Russell Seats taking a stance... (my rant)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read anyone saying anything about the freight/shipping cost the customer is going to have to endure if in fact it goes back to russell and that is not cheap.
That's a pretty common policy. It's generally your dime to return anything these days. FWIW, I just sent a Russell pillion seat across the country for $25 via USPS. It's not that expensive. Especially if you don't have to have it there fast.

I view the issue as somewhat cosmetic, but also likely a result of the customer requests on the wings. We may never know exactly what was said by either party here. I can appreciate that the OP is not happy. But the old song about attracting more bees with honey than vinegar comes to mind too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actions speak louder than words, and I just added Russell to my suspect seat manufacturer list. Right below Corbin. Really is a shame they didn't make it right. Sorry you had to go through this. Don't grind down the handle. That could be a bigger hassel if you sell the bike later.
What ever the cost to russell may have been he just lost at least one customer. I can't believe people are telling this person to grind down his latches to accomadate an unfunctional seat. What ever happened to customer satisfaction. Sargeant gives you 30 days moneyback guarantee. Granted it is not a custom seat but they are making a statement about their product.

What ever the cost to russell may have been he just lost at least one customer. I can't believe people are telling this person to grind down his latches to accomadate an unfunctional seat. What ever happened to customer satisfaction. Sargeant gives you 30 days moneyback guarantee. Granted it is not a custom seat but they are making a statement about their product.
Has anybody contacted Russell to get their side of this story? I was serious when I posted earlier about considering this saddle. And I am dead serious that unless they asked him about interference and he specifically told them to go ahead, I would not buy from them unless they fixed this guys seat. I don't care if it's one in a million right now, times are tough and this could be the first of many unsatisfied customers.

I have no idea what happened here...until the photos are shown and the work description is given.

Believe me...I've got big assTM wings on my Russell seat...

005.jpg

003.jpg

No issue what so ever.

This is the FIRST time I have ever heard of an issue with Russell...therefore, in my book. I trust this seat MFR until I see proof...input pictures and work order instructions that show me differently. Too many satisfied customers...me being one of them...to toss them under the bus without this evidence.

Has anybody contacted Russell to get their side of this story? I was serious when I posted earlier about considering this saddle. And I am dead serious that unless they asked him about interference and he specifically told them to go ahead, I would not buy from them unless they fixed this guys seat. I don't care if it's one in a million right now, times are tough and this could be the first of many unsatisfied customers.
Sounds like you are volunteering? Let us know how that discussion goes...

Sounds like you are volunteering? Let us know how that discussion goes...
I hear ya, it's just that these guys bread and butter is the sport touring market, you would think that somebody at Russell would have heard of this thread and addressed the issue here. I only frequent car and detailing forums besides this one, and on any of those the small boutiques are well represented digitally and respond to these types of problems.

Yeah, the more I think about this, I think somethis is amiss here... not so sure it is with Russell, either...
gunny
FUZZY BALLS!!!

As some of you know I do custom sign and Plaque work, most of it via the web.. I've been accused of being a prick when dealing with customers when orders are placed because I insist on exact specifications before I start any job.. I get the "oh don't worry about it! Whatever ya do will be fine" shit now and then. I guarantee you will get nothing from me with that kind of statement.. For just the reason this shit is happening now.. <_<

As far as I'm concerned until both sides are heard, this is just a bunch of Noise.. It ain't going to accomplish shit

Though I'll admit I'm siding with Russell.. ;)

:jester:

I hear ya, it's just that these guys bread and butter is the sport touring market, you would think that somebody at Russell would have heard of this thread and addressed the issue here.
Sport-touring Market? As I looked through their pictures I notice many "touring" bikes. These folks build lots of saddles and not just for the sport-touring crowd.

Perhaps someone from the forum will contact Russell for their side, BUT their response will surely be limited by privacy responsibilities (to their customer) and legal liabilities (per their attorney). I would suppose they do not follow every website for every motorcycle as their focus is running their upholstery business and building motorcycle seats (they are not just a seat building company).

My personal choice is to wait rather than rush to judgment. Hopefully the OP can resolve this with Russell. IIRC it has been suggested that emotions were elevated so that responses were dictated by that dynamic. NONE OF US were "privvy" to that conversation nor will we have access to the parameters given by the buyer or how closely instructions were followed.

I happened to be in contact with Russell yesterday about having my seat rebuilt. They did it about 75k ago and it seems the mass of my ass has overcome the ability of the foam to support it. And I'm such a little guy. :rolleyes:

I mentioned the issue that has been raised here and although they would not go into details there are two sides to the story and they were working with the customer to resolve the problem. I have been a Russell fan and customer for years and have never heard of an issue that wasn't solved to the satisfaction of all concerned.

The other issue that hasn't been overcooked yet, if I understand the OP correctly, is Russell's decision to void the warranty. Why?

As someone else pointed out, it's time to move up Russell's chain of command.

Many need to take a chill pill here.

We've got a person with 24 posts and no forum cred posting a thread with "my rant" in the title. That's charged to begin with. We get one side, but there seems to some question about some photos and whether they came running here first.

