatoires, or my fav is Commanders Palace...they are all pretty good

you decide which of the 3...Commander's has the jazz brunch and we should be back to uptown New Orleans by noon

yum yum
For those of you unfamiliar with the meanness that Patriot is doing here, let me fill you in. Arnaud's, Galatoire's, and Commander's Palace are three of the finest and most expensive restaurants in New Orleans. Keep in mind that New Orleans is a city known for fine and expensive restaurants. I would be lucky to escape with less than a $100 tab for lunch. I take it that he is starting to cheer up a little. That is good. I am just going to ignore him until Wednesday morning.

DO NOT get in that truck Mike. No self respecting man would be found in a Duramax.

Ok...Kidding. there should be plenty of room for your stuff, and not having to stress and drive should be a plus. Sounds like RFHunter has you covered.

Good on him.

Is it possible your cam chain has just stretched beyond the tensioner's ability to keep it tight, so it skipped a tooth and is making racket?? That's what came to my simple mind when you described the noise.

Hope it all works out ok...If not, I'll put the first $50 in the PayPal account and we'll get the donations started. **** it...What are friends and this Forum for if not that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to help in any way but i live very very far from there..

I am out of job last,but i am in in the donation with that i can give if or when will start.

Congrats Redfish
smile.png
and to HotRodZilla for his idea about the donation
good.gif

Patriot,

Do not worry,many people are near you now!You will ride your lovely isabella like the wind again very soon i believe!
smile.png

I devote to you my two favorite songs..:

I've been to Arnaud's. The waiter hit on me so bad I couldn't enjoy the meal, good as the food was. It was very embarrassing to drive 6 hours for the first weekend date with someone, go out for what is supposed to be the best dining experience for a zillion miles around, and have.... that...... happen.

I have a couple different ball mounts
I think I just found a new line for the caption picture threads.
biggrin.png

This thread has gotten much more entertaining as it's gone along, I'm glad I'm following it. And it can only go up from here.

Warning Patriot, RFH listens to "Mike and the Mechanics" over and over and over. Bring earplugs.
biggrin.png
Earplugs also work for when he turns off the music and starts talking, just say "Oh yea" and "That's right" every once in a while and he's all good.
biggrin.png

Enjoying this thread with Jason and the others. It's kind of like a ride report without the ride. I got a good feeling about this - it will work out just fine.

I feel kind of helpless as I have to work tomorrow, but I'll be thinking about ya'll. If you need anything, I'll be by the phone.

I was thinking that odds are, the bike's problem is the CCT. Shoot - the mechanic could change it and Mike could ride the bike home.

Wonder if anyone has a good used CCT they could overnight to Mississippi to help out a friend?

RFH - good on ya for helping Mike.

Mike - I see you're progressing through the stages of grief. Looks like you're at either denial or acceptance. Hard to say. But keep the faith, bruddah - hell, my FJR has survived 5 - count 'em 5 - Tech Days at Bust's place, including an incident where the exhaust cam fell off the cam chain during a valve check.

Repeat after me: Isabella will ride again.

The waiter hit on me so bad I couldn't enjoy the meal, good as the food was.
Sooo ... didjya get his number or what?

Warning Patriot, RFH listens to "Mike and the Mechanics" over and over and over. Bring earplugs.
biggrin.png
Earplugs also work for when he turns off the music and starts talking, just say "Oh yea" and "That's right" every once in a while and he's all good.
biggrin.png
Well, in honor of wfooshee's attraction for the waiter at Arnaud's and in the best spirit of the FJR forum, I will attempt to put together a playlist acceptable for our mission. I think that "The Village People Greatest Hits Album", and perhaps "The Best of Liberace" might be an excellent start. For sure I will not be playing any Country Music as Mike and I will both be crying before we get anywhere.

GixxerJasen, my compliments on Mike and the Mechanics. That little bit of humor was an excellent touch! I admit that I almost missed it...

DO NOT get in that truck Mike. No self respecting man would be found in a Duramax.
Ok...Kidding. there should be plenty of room for your stuff, and not having to stress and drive should be a plus. Sounds like RFHunter has you covered.

Good on him.

Is it possible your cam chain has just stretched beyond the tensioner's ability to keep it tight, so it skipped a tooth and is making racket?? That's what came to my simple mind when you described the noise.

Hope it all works out ok...If not, I'll put the first $50 in the PayPal account and we'll get the donations started. **** it...What are friends and this Forum for if not that?
Now that you know about our song selection, you know we are not "self respecting men".

Zilla, You are a good man, and like it or not, sometimes mediocre minds think alike.

Well, I'll be damned. I have been in email contact with another forum member this morning. He doesn't post a whole bunch. Looks like his 04 FJR grenaded the motor due to a bad CCT. I am still trying to get more details. But it had 102,000 miles and was on the original CCT. He says he hadn't noticed anything unusual sounding. All of a sudden it started making a bunch of noise. He rode it 30 miles to a gas station and after shutting it down, that was it. He thinks there was piston/valve contact, but wouldn't that stop an engine dead?

Interesting that every CCT failure/grenaded motor has been to an 04 FJR.

Oh, and he is a Darksider too. Correlation?

Well, I'll be damned. I have been in email contact with another forum member this morning. He doesn't post a whole bunch. Looks like his 04 FJR grenaded the motor due to a bad CCT. I am still trying to get more details. But it had 102,000 miles and was on the original CCT. He says he hadn't noticed anything unusual sounding. All of a sudden it started making a bunch of noise. He rode it 30 miles to a gas station and after shutting it down, that was it. He thinks there was piston/valve contact, but wouldn't that stop an engine dead?
If the timing chain slipped so much that there was piston/valve contact there also would not be any compression....and that would stop the engine dead. From what you are describing it sounds like some other part failed and the problem spread pretty quickly. Riding it 30 miles after the noise started probably was not the right thing to do.

If the timing chain slipped so much that there was piston/valve contact there also would not be any compression....and that would stop the engine dead. From what you are describing it sounds like some other part failed and the problem spread pretty quickly. Riding it 30 miles after the noise started probably was not the right thing to do.
No, but he was out in the middle of nowhere, and he probably figured it was still running so what the heck............

I questioned his diagnosis, and his reply was he trusts he tech - racer and mechanic for 15 years - who reported to him there was a 1/2" gap between valve and cam shaft. Perhaps one valve 'stuck' and it broke on contact taking out that cylinder?

For sure I will not be playing any Country Music as Mike and I will both be crying before we get anywhere.
Just play it backwards.

You'll get your dog back, your pickup back, your job back, your double-wide back, and your girl back (with no more or less teeth than she had when you lost her)!

No, but he was out in the middle of nowhere, and he probably figured it was still running so what the heck............

I questioned his diagnosis, and his reply was he trusts he tech - racer and mechanic for 15 years - who reported to him there was a 1/2" gap between valve and cam shaft. Perhaps one valve 'stuck' and it broke on contact taking out that cylinder?
If that was the only valve with the gap then it doesn't sound like the CCT, I don't know how a valve could stick unless the valve spring broke but I suppose its possible that the valve stem itself could have come apart. I bet the inside of that cylinder is a real mess.

For sure I will not be playing any Country Music as Mike and I will both be crying before we get anywhere.
Just play it backwards.

You'll get your dog back, your pickup back, your job back, your double-wide back, and your girl back (with no more or less teeth than she had when you lost her)!
I'd like to have the dog back, and I still have the best pickup I ever had. It was a single wide and when I moved out of it there was an oak tree stuck in the middle of it, I don't want that back. If I ever do get rid of the girl I don't want her back either. Although the girl herself could be classified as a "double wide"... I could have all the motorcycles I ever wanted if I did not have to buy groceries for BigUn...

GixxerJasen, my compliments on Mike and the Mechanics. That little bit of humor was an excellent touch! I admit that I almost missed it...
The best jokes are based off of real life. I went to lunch with a coworker a few years ago and there in his center console was a Mike and the Mechanics CD. Was like WTF dude? He had no answer and we still tease him about that off and on.
biggrin.png