SCAB DOWN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daaaaaang! This has got to stop. The good news is that the rider and bike were not severely damaged (Mental issues notwithstanding). Scab, you'll be even more sore tomorrow when the rest of your muscles begin to "check in" as the adrenalin is flushed from your system.

Are we trying to write a new motto: "We put the crash into sport touring" ?

Really glad your ok. Im at work now or I would have been with you guys. I certanly understand the part about putting on a little extra speed when your with a group. I have never met a motorcycle enthusiast that didnt have a competitive streak. When your having fun it is easy to get carried away. Once again glad you and the bike came thru it in pretty good shape.

What has to stop, the comments or the crashes? I thought all of us lived in the land of the free and

the right to free speech with out censor ship? rite or wrong? What is this forum all about, silent comments

and not be heard ? Not trying to bash anyone, but this is what makes this forum.

weekend rider :D :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

There isn't anything that could explain those pressures except a bad air guage or operator error. It takes a 50 degree F change in temperature to change the air volume (and pressure) by 10 percent. Whatever cold tire pressures you run in the summer, you should use 10-15 percent less in the winter. Starting with lower tire pressures in the cold weather will help your tires to run hotter (than with the higher pressures) but they still will not run as hot in the winter as they do in the summer and traction will suffer as a result. When you combine a cold tire on a even colder surface the resulting traction with that surface is not very good.
+1

Glad to hear your OK scab. Just a little confirmation on MCRider here.

PV=nRT... Mechanical engineer in me kicking in here. V,n,R about constant => P1/P2= T1/T2.

56.7psi/74.7psi = .759 = 265K/T2 => Would require operating temp of ~350K or ~170F IIRC how this goes. So unless you were doing burnouts, definitely a gauge/operator problem.

Thanks for sharing your story Scab. I'm glad you're OK.

Things I'll try to remember from reading this thread:

* Ride my own ride.

* Get a good tire gauge and use it often.

* Experiment with lowering tire pressure a few pounds before the twisties.

Recovery quickly, and take care.

OC_Ed

That really sucks! Glad your okay!

A thought on the tire pressure, lf you checked them cold at 20 degrees last night and the ambient temp was ~ 45 degrees when you fell tire temp would have been ~ 85-90 degrees? (A guess). What difference in pressure would that make?

Scab, man you got to stop runnin off into ditches. Glad to hear you and the bike suffered minimal loss though and hope your back in the saddle soon. Speaking of which, here the other day I was admiring your great stitch work on the FJ's seat and now this. Get well soon and hope you and your families Christmas will be blessed. PM. <>< :blink:

Glad you are ok!
2247302-plus1.gif
2247302-plus1.gif
+
2247302-plus1.gif
[SIZE=36pt]= + 2[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to bet the inflated tire pressure, plus the cold pavement didn't help matters.
Glad you're ok, albeit a bit sore about now :(

:jester:
Yep, if the pressure was that high you were riding on solid wood tires :blink: Someone mentioned your foot. Did it get caught between bike and pavement?

Scab, I'm glad you are none the worse for wear and that much wiser after your escapade into the foliage.... B)

Stef

WTF!.......Is it something in the air?? Thank God your alright Scab. Every time I read one of these threads I lose a couple of MPH on my corner entrance. There is nothing worse than that feeling of loss of control. Take it easy out there everybody.

P.S.--Its just an avatar...

Glad you're not seriously injured. Could have been much worse. I had a very close one this year myself due to lack of focus, but I was lucky enough to catch myself in time and stay upright. It is sobering.

Hey scab!

Glad to hear you are ok!

Thanks for being honest about this whole experiance!

It's something we ALL need to take into consideration.

Scab, we're all glad you're basically OK.

I've read through this thread and, because of my instincts for survival ("I may be a motorcyclist but I'm not positively suicidal"), I'd like to make a few comments. Flame me if you will.

Yes, I bit the dust today.
Brave admission. Shows you will learn from your experience. (And allow us to learn as well).
FIXATED on the ditch dead ahead
We all know how easy that is. I practise looking at, then away from, imaginary hazards hopefully so that if I'm ever in a situation like yours I will cope. This has helped me survive one corner, entered it too quickly on a wet road. Saw the ditch, had to consciously think (I may have said it out loud) "Look where you want to go, trust your bike", followed my own advice, and managed to stay on the road. (That was the most lean I've ever had on a wet road.)
Speaking of tires... DAMN NEAR 60 PSI IN REAR! WTF? Is this due to it being about 20 degrees
No way the temperature. Definitely operator error or bad gauge. Most likely the gauge since both tyres were high pressure.
I don't know what road it was. I was just following the group and enjoying not having to keep track of the roads. I wish I could blame it on some loose stuff, but no. And really, there was no pressure to keep up except from myself. Sometimes it can be a good thing to push the envelope and better your skills. At least, it has worked before. Today just wasn't that day. "Ride your ride" is all well and good advice, but I made the decision to try to change "my ride". I got bit. I am not trying to make light of any safety advice, but some of this is inevitably the nature of the beast. I have been on rides where I just spoke up and said; "This is the best I can do." I am not afraid to stand out. So, no pressure. These guys are great. It was just me making a bad decision. Plain and simple. Truth be known, I have been doing this alot lately. (pushing myself) Mostly alone, but with the luxury of knowing the road. What I shouldn't have done today was do this on an unknown road. (well that, and other stuff I am sure) But ultimately, no one bears any share of this responsibility but me.
All very sensible. It's all too easy to allow yourself to push too hard particularly when you are with others, either in a group you are with, or coming up to (or even, dare I say, being caught up by) other riders. The macho part of our mentality never likes to be outdone by another rider, and we feel proud of ourselves when we can later brag about our prowess.
Whatever cold tire pressures you run in the summer, you should use 10-15 percent less in the winter.
I can't agree. Whilst I accept the logic (less pressure = more warming), to maintain the summer temperature in winter you must be putting more heat into the tyre (heat into tyre must = heat lost from tyre, more heat loss in winter temperatures, so tyre is squirming more to generate that heat. Squirming tyre is not gripping as well as non-squirming tyre. Accept the cooler temperature, ride knowing you have less grip, it can be just as satisfying. You are not in a race (are you?), just enjoying the ride.In any case, what would happen if you had an "off", possibly hurt someone, the police check your vehicle to find your tyre pressures are below manufacturer's recommendation?

"Well, officer, I deliberately run with low pressure in winter. I've got this theory...".

Right or wrong, you won't get any sympathy in a court.

PV=nRT... Mechanical engineer in me kicking in here. V,n,R about constant => P1/P2= T1/T2.
56.7psi/74.7psi = .759 = 265K/T2 => Would require operating temp of ~350K or ~170F IIRC how this goes. So unless you were doing burnouts, definitely a gauge/operator problem.
I absolutely agree. Just a reminder for those not used to physics, temperature in the PV=nRT equation has T in absolute measure (Kelvin in this example). So twice 40F is NOT 80F, in spite of what a lot of weather forecasters say.
Things I'll try to remember from reading this thread:* Ride my own ride.

* Get a good tire gauge and use it often.

* Experiment with lowering tire pressure a few pounds before the twisties.

OC_Ed
I agree with the 1 and 2, not with 3.

A thought on the tire pressure, lf you checked them cold at 20 degrees last night and the ambient temp was ~ 45 degrees when you fell tire temp would have been ~ 85-90 degrees? (A guess). What difference in pressure would that make?
Absolute zero F is about -460F, so 20F is 480 absF, 85F is 545 absF, pressure will be up by 545/480. Start at (say) 40PSI cold, gives 45.4PSI hot.

You left a pretty good skidmark on the road.
Get yourself an ABS bike. It might just save your life.

Just my 2p (or 2c)'s worth -

Ride your own ride.

Make sure you can stop within the road you can see to be clear. I don't care how well you know the road, you don't know what's just round the corner. Practise "vanishing point" riding (but keep an eye on your speedo, it's too easy to go too fast for the law).

Anyone come up behind you - wave them by immediately. Otherwise youe find yuo don't want to give way later. Watch them in front of you, you may learn somethimg (good or bad).

Come up behind another rider - hang back until you get a clear opportunity to overtake. Never let them think you are racing. Use a classic "drop two gears, flash headlights, indicate and go". Give them a wave (NOT a finger).

Phew. Anyone who's read this far, congrats! Start the flames ...

Wow... glad to hear you made it out mostly intact. Sucks about the tire pressure... Smartire can be had from G. McCoy for about $160... and gives you a continuous backup in case your handheld gauge or operator error come into play during a top off...
Glad to hear that you are OK. I got a price from McCoy last week for the Smartire at $143.69 plus $10 for shipping. My order goes in tomorrow :(

>>Me? I am fine. jwilly had to pick the beast up off of me, as it had my right foot pinned underneath by means of the right rear peg.<<

Well, I'm jealous. When I fell on spilled gasoline at under 10 mph, I ended up with a seriously fubared ankle requiring surgery to fixate. Count your ass lucky. Glad it worked out well for you.

Scab -- glad that you only have minor soreness, and very proud of the post.

It takes big balls to admid a rider screw-up, and you've given the details for everyone to be able to learn from -- (target fixation, tire pressure, and the benefit of riding in groups)

again -- thanks for sharing, and glad you are ok, and thanking the other forum members for helping you get outta the ditch.

Truth be told, I had a similar incident about 18 months ago. No change in gear would have done a thing. I was too hot coming into a turn and became fixated on the side of the road and that's where the bike went.

Minor scrapes to the fairing and screen and a major bruise to the ego was the only damage.

In retrospect it was a blessing in disguise. I'm now much more careful to focus on the road, plan turns, etc.

Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!