SE Ohio Ramble - 2-4 May 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to let everyone know...I did get some FYB! stickers printed for the Ramble. I will also have some FYYFF stickers. See ya'll Friday.
punk.gif

Our plan was to leave here on Tuesday noon-ish and ride over to Albany to hook up with Jim and Iris for a 2 day, back roads fun ride down to OH, and then take a couple of days on the return leg, to make this weekend "ramble" into a week-long vacation ride.

Unfortunately, the weather outlook has foiled those plans. Looking at the weather forecast for State College, PA (our half way point between Albany and Marietta) you get this:

SEOhioWeather.jpg

weirdsmiley.gif

So, we are looking at 100% probability of heavy rain on Wednesday, and pretty likely damp on the other 2 days heading down. Although it looks like the weather in Marietta will be passable for the weekend of riding, it also looks like a wet ride back home, though that is probably too far out to be credible.

Had to make a go/no-go call today, and we are choosing the latter. It would have been fun riding with the Zoomers this week, and seeing a bunch of you FF's again down there, but we are going to wuss out and skip the rainy riding to and fro. I have ridden in lots of heavy rain before, and will do it when required, but it's generally not as my first choice for a "fun vacation".

We have no trouble scheduling time off at a moment's notice, so we'll probably try and make an improptu make-up ride to the area and test out some of those routes over those flat, boring roads on some other weekend when the outlook for heavy rain isn't so ominous.

Hopefully things work out for the rest of you more intrepid types, and our wimpy-ness is unwarranted. Just wanted to let you know so nobody was looking around and wondering if something happened to us on the way down.

You may form a line for verbally abusing us now...
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of your decision Fred, but I have a feeling that you are only the first to post up...I'd bet that there will be more folks opting out of this years Ramble for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred - Thanks for the heads up - can you send me a PM with a list who specifically is bailing? You, Jim, Iris - anyone else? I'll update the eventbright info.

Our plan was to leave here on Tuesday noon-ish and ride over to Albany to hook up with Jim and Iris for a 2 day, back roads fun ride down to OH, and then take a couple of days on the return leg, to make this weekend "ramble" into a week-long vacation ride.

Unfortunately, the weather outlook has foiled those plans. Looking at the weather forecast for State College, PA (our half way point between Albany and Marietta) you get this:

SEOhioWeather.jpg

weirdsmiley.gif

So, we are looking at 100% probability of heavy rain on Wednesday, and pretty likely damp on the other 2 days heading down. Although it looks like the weather in Marietta will be passable for the weekend of riding, it also looks like a wet ride back home, though that is probably too far out to be credible.

Had to make a go/no-go call today, and we are choosing the latter. It would have been fun riding with the Zoomers this week, and seeing a bunch of you FF's again down there, but we are going to wuss out and skip the rainy riding to and fro. I have ridden in lots of heavy rain before, and will do it when required, but it's generally not as my first choice for a "fun vacation".

We have no trouble scheduling time off at a moment's notice, so we'll probably try and make an improptu make-up ride to the area and test out some of those routes over those flat, boring roads on some other weekend when the outlook for heavy rain isn't so ominous.

Hopefully things work out for the rest of you more intrepid types, and our wimpy-ness is unwarranted. Just wanted to let you know so nobody was looking around and wondering if something happened to us on the way down.

You may form a line for verbally abusing us now...
wink.png

Bummer, Fred.

Remember - Bungie's gonna be riding through snow to come down.

Just sayin'.

Anyway./

Does that mean there's gonna be a room opening up at Ramble Central on Friday night?

Yes, snow, rain, etc. - that won't stop Bungie; but those hangnails he mentioned, ya never know....

Bummer, Fred.

Remember - Bungie's gonna be riding through snow to come down.

Just sayin'.

Anyway./

Does that mean there's gonna be a room opening up at Ramble Central on Friday night?

As bad as this winter has been in New England, Bungie's been that much worse.
PMS will cause people to do all kinds'a crazy stuff to relieve the itching. ;)

And yes, we cancelled our room, so there is one more available at the Microtel, in case they were sold out.

PM sent, Wayne.

The weather forecast for the weekend will change every day until the weekend. It will then change every day during the weekend.
Sweet. Before you know it, it'll just be Canadians at the hotel on Sunday.

I rode all day Saturday in on/off heavy rains. Sunday it was nice, so I cut down a dead tree from the past Winters grasp, threw my back out.. but, I'm still in for the Ramble. I may need to see a chiro-cracker-backer tho. Fred's weather forecast wasn't much pain relief either.