SE Ohio Ramble - 2-4 May 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a quick summer... cold n rainy here. :(

I'm scheduled for my initial 600 mile service this Sat. I would just do it myself but it was included in the pkg deal. I should of had those miles easily by now but I have been mesmerized w riding my other new lightweight toy. Choices are tough, just like the weather!

Just putting a word out there for anyone headed in through Elkins, WV or surrounding area. I'm leaving Norfolk Thursday morning & taking the fun way to Elkins, where I will meet Bob (Intech) & my bud, Jay early evening. We're spending the night @ The Holiday Inn Express in case there is anyone interested in stopping there for the night. We're planning to ride into Ohio the following day (Friday). Anyone that wants to do that is welcome to join us, Heidi

Early weather forecaast...Where I come from we don't see these clouds and cool temps! Looks like a storm, should we cancel?

Thu May 1
26.png
63° / 46° Cloudy
  • Chance of rain: 10%
  • Wind:WSW at 10 mph
Details

Fri May 2
26.png
60° / 45° Cloudy
  • Chance of rain:10%
  • Wind:WSW at 12 mph
Details

Sat May 3
26.png
61° 43° Cloudy
  • Chance of rain: 20%
  • Wind: WSW at 11 mph
Details

Sun May 4
30.png

62° / 42° Partly Cloudy
  • Wind: W at 11 mph

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom-not-in-California-anymore; you're going to need to find a cure this fear of precipitation - sorry, conditions over here have a little bit of variance in them at times. From my perspective, these are excellent riding conditions.

Early weather forecaast...Where I come from we don't see these clouds and cool temps! Looks like a storm, should we cancel?

Thu May 1
26.png
63° / 46° Cloudy
  • Chance of rain: 10%
  • Wind:WSW at 10 mph
Details

Fri May 2
26.png
60° / 45° Cloudy
  • Chance of rain:10%
  • Wind:WSW at 12 mph
Details

Sat May 3
26.png
61° 43° Cloudy
  • Wind: WSW at 11 mph
Details

Sun May 4
30.png

62° / 42° Partly Cloudy
  • Wind: W at 11 mph

It all depends on how you look at it:

10-20% chance of precipitation means 80-90% of sun for me!. And it\s warmer than it is in Ontario right now!

It's going to be a GREAT trip! Can't wait to see you there!

10-20% chance of precipitation means 80-90% of sun for me!. And it\s warmer than it is in Ontario right now!

Now that's the way to look at it Mike!

Hey guys......Quick check of the weather from Cleveland shows......low 60's down there from Wed. thru Wed.

Bro and me may leave Tues. morning, do Deals Gap on Wed. And Thurs. and ride the "flat----straight----and boring"

Roads of SE ohio as a cool down of sorts.

See all of you later on in the week!!!!!!

Can you still say "Locked and Loaded" what with all the NSA crap their doin!!!!!

Now that's the way to look at it Mike!
After the winter we had, I was thinking the forecast actually looked pretty good! Amazing how one's perspective changes after a winter like that.

I'm amazed... it looks like it might be a winter gear kinda' trip... in friggin' May!

I agree Wayne, perfect riding weather.

OH I dunno about all this weather....I don't wanna get my new bike all dirty (I know, I'm such a girl).....at least not starting out on a ride. Don't mind it as much if the rain comes along on my way home.

10% - 20% rain doesn't look that bad, though our weather up here (Albany, NY area) is saying 50% on Wed. and 70% on Thursday :-(

OH I dunno about all this weather....I don't wanna get my new bike all dirty (I know, I'm such a girl).....at least not starting out on a ride. Don't mind it as much if the rain comes along on my way home.
10% - 20% rain doesn't look that bad, though our weather up here (Albany, NY area) is saying 50% on Wed. and 70% on Thursday :-(
Mebbe you have an enclosed trailer to haul your FJRs to the flat straight and boring?

Maybe we all need to say some sort of prayer...God's gotta know what kinda winter we've all been through. Or would that be Mother Nature?

Note to self: have add more dirt roads and cow pasture crossings for Iris...

punk.gif

Maybe we all need to say some sort of prayer...God's gotta know what kinda winter we've all been through. Or would that be Mother Nature?
I'm just a little surprised at the whining... I recall our very wet campsite at EOM and a drenching morning ride... it was great.

I'm kind of a weather nerd. From my experience, 30% chance of rain usually means most locations within that forecasted area won't see any rain. The other positive is if we get any rain at all next weekend, it will be light. Overall a positive forecast. Of course the weather is weather and is subject to change. I'll keep my eye on it, but will be in Marietta for the ride regardless. I'm sure most of us have had some unpleasant experiences in heavy rain for long periods of time. It's weather and you take it as it comes. However, it certainly doesn't look like ANY chance of heavy rain anywhere in the Northeast from Friday through the weekend.

As far as temperatures go, I love riding in the 50 to 75 degree temperatures even if it's colder in the mornings. You can always wear enough gear to keep warm. It's the extremely hot days that make for uncomfortable riding in my book. I'm excited about the ride and the weather forecast at this point.

See you all there!

I'm just a little surprised at the whining... I recall our very wet campsite at EOM and a drenching morning ride... it was great.
Not whining Ken...those FSB roads in SE Ohio are just a lot more fun when dry...especially for all the newbies.

I'll also try to remember to bring cigars for anyone who would like one. I haven't been smoking them much and they've been aging nicely in my humidor. Maybe someone would like to trade a nice cold beer for a good cigar. It sure will be nice to see all my riding friends and make some new ones. Last year I was stuck traveling nationwide on a wireless telecom project and only got in two nice long rides. One to Duluth, MN for Aerostich's Very Boring Rally and another one to Birmingham, AL to the Barber Motorcycle Museum. I'm starting this year off right.

I'll also try to remember to bring cigars for anyone who would like one. I haven't been smoking them much and they've been aging nicely in my humidor. Maybe someone would like to trade a nice cold beer for a good cigar. It sure will be nice to see all my riding friends and make some new ones. Last year I was stuck traveling nationwide on a wireless telecom project and only got in two nice long rides. One to Duluth, MN for Aerostich's Very Boring Rally and another one to Birmingham, AL to the Barber Motorcycle Museum. I'm starting this year off right.
A year ago, I was just finishing up a trip from CA to PA and was on the Blue Ridge at the time of this gathering. Looking forward to being there this year. Last year was the lost summer for me when I came down with Lymes meningitis in June. Quite a welcome to the East.