Sidestand fix?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apoligies for the hijack, but this is important to me... what can I do to make the Er6i's work with the DA system? Can I install diodes to rectify the current flow? Would it be as simple as to simply cut off their stock earbuds and splice into the ER6i's? Serious questions, please help..Once again, sorry for the hijack. if better, please respond to the original thread.. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ic=11935&hl=..
and Thank You.. Seriously.
And go start another thread or PM the person......Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dumped it the second time i put the stand down. brought it back up with my boot. damned near cried.

now i take all the precautions but on the rare occasion that i let someone else ride it, be it a mechanic or a buddy trading mounts for a bit... they have to listen to me caution them about the side stand.

my dealer rides an 03 and had an 05 on the floor. we compared the stand action of them against my 04. lets just say that not all fjr stands are created equal.

i'll never drop it that way again but i would love to have it snap open like it ought to on the 08 model.

derek

I'm with Fred on this one. The side stand does not lock down like my other 2 Yamaha Ventures, my VTX or my Goldwing. While there maybe many other bikes with side stands like the FJR’s, I have been fortunate to own bike’s that had better side stands. While I too practice great caution when dismounting the FJR, it only takes one time to forget to leave it gear and park at a slight incline for something bad to happen. It also makes you nervous walking away from a bike when you don’t have confidence in the bike’s side stand. I also think that a product should be engineered to work without asking the operator to complete a checklist to compensate for the item's short coming. That is just good engineering Gentlemen. Now if all side stands worked like the FJR and no one could figure out how to make them work better, then the FJR's is topnotch, but that is not the case and if it can be improved it should be. You would not settle for poor engineering if you have to get out of your car and put a rock behind the tire each time you park it so it wouldn't move.

I think if your comfortable with the side stand the way it is that’s great, don’t change a thing. To brow beat someone who thinks it could be improved upon and sets out to do it for the benefit of all the other members is just inexcusable. The experienced riders have to remember you have hundreds of new FJR riders each year that don’t have your experience and knowledge. Do you really want them to learn this lesson the hard way by dropping their bikes?

Fred H.

I just remembered, someone had suggested adding a short stack of washers behind the sidestand. By moving the sidestand out from the bike, the lean on the bike was increased. That would help the problem along with with your spring rework

Try it.

dobias :glare:

Fred H.
I just remembered, someone had suggested adding a short stack of washers behind the sidestand. By moving the sidestand out from the bike, the lean on the bike was increased. That would help the problem along with with your spring rework

Try it.

dobias :glare:
The kickstand bracket is sandwiched between the frame and the shift linkage/footpeg plate, with two heavy bolts holding the plate and stand bracket as a unit. Washers are not gonna work-just gonna break stuff.

stand_footrest.jpg

Sorry for the big pic, but it helps clarity.

Wait, the FJR comes with a Side Stand? My dealer said it was optional and that they were backordered.

A simple modification would improve the springs ability to hold the sidestand in the full forward position.

The lower end of the spring grabs a welded hook/lug on the sidestand. A mirror-image hook could be welded/added on the opposite side of the sidestand. If the spring grabbed this new hook the sidestand would be more forcefully held in the full forward position.

The length of the new hook would be limited by its lean-angle ground clearance.

Finally

I thought I was alone.

9 page thread must be a record.

My buddy's (14 b1kes over 35 years) and my (newby) 06's dropped 3 times while parked.

No problems since "IN GEAR" tip.

Fred's spring thing and/or HD type positive lock detent side stand mod shure would save a lot of money and embarassment for quite a few owners.

I fear our stone throwing threadmates "duth protest too much"!

If their's haven't dropped they will, with this side stand design.

Bill P

I see a lot of opinions from people that probably have NO experience with the '06 sidestand. I've had bikes for over 42 years and I notice this small problem that will and has taken plenty of bikes down. Now I can be flamed for noticing my '06 has the same innefecient sidestand.....Maybe those without knowledge of the '06 should be a bit quieter until they gain some insight...

FinallyI thought I was alone.

9 page thread must be a record.

My buddy's (14 b1kes over 35 years) and my (newby) 06's dropped 3 times while parked.

No problems since "IN GEAR" tip.

Fred's spring thing and/or HD type positive lock detent side stand mod shure would save a lot of money and embarassment for quite a few owners.

I fear our stone throwing threadmates "duth protest too much"!

If their's haven't dropped they will, with this side stand design.

Bill P
Great. That thread was a month and a half old and almost died the death it probably should have. Good way to make a first impression FNG. :blink:

For the record, I remember the same thing said about the '05 over a year ago and thought it was subjective then, and having spent time on an '06 I'm qualified to express the opinon that it's just as subjective for this year.

Hasn't been an issue for me even after I've ridding 5 days straight and 5,000 miles and punchy. Stop, clutch in, make sure it's in gear, kick sidestand forward, feel that it's against the stop, set bike down.

Haven't dropped it yet in 45,000 miles. Thank you Yamaha for an effective design.

I've got plenty of seat time onseveral differnt '06's....

There is no substantial difference in the sidestands for the last two model years (2004/2005).

This is more a situational awareness issue than it is a design flaw.

Though obviously for those who haven't mastered proper sidestand deployment techniques for this particular model, and have dropped their bike because of it, it's much more comforting to cry "design flaw", than it is to man up and try to be a little smarter than the silly-ass steel kickstand mechanism.... :lol:

And no, this isn't a flame directed at anyone, c'mon... :glare:

Die, silly-ass thread, die..... :angry:

Only two more months to go before all the 07 guy's start kicking in with their Sidestand fix questions.

And their "Whats the Best Oil for an 07"

"What tires for an 07"

"What kind of Air should I put in my 07 tires"

I can hardly wait....

beatingadeadhorse.jpg

Doesn't this thread now qualify for pointless? it will soon be recurring. :)

I see a lot of opinions from people that probably have NO experience with the '06 sidestand. I've had bikes for over 42 years and I notice this small problem that will and has taken plenty of bikes down. Now I can be flamed for noticing my '06 has the same innefecient [sic] sidestand.....Maybe those without knowledge of the '06 should be a bit quieter until they gain some insight...
:boredom:

If the bike is in gear how are you supposed to put your gloves away and take your disc lock out of the glove box? {Page 10- This is Paul Harvey, Good Day! } :blink:

I've never seen so many miss the point & work around it. If this has been an issue from day 1 with FJRs ,albeit a small one, you'd think it would have been dealt with. Just common sense to put stand all the way down and bike in gear but does not address the situation with the stand itself. Fact on mine is it will stay in any position I put it , normal for FJR ? Not normal for motocycles in general. Yes I am able to overcome this by being aware of it and will have to grind some to get stand a bit more forward where most bikes are (not sure of earlier FJRs) to keep it from easily moving position. Because someone does not regularly post here does not exclude his knowledge. If I stop riding and start posting more what does that say ? Not much for me personally for sure.

Yes, pointless thread unless you own an '06 and would like a better stand...This is my stand and I'm standing with it..LOL

Only two more months to go before all the 07 guy's start kicking in with their Sidestand fix questions.
And their "Whats the Best Oil for an 07"

"What tires for an 07"

"What kind of Air should I put in my 07 tires"

I can hardly wait....

It is terrible to have people new to FJRs that would like to gain knowledge from a site known for it....real bummer to share, best to drive the noobs into the dirt :clapping: