SE Ohio Ramble - 2-4 May 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few minutes to put some html crap together - take a look, it's a work in progress, but we can use it each year for the Ramble. https://www.attacktheroad.com/ramble/

If you have pictures from previous Rambles you'd like to share via the gallery page on the site, email them to me - extrememarine at hotmail.com - use "RAMBLE PICTURES" in the subject line so my spam filter will catch them.

Wayne

See Post #1.

I'm in. I lost a job at the end of January, and unless something changes, I'm free and close. Need a room and will happily split if someone has 2-beds and only needs one.
Allen_C - 2up

bbdig

BikerGeek(s) - 2up

blrfjr - maybe

Bluebullet - 2up

bpeters

Bungie

Bungie's friend Ed

Bungie's friend Jim

chivvalry

DesignFlaw06 - maybe

drc32-0

El Toro Joe

Extrememarine - 2up

FredandJeannesRacer

FredW

hollywoodgt

gramps - solid maybe

gray ray

griff

Intech

Iris

Jada & Adam - Triumph riders from SC

Jay

jimjim - maybe

lapped traffic (gray ray's bro)

LCB

luvtoride

Oface

Petey

PhilJet09

pista

road runner

steve_g - maybe

stevec677

Takimanpgt - maybe

Top_Speed1

VMaxChuck

Wheaton - maybe

Wine Guy

Zooomm Again

08FJR4ME (Dave)

TominCA now (PA)
Must be an old list...I'm not a maybe anymore.

It would be great to see you again!

I copied the last list I found, but it is not the double column list on page 1 Add me in.

Mark, thanks. Haven't seen you since the Wheaton Ramble, and I think we found some interesting non-roads and passes to nowhere to ride.

FoothillRide039.jpg

Closed road test of FJR ability to cross a double yellow

FoothillRide068.jpg

Just curious if anyone else on this ride uses a GMRS bike to bike radio. Fairlaner and others got me hooked on this in CA and it's a great way to not only keep a ride organized, but fun too.

I run it for B2B. I think Oface has his working now; we can set a common event channel, I think I set to 3 right now.

Just curious if anyone else on this ride uses a GMRS bike to bike radio. Fairlaner and others got me hooked on this in CA and it's a great way to not only keep a ride organized, but fun too.

I run it for B2B. I think Oface has his working now; we can set a common event channel, I think I set to 3 right now.

I have an Autocom....

I have an Autocom....
I have an Autocom with Kenwood tranceiver and PTT. It's been great on rides where we space apart like is being talked about here, but I have also used it with ride partners on interstate cross-country trips. It sure is easier to pass long days when you can communicate.

naskie18 and I each have a J&M CB. I've been thinking about adding the GRMS radio to it, but can't justify the cost.

By the way, I've upgraded my chances of making to about 95%. Wife was surprisingly very open to the idea, even if it is for just Saturday. She's going to try and get Sunday night off so we can stay for both rides, but won't know that until the schedule is out. As long as we have a overnight sitter for the weekend, I think we'll be there.

Well I'm in if I can find someone to split a room.

Anybody out there need a second?
Steve...the wife is letting you hang out with the likes of Gray Ray and his brother Scrapedup for the weekend?
Yup...but only cause she can't ride yet. She had her rotator fixed and is not up for riding yet...

I hope GrayRay and his brother don't get me into any trouble...someone told me that they sometimes go over the speed limit!!

Not me...slow and straight!

Well I'm in if I can find someone to split a room.

Anybody out there need a second?
Steve...the wife is letting you hang out with the likes of Gray Ray and his brother Scrapedup for the weekend?
Yup...but only cause she can't ride yet. She had her rotator fixed and is not up for riding yet...

I hope GrayRay and his brother don't get me into any trouble...someone told me that they sometimes go over the speed limit!!

Not me...slow and straight!
haha.gif
haha.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of com systems. Is there a standarized com system that's mostly used
That's a loaded question - many travel buddies are using the bluetooth options from Sena or Scala. Others the GMRS option, and some the CB option. The group I ride with at EOM runs the GMRS. I run the GMRS because it's the only way I've found to get radar, nav, music(stereo), rider/passenger intercom & b2b integrated and prioritized (via starcom). There are other ways to get that done, but the Starcom prioritizes the signals to put the RD over top of everything.

Since I run the opposite as most....Scala.

Mainly b/c it's built in to the Schuberth C3-Pro (SRC Collar). The helmet is so awesome, I must follow the path of.

I just picked up the Nolan N-Com B4+ for my N-104 helmet...supposed to pair well with other com systems.

Many BT devices can incorporate a GMRS radio which has far more range and compatibility than Bluetooth, and is much quieter and longer range than CB. I have used a good military spec Kenwood GMRS with an external blade antenna to talk with a ride partner stuck in traffic in Jackson, while I was halfway up Teton Pass. There is no other solution out there that can come close.

Extrememarine nailed it. I run the GMRS bike to bike, along with GPS/phone/XM, RD, and aux music input,through an Autocom AV1 Pro and get prioritized high quality stereo sound thorugh a single wired connection. No batteries or connectivity, to worry about. Not cheap to do this.

I do have a complete dual set of uClear HBC 220d new in the box, used once if anyone wants to make an offer. For me BT is pretty good, but it still doesn't compare to the reliability and customization of the Autocom.