Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. All the BBQ places here use wood burners....I know that's the "Texas" way for brisket.

Having the smoke ring on one side seemed odd to me, but I think that's because many places here seperate their cuts before cooking.

But as was mentioned, smoke ring isn't important if you got the taste you were looking for.

Still hope to try one next weekend.

All of the big BBQ places here cook with wood. For one thing, it is a far more economical fuel, at least in these parts. If you are running a big commercial sized pit the temperature swings are less and you can fill the firebox up more for more time between stokings.

You can only get a smoke ring on one side of the flat because the other side is under a fat cap, and further up its under the deckle. I trimmed aggressively but theres still 1/4 inch or so of fat. Its something Ive noticed in all of my extensive video research. ;)

Only way I can see getting smoke ring on both sides would be to cook the flat separately and to remove the fat cap completely from it before cooking. I imagine the meat would come out a lot drier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most pit guys trim the fat but will leave at least 1/4" thickness on the one side. I wonder what doing something like scoring the fat in a grid would do?

Picked up a 3.9 pound brisket. (Flat cut) Hoping to do it up this Sunday on the new UDS. Horrid hot weather here,(100!) and chances of thunder storms. No Biggie. ;)

Well, got the brisket rubbed and in the smoker around 9:30. Chances of rain today, thus the set up here:

IMG_3474.jpg

Chugging away at 240 degrees. After a few adjustments that's where it seems to want to stay, as as my attempt to get it to stick at 250 wasn't holding well, I'm fine with it. I plan to let it go as long as possible in the UDS, and will finish in the oven if need be.

Photos later.

If you filled the basket with briquettes you will be able to finish it on the UDS no problem.

Fat side down? You still probably should wrap it when you get into the stall to prevent drying the meat out too much. Id suggest flipping the meat when you wrap so it gets cooked evenly.

Yes, fat side down. Was planning on wrapping it at the stall and was going to flip it. Basket is 3/4 full. Was going for at least 7 hours on the pit.

Did cut the piece of cedar for the shelf:

IMG_3475.jpg

Photo after we ate half of it. Was not bad, got almost 2 cups of au jus. Took about 5 hours, plenty of coals left in the basket, so tossed on a few yellow squashes to have with it while it rested. My thoughts here would be to cook it lower next time (225-230) and pull it sooner.(200) Temps ranged from 240-260, which I know many cook at. Stall was at 157, at about 3 hours in, wrapped it in foil and flipped it over. Went for another 2-1/2 hours, so way shy of 7.

Impressed with how well the drum did, but think briskets that size I'll cook on the reverse, and save the drum for big ass pork butts or other larger hunks o'meat.

Thin smoke ring, but had a good smokey flavor (used Hickory and Mesquite) Noticed Walmart sells bags of Hickory in 10-11 inch splits, might try an all stick cook in the reverse soon.

IMG_3476.jpg

I wouldnt pull it any sooner than 203. It would be much tougher. I know its counter-intuitive, but if anything, to get more tenderness it needs more time at the higher heat levels to allow the collagen to break down more.

It doesnt look to be dried out any, so maybe you want to leave it unwrapped a while longer. I let mine go all the way through the stall before wrapping and it wasnt the least bit dried out except for the very tip of the flat, which is typical. I also cheated and sloshed some beef stock over it into the foil pouch when I wrapped it to help it braise better.

Also, check out some Brisket carving videos on YouTube. There is a correct direction to slice in (across the grain) to further improve the tenderness. My first couple of briskets I didnt get it right. Finally figured it out this last time. Its easier to see the grain if the rub is just salt and pepper. A heavy rub covers it up too much to see the striations.

Ill have to find myself some good priced flats to cook up once I get back on my feet. Im getting to the point where I dont want to cook only 3 - 4 lbs, so Ill have to get a couple. The leftovers are as good as the first eating. Used some this morning diced up with the home fried potatoes and onions.

The reason I thought of pulling it sooner was I saw it went up a few degrees after I took I out. Meat was fairly tender. I am aware of cutting across the grain, I just went with what looked good when I grabbed the knife ; no complaints.

Smoked to racks of baby back ribs yesterday along with some chicken wrapped in bacon. This time I didn't put anything on the ribs prior to cooking. About a half hour before removing I glazed them over with my concoction of sauce and spices. I finally got the smoke all the way through or at least the pinkish color. Everything tasted great.

Sorry, no pic's.

Dave

No smoke'n this weekend, off to a winery with some friends ... but did finish the shelf. Sanded smooth with 3 coats polyurethane. Installed wing nuts on the brackets so I can remove the whole shelf so the cover will fit. Also installed the pull down latch. Lid is tight as a.....drum. :) Works great and quick to use. (Originally made for Masterbuilt cabinet smokers)

Next cook on it will likely be the biggest pork butt I can find. ;)

IMG_3492.jpg

With the price of pork shoulder being so cheap, why not go big? Get the most bang for your charcoal bucks.

I assume youll use the UDS on those butts, right? Will you use charcoal briquettes again, this time with more wood chunks mixed in, or try some lump char instead?

Latest posts