SE Ohio Ramble - 2-4 May 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iron Pony is a great place... if you actually need to buy something or want to check out something... Try on some riding boots or clothes for fit and size? Yep, great for that. It's pretty big and has lots of stuff. If you've never been then it's probably worth a detour to check out.

If you need a helmet , it's the only place to go. They have hundreds of brands and sizes to try on. It is amazing the difference in fit between different brands.

Just thought I'd get back with the latest weekend forecast from Accuweather. Not bad! Maybe Fred will reconsider.

Weather This Weekend, May 2Next Weekend >
  • Friday May 2Variably cloudy, 10% chance shower 60° Lo 41° RealFeel® 60° / Lo 38° more
  • Saturday May 3Partly sunny, 30% chance showers around 62° Lo 41° RealFeel® 64° / Lo 41° more
  • Sunday May 4Partly sunny and pleasant, 20% chance showers, 68° Lo 47° RealFeel® 69° / Lo 45° more

Wife will set the bar for the weather we ride in. We both bought new cold weather jackets for the occasion. We're hoping to find her some new riding boots and possibly some warmer riding pants at Iron Pony. My wallet is afraid to go there, I've never been.
When do ya think you'll be there? The IP is about 15 minutes from home.
Assuming Nick has his shit together when we go get him, I'm thinking about 3 PM. I can give you a call on our way when I think we've got a better estimate if you want to meet us there.
Ah.

Sooze is taking the afternoon off so we'll be on the road by then.

Iron Pony is a great place... if you actually need to buy something or want to check out something... Try on some riding boots or clothes for fit and size? Yep, great for that. It's pretty big and has lots of stuff. If you've never been then it's probably worth a detour to check out.
Yep. Nothing like an old K-Mart building filled with motorcycle stuff.

They have a large selection of gear if you are shopping for Tourmaster, Cortech, Fieldsheer, Joe Rocket, etc... Olympia? Nope, but they do have Olympia gloves. Klim? Nope. Cruiser fingerless gloves and vests? PLENTY of those. You get the idea.

Helmets? It seems like you name it, they got it. I have bought several from them.

Boots? Last time I was there there boot selection was a tad thin, but they historically carry Sidi, TCX, Gaerne, Alpinestars, and plenty of cruiser shit-kickers.

They have dirt bike stuff as well, but I don't know if what they have is good stuff or not.

Last time I was there, they were doing some remodeling and moving stuff around to accommodate their new Indian motorcycle line for which they are a dealer.

I'll be on that side of town in the morning. Maybe I'll swing over there and take a walkaboot.

Oh - and Wayne has his own personalized tire changing bay there. They dedicated it to him 'cause he's had so many rear tires put on there.

Just thought I'd get back with the latest weekend forecast from Accuweather. Not bad! Maybe Fred will reconsider.

Weather This Weekend, May 2 Next Weekend >
  • Friday May 2 Variably cloudy, 10% chance shower 60° Lo 41° RealFeel® 60° / Lo 38° more
  • Saturday May 3 Partly sunny, 30% chance showers around 62° Lo 41° RealFeel® 64° / Lo 41° more
  • Sunday May 4 Partly sunny and pleasant, 20% chance showers, 68° Lo 47° RealFeel® 69° / Lo 45° more
That all looks good. But it was gonna be the crap we had to go thru to get down there that caused us to bail out.

But look at it this way: We have done you all a huge service. Now that we cancelled our ressies, it should be a fantastic weekend for the rest of you! And you'll have some wimpy NERDS to poke fun at while you are down there whoopin' it up. Ya' bastids...

Seriously, I hope that we were wrong and it turns out great for all of you.

Well Fred, I think timing and direction is everything for this storm event. In our area we expect heavy rain on Wednesday giving way to intermittent showers on Thursday. If you travel west Thursday, you will hit shower bands as you go, but they will be moving east so shouldn't last long. If you change your mind, you have a place to dry out with an easy Friday ride to Marietta. Just let me know.

Not sure if anyone else is leaving from the new england area or not. I will be heading out tomorrow morning and staying over in State college PA at the courtyard. The next day will be a nice leasurely ride on the secondary roads hopefully to Marietta on Thurseday. Had to rub it in a little.
rolleyes.gif

See you there,

Dave

Dave, Wednesday looks to be very wet through PA with intermittent heavy rain or thunderstorms. Thursday in PA, arriving on Friday in Marietta looks a lot better. Either way, if you need a place to stop over east of Pittsburgh, (Murrysville) don't hesitate to ask. I'll be leaving Friday and riding with Joe on parts of the Eastern route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joe,

Pick a place half way between Cadiz & Marietta and I'll meet you on Friday afternoon for the ride into the Microtel.

Make it north of Wayne National Forest if it works for you.

Hell, I'll meet you in Cadiz if the timing works out. I'm stoked.

Steve

On a serious note & all smack talk aside - there is some substantial weather moving across the area over the next few days. Be smart out there - if you're on the road know when it's time to get out of it and wait it out.

T minus 2 days...

There is gonna be some nasty weather blowing through NE Ohio tonight into tomorrow.

See you all Friday.

Steve...I'm thinking late morning to meet in Cadiz. The route that I put together should put us into Marietta around dinner, if we do it all. It's gonna depend on the weather.

Yup, Jim and I folded.:-(
Awww, I was hoping to see some more '14ES's there...you know, the candy red ones are nicer!
punk.gif
Can't get those new bikes wet!

FWIW, I still think the best idea is to travel Thursday from the East through diminishing rain, with a plan to arrive in Ohio Friday PM in good weather. Or maybe even travel Friday and join us Saturday and Sunday.

Hope you have your water wings packed - see you Thursday!

Not sure if anyone else is leaving from the new england area or not. I will be heading out tomorrow morning and staying over in State college PA at the courtyard. The next day will be a nice leasurely ride on the secondary roads hopefully to Marietta on Thurseday. Had to rub it in a little.
rolleyes.gif

See you there,

Dave

I'm leaving Indy Friday around noon, depending on weather, taking side roads and arriving about dinner time. Who's gonna have food on the table, ready to eat when I get there?
tonguesmiley.gif

Anyone else travelling from the west passing through Indy or western Ohio?