Sidestand fix?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo, Perfesser, ya best be puttin' in some time on the QUOTE-O-MATIC MAGIC BUTTON™, too! You'll sell millions!
Top men in my QUOTECHNOLOGY® division are hard at work, 24/6.3 as I write. We will solve this scourge of mankind!! Top men I say!!

Prof Rad

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have not heard these two points, I'll mention them for what it's worth...

If the bike is in gear to prevent a kickstand 'roll-off', then how do you open the glove box? I keep my disk lock in there and must access it while off the bike, for example to put it away or dig it out.

How do you keep the bike from tipping over on its right side when the pillion mounts the bike? My '05 is very unstable and unless parked on an absolutely flat surface, or one favoring the lean of the bike, it will definitely 'go over'. I will not let the pillion crawl over the seat until I am standing to the left of the bike with my hand on the grip. Usually, when I mount the bike alone or with the pillion, the bike will start to fall right, so far I've been able to put my right foot down in plenty of time, but one day my cuff caught on the foot peg and dollars '$$' signs flashed before my eyes. I'm guessing that mine is one with excessive rough cast and is a candidate to have the 'stop' ground.

What say yea? :blink:

Since I have not heard these two points, I'll mention them for what it's worth...
If the bike is in gear to prevent a kickstand 'roll-off', then how do you open the glove box? I keep my disk lock in there and must access it while off the bike, for example to put it away or dig it out.

How do you keep the bike from tipping over on its right side when the pillion mounts the bike? My '05 is very unstable and unless parked on an absolutely flat surface, or one favoring the lean of the bike, it will definitely 'go over'. I will not let the pillion crawl over the seat until I am standing to the left of the bike with my hand on the grip. Usually, when I mount the bike alone or with the pillion, the bike will start to fall right, so far I've been able to put my right foot down in plenty of time, but one day my cuff caught on the foot peg and dollars '$$' signs flashed before my eyes. I'm guessing that mine is one with excessive rough cast and is a candidate to have the 'stop' ground.

What say yea? :blink:
I use to carry my wallet and sunglasses in the glove box. Very simple, get them out when you come to a stop and then put it in gear, put kickstand down get off. You should be able to use your right hand to hold the lock. Even more simple, just push the button while in neutral before getting off the bike then put it in gear. You can close it at any time, in gear or not...

Second question, I never let a pillion on any bike without me on the bike already holding it up level.

I never let them get on first then me.

Again Operator error!!!

Also Fred's "fix" does not address the angle of the bike. Sorry! Look for a different fix here...

You have to buy a 06... :D

? Do you have to warm your bike up on the center stand?

Sparky3008-

Appreciate the tip (over). My problem is mostly putting the disk lock back into the glove box. I know what you're getting at though. It would work fine if I had a place within reach to set the lock while I mounted the bike, pulled the clutch in and rock the bike back and forth to find neutral, so I could open the glove box. (It was 'smartly' suggested to always leave the bike 'in-gear' when parked.) I have set it on the seat behind me to accomplish just what your suggesting, only, I did ride off once forgetting it was there, Operator Error. The lock is relatively heavy, being all S/S contruction, I have this re-occurring thought of dropping the lock on the tank while fumbling it to the glove box with my right hand.

My pillion is short in stature, as I am, and cannot throw her leg over and bounce into position after I have mounted, especially with the hard bags in place. Also, having an in-seam of only 32", I'm already on the balls of my feet trying to balance the shifting weight's disposition. When I first bought the bike we tried several controlled methods, including the pillion mounting last. That was the first time the bike went over, we will 'never be there again'. :blink:

Sparky3008- Appreciate the tip (over). My problem is mostly putting the disk lock back into the glove box. I know what you're getting at though. It would work fine if I had a place within reach to set the lock while I mounted the bike, pulled the clutch in and rock the bike back and forth to find neutral, so I could open the glove box. (It was 'smartly' suggested to always leave the bike 'in-gear' when parked.) I have set it on the seat behind me to accomplish just what your suggesting, only, I did ride off once forgetting it was there, Operator Error. The lock is relatively heavy, being all S/S contruction, I have this re-occurring thought of dropping the lock on the tank while fumbling it to the glove box with my right hand.

My pillion is short in stature, as I am, and cannot throw her leg over and bounce into position after I have mounted, especially with the hard bags in place. Also, having an in-seam of only 32", I'm already on the balls of my feet trying to balance the shifting weight's disposition. When I first bought the bike we tried several controlled methods, including the pillion mounting last. That was the first time the bike went over, we will 'never be there again'. :blink:
I park my gsxr in gear all the time but I start it before getting on, I reach down with my hand and pull the lever into Neutral and start it up to warm up. Most of this is common sense and you have to adjust for each situation. This is really a crazy subject!!!

Other threads on cornering, trail braking, etc and we are falling back on how to put our kickstands down. WOW!

Pillion. Have you tried putting the bike on the centerstand, letting her get on and then rock the bike off the centerstand with you both on?

Your brake lock problem is just blowing my mind.

I could see me with it in hand, mounting bike, turning the key to see neutral light, with lock in right hand pull in clutch and with a finger of my right hit the starter. Then with foot getting into neutral as I still don't need my right for anything, once in neutral release clutch, get brake lock out of right hand, put it in the glove box.

You get the picture.

Still don't see how your brake lock coordination issue has anything what so ever to do with the sidestand not going all the way to the lock while putting the bike down...

ONE MORE THING. With you on the bike and the passenger peg there, have your small stature wife step on the passenger peg and right over. She doesn't have to do it from the ground.

Come on!!!

FYI I am 6' but with a 32" inseam and I have had people get on the back of bikes for years and my wife is not small at 5'10" just fine...

I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....

Added to Scythian most excellent adventure: But arrive home safe and sound because I had unhooked the throttle return springs, unlinked my brakes, disabled the ABS, unplugged the auto-retract on the windshield, removed the cats, disconnected the O2 sensor and added 7 to the CO levels.

Added to Scythian most excellent adventure: But arrive home safe and sound because I had unhooked the throttle return springs, unlinked my brakes, disabled the ABS, unplugged the auto-retract on the windshield, removed the cats and disconnected the O2 sensor and added 7 to the CO levels.
Ground down the sidestand stop and changed the attachment of the spring.

I just keep rereading the statement you made that the SS brake lock is HEAVY!

Come on you need to erase that statement as quick as you can. If TWN reads that I don't know if he will be able to control himself.

I have a 7ft long OnGuard Cable Lock now that is a little heavy :p

+1 Scythian

Man, this is better than a matinee!! Lots of Laughs!!!! :lol:

Sparky3008, OK done!

Added to Scythian most excellent adventure: But arrive home safe and sound because I had unhooked the throttle return springs, unlinked my brakes, disabled the ABS, unplugged the auto-retract on the windshield, removed the cats, disconnected the O2 sensor and added 7 to the CO levels.
And then I took a heat gun set on "low", and removed the gay-ass red reflectors on the hard bags. The final result added 3hp put to the ground.

:lol:

Great laugh, guys.... ;)

I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree.
I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy.

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt....
This is just hilarious!

It should be made into a sticker, song or something! :lol:

I just keep rereading the statement you made that the SS brake lock is HEAVY! Come on you need to erase that statement as quick as you can. If TWN reads that I don't know if he will be able to control himself.
"He's not heavy, he's my brotha..."

Too, adding such mass to the pocket will undoubtedly induce the dreaded "RadioHowie Wobble". Thankfully, Yamaha sought fit to rate the pocket's capacity equal to that of an overweight North American Noseeum, so if you overload it, don't call your lawyer cuz they told you so.

Fred? C'mon, buddy, come back and play... This is getting boring without your input. :)

Hey now biddah biddah, do I hear 140 posts? 140 posts, 140 posts, come on bidder bidder! I know this board can hit 140 posts on this topic when maybe 20 actually have to do with original issue? :blink: Save us Fred, jump back in!

Just wait till you start hearing about the older AE guys who forget what they're riding and do a throttle blip at an intersection and find themselves left on their asses watching as their bike unicycles crazily across 4 lanes of traffic to its utter demise (careful with that one guys!). Then they'll curse good engineering design. By Thor's mighty hammer I swear it.

I'll be the first "Old Guy" with an AE to let you know when I inadvertently give it a blip, hehehe

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. No excuse in the world why all bikes don't have locking side stands a la HD. Still, having owned a K1200LT, I'm fanatical about kicking the sidestand forward to seat it and rocking the bike forward in gear. Even then, I stare at the sidestand as I dismount to see if it's moving. Long habits are hard to break...
Amen.

Mike

(going out to look at his LT and hoping the garage floor hasn't changed slope since I parked)