running bad (feeling blessed)...limped home (walking on air)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been to Arnaud's. The waiter hit on me so bad I couldn't enjoy the meal, good as the food was. It was very embarrassing to drive 6 hours for the first weekend date with someone, go out for what is supposed to be the best dining experience for a zillion miles around, and have.... that...... happen.
He must have thought you were cute Walt. Take it as a compliment. :))

I've been to Arnaud's. The waiter hit on me so bad I couldn't enjoy the meal, good as the food was. It was very embarrassing to drive 6 hours for the first weekend date with someone, go out for what is supposed to be the best dining experience for a zillion miles around, and have.... that...... happen.
He must have thought you were cute Walt. Take it as a compliment. :))
No...I think Walt was just another A-hole to him...

GixxerJasen, my compliments on Mike and the Mechanics. That little bit of humor was an excellent touch! I admit that I almost missed it...
The best jokes are based off of real life. I went to lunch with a coworker a few years ago and there in his center console was a Mike and the Mechanics CD. Was like WTF dude? He had no answer and we still tease him about that off and on.
biggrin.png
Same thing happened to me except that it was a Richard Marx CD our co-worker had in the player. Repeat Offender was the name IIRC. We really had a field day with that one.

Back on topic:

Patriot and I just finalized plans, I have his address, we are sitting on go.

I am working tonight, I'll get home tomorrow morning, shower, cook breakfast for the family and head out to New Orleans. I should be in a fantastic mood by the time I get out of New Orleans. I am really looking forward to doing this, I actually feel like I am doing something important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome - keep us up to date as best you can - Hope the path hearing it purr again is short...

Back on topic:

Patriot and I just finalized plans, I have his address, we are sitting on go.

I am working tonight, I'll get home tomorrow morning, shower, cook breakfast for the family and head out to New Orleans. I should be in a fantastic mood by the time I get out of New Orleans. I am really looking forward to doing this, I actually feel like I am doing something important.

This is 'edge of your seat' stuff. Can't wait for the next installment .
smile.png

I hope it is not a tear jerker. I want to hear 'the cam chain had loosened up a bit and jumped a tooth but zero engine damage and now it's purring like a kitten'.

Al.

smile.png
I hope it is not a tear jerker. I want to hear 'the cam chain had loosened up a bit and jumped a tooth but zero engine damage and now it's purring like a kitten'.

Al.
and "I put a manual CCT on the bitch because the only reason a cam chain can loosen is the POS OEM CCT is a worthless POS that WILL allow the cam chain to loosen up!"

smile.png

Al.
and "I put a manual CCT on the bitch because the only reason a cam chain can loosen is the POS OEM CCT is a worthless POS that WILL allow the cam chain to loosen up!"
No need for a manual CCT anymore RFH. The spring is much stiffer on the replacement CCT part. Night and day.

smile.png

Al.
No need for a manual CCT anymore RFH. The spring is much stiffer on the replacement CCT part. Night and day.
the bitch is I provided a new and improved CCT when mechanic dude replaced all the bearings, wheels, stem, and services all the grease parts. It went into the new used engine at 125k mi ... 40k ago.

I remember checking that it had the blue dot

that's f'in scary, but then my 3 gremlin bells obviously need exorcism pronto

I guess something could have gone ary when he replaced the burnt valve and had the head off and then back on. But it ran fine for 10-15k mi.

If there is no down side to that manual CCT...maybe it's something to consider...opinions...don't know how long it would take to get it compared to new CCT...I would have it shipped direct to the shop. Or just have him order a new improved stock CCT.

<shakes head>

You must have a purdy mouth boy!

smile.png

Al.
Ahem..........(look down)

the bitch is I provided a new and improved CCT when mechanic dude replaced all the bearings, wheels, stem, and services all the grease parts. It went into the new used engine at 125k mi ... 40k ago.
Not wanting to stir the pot, but, assuming the problem IS cam chain/CCT related, yes the new tensioner, with the stronger spring, is better than the pre-2008 OEM version.

But, the overall design hasn't changed in that the CCT is NOT a zero-return design. IF the spring loses tension, IF the spring breaks, IF the spring reaches the end of its "tension life", the CCT can retract. And we all know what can happen then.

Until the FJR comes with a zero-return cam chain tensioner, every FJR on the road, from 2003 to 2013 is a potential time bomb.

Not being "Chicken Little" here, but that's a simple truth.

that's f'in scary, but then my 3 gremlin bells obviously need exorcism pronto
I hear that in order to be effective, gremlin bells must be given to you by a friend.

"hint hint"
they were...each from...the Bell Fairy from the Vulcan 750 forum...a PGR buddy...and ShinyPartsUp Michael here on the forum

that bastard Michael probably bought it in Salem, Massachuetts

then I get home, and my AIW (Angelic Italian Wifey) tells me water bubbled up through the grout in the bathroom when she took a bath !!! <sigh>

it's "all" good in the big scheme of things

my short sermon to others who get self absorbed and forget to "not sweat the small stuff" is:

come on...nobody died, nobody has cancer, nobody is really sick, nobody is a victim of crime, nobody was in or caused an accident...so compared, stuff doesn't matter

so I need to stop sweating !!! <even the bank accout with more month than money lately !!!>

smile.png

While we wait on pictures of the dynamic duo loading the bike onto the trailer....why is it that manufacturers can't seem to design a decent CCT? Lots of bikes have problems with these, like the Suzuki DRZ for instance. Even my car is known to have CCT failures. Is this such a difficult part to manufacture to operate correctly? Seems there's a lot of money out there for a designer to fix this without going manual....

No down side at all, other than having to remember to check it every so often. Hopefully before you hear the chain slapping around....

But seriously, it can't fail unless you just leave it loose. Which would be real stoopid. It's set, and it won't move, tighter or looser. You check it and skitch it down when you need to.

If there is no down side to that manual CCT...maybe it's something to consider...