We've also got a vendor that has had a seemingly spotless record on customer satisfaction. One that prides itself in providing a truly custom seat and expects the purchaser to be involved in the process to provide details and pictures for them to build a custom saddle. We've had members set up numerous Group Buys directly on this forum and even one currently going that's indirect on another.

We've also had a couple people suggest they need to come on here and defend themself, but this forum also has some very special rules for vendors to follow management applies. I would be wary as a vendor walking into this thread myself!

I'm sure that Russell is looking into it...and I'm sure they're trying to fix it. But, if this is a case (and I emphasize "if") the poster has purposely come running here first instead of earnestly working with them to resolve the issue amicably....he's not doing our forum a service. We have a reputation for having many reasonable customers and I want us to keep that.

Yeah, yeah...I know the customer's always right.....except when they're a totally unreasonable jerk. Again, I don't know if that's true, but am sure there's more to this story than presented.

So, I'm making the STRONG suggestion that people refrain into turning this into some sort of witch trial. Let Russell and the OP try and work things out.

Thank you!

The Management

The other issue that hasn't been overcooked yet, if I understand the OP correctly, is Russell's decision to void the warranty. Why?
As I stated previously, I'm betting the OP misunderstood what Russell said about the warranty. I'm willing to bet that they said that any structural modifications that they now make to the seat would void their "Comfort Guarantee", not the seat's warranty.

It only makes sense to me that after they made the seat to their best ability, the the owner decided to have some modifications made to the seat for other than comfort problems, the Comfort Guarantee would go out the window.

As I stated previously, I'm betting the OP misunderstood what Russell said about the warranty. I'm willing to bet that they said that any structural modifications that they now make to the seat would void their "Comfort Guarantee", not the seat's warranty.

It only makes sense to me that after they made the seat to their best ability, the the owner decided to have some modifications made to the seat for other than comfort problems, the Comfort Guarantee would go out the window.
+1000

This is a custom seat. If you know what to ask for, you can get a better seat for your needs right off the bat, but most of us don't know what to ask for, or what we shouldn't ask for, when ordering our first custom seat. Russell really works with you if you make the effort to communicate. And frankly, if you don't say dick and just take the pictures they ask for, following their guidelines, you get a damn fine seat. After all, they do know how to make a seat.

We have someone ranting because they asked for specific cosmetic efforts, and are now upset due to the minor interference caused by same. Now he's apparently asking for changes in that same area, still cosmetic, and surprised that they are going to charge him? :dribble:

This whole thing is a tempest in a teacup. Any other Russell customer will tell you good things about the company's customer service. It's not the seat for everyone, but when ever someone says they don't like the looks of it, I always tell them to go elsewhere because I know they don't ride enough for it to be a problem with a less comfortable seat.

As to Sergeant's warranty. That's awesome. But no one takes back custom seats built on your own seat pan. The Sergeant seat is just another aftermarket part, and as such can be re-sold. Never mind it has much less labor involved since it was made on an assembly line along with dozens of other seats exactly the same. Might be a fine seat for many, but it's not a one off custom seat on your own pan. There is a huge difference.

Actually, I read back through this quickly growing thread, and that is exactly what the OP said:

Unless Russell Seats takes at least partial ownership and helps with this issue I will be stuck between a rock and a hard place. They want us to pay and have lead me to believe the repair will void the comfort warranty. My wife is going to talk with them again later today to see how we can get this issue resolved.

Hello,

It has be brought to our attention that there are some people angered by the post(s) from PopCycl. There has been some misinformation posted towards us that does not include the truth and accurate information. We have asked the customer to rectify and post both sides of the story. If he does not by Monday we will post the full details.

Russell Cycle Products.

Bwahaaaahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fridays is always the bestest.

After sending more pictures, making a few more phone calls, and sending more emails I believe both parties have come to an amicable solution. We will be shipping the passenger seat back for adjustment with both parties absorbing some of the cost. I want to thank everyone for your input and, to some, your assistance in this matter. Terry (the owner) has been very helpful the past couple of days working with us toward a solution.

That being said I feel the need for a more personal comment aside from my issue with Russell Seats. I will agree to a point that my choice of adding "my rant" to the subject line may have been a bit much but calling in to question my integrity based on the fact that I have a low post count is equally egregious. I did NOT post anything to this forum without first contacting Russell Seats, twice, and hitting a brick wall. At no time during this, or any of my other 25 posts, have I defamed Russell Seats or another forum member. I presented facts and did not intentionally leave out any information that would slant opinion my way. When I presented my case to Russell and here on this forum I purposely stated the quality and comfort of the seat was good. The issue I had was the fitment and functionality.

I tried to edit the subject line of this topic to remove the phrase "my rant" and replace it with "resolved" so that everyone would know that Russell Seats has backed their reputation of being a quality company but could not do so. I am pleased with the outcome of the situation and appreciate the avenue forums such as this one provide when situations like mine require different viewpoints (and maybe a little mediation). Anyone reading this post and considering purchasing a Russell Seat should not be motivated against because of my issue. Just be forearmed and provide as much detail as possible to help avoid possible problems.