Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do they call a whiskey and Canola oil beverage?

You can also get some high heat gaskets to run around where the list sets.

This is just an example from a "smoker gasket" search:

https://www.amazon.com/LAVALOCK-Nomex-Grilling-smoker-gasket/dp/B01GLQ0L3C]https://www.amazon.com/LAVALOCK-Nomex-Grilling-smoker-gasket/dp/B01GLQ0L3C[/url]
Oil and Whiskey? Stool Softener?
I had considered using a gasket during the build. But decided to see how it went without one. As it does seal well with that extra little push, I'd rather install the latch then redo both of the hinges to compensate for the thickness of a gasket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had considered using a gasket during the build. But decided to see how it went without one. As it does seal well with that extra little push, I'd rather install the latch then redo both of the hinges to compensate for the thickness of a gasket.
FWIW, this is the gasket I used to seal the doors on my smoker. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VIPPJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really helped to keep the wind from making the cabinet temperature take huge swings.

As long as the surfaces are relatively smooth, the domed lid will eventually seal itself from all the goo deposits youll get after a few more smokes. Or you can stick a felt or silicone gasket to the under side of the lids lip if you want it to seal right away.

Todays smoker project was to figure a way to add a ball valve to the grease drain pipe on the OK Joe. Up till now Ive just had a wad of tin-foil jammed in the pipe to reduce the air leak. It did sort of let the grease drip through to the little bucket I hang below it, but it wasnt very neat inside. The ball valve will be much cooler.

Measured the ID of the drain pipe at about 15/16ths, so I should be able to run a 3/4 NPT tap up into the pipe and thread a 3/4 nipple in to mount my ball valve. Found a 3/4 tap at Tractor Supply for a decent price ($10.50). But, it is so ridiculously hot and humid here today that the actual install will have to wait for another day.

Edit- I happened to be perusing the local meat markets ad circular and noticed they were selling cryovac choice whole briskets for $3.69 a pound. Thats as good as we ever get in these parts, so I ran down and scored one of the last 5 they had. Its only a little more than 10 lbs, but seemed more aggressively trimmed out than the only big one they had left at 16 lbs.

Tomorrow the front goes through and Saturday is supposed to be back to normal summer temps, high of 81, which will be perfect outdoor cooking weather. Think Im going to try doing this on the offset, burning just wood. My last few on the UDS were not what I wanted. Been watching Aaron Franklin vids on YouTube and have a few ideas on how I can improve it.

When I picked up the pork roast at Walmart they had 13 pound whole brisket there. I just said, maybe next time... ;)

You going to cook the thing completely on the OKJ or finish it in the oven? What didn't you like last time you did one?

Brisket at Walmart had just the small flats here, and over $6 per pound. Plus I doubt that you get choice grade. I have seen packers there before but they dont keep them in stock here.

First whole brisket I separated the flat and tip before cooking. My last attempt where I kept it whole on the UDS, the flat was over cooked and the tip hadnt rendered down enough. I tried to do it without wrapping, which I definitely will be changing this time. On the offset I can put the point end towards the firebox which runs 5 - 10 degrees hotter and that should be beneficial.

My plan is to smoke for 5 - 6 hours and well onto the stall, then foil wrap and toss it in the indoor oven to finish. Im also going Texas style with a simple Dalmatian rub rather than the spicier one Id used previously.

Sounds like a good plan. I didn't look that carefully at the brisket at Walmart so not sure what grade of meat it was. I saw the weight, just shy of 13lbs, and the price, $47.00, which works out to being in that $3.69 a pound range. They do carry Certified Agnus beef, and do have "choice" cuts. They also carry just flats.. have not seen just points for sale though around here.

I'll likely do a flat on the UDS soon, and am a fan of the simple salt/pepper rub on brisket. Wife's coming back home today so might do a brisket Saturday or Sunday. May do two of them, and will finish them off in the oven also.

There is that local butcher shop that can probably get me any cut I want, but I'm not comfortable spending $$$$$ on high end beef...

BTW... I decided to keep the charcoal grill I picked up. Although it now lacks its lid (and food grate) I realized it would be the perfect thing to use to burn off any leftover goo and grease on the food grates to both of my smokers. ;)

Got a slightly embarrassing question: About 2 1/2 years ago my local butcher had a flash sale and I bought what I thought were two pork butts. Just found out it was actually three after my wife cleaned out the freezer today. You guys think it's worth smoking or just toss it?

Got a slightly embarrassing question: About 2 1/2 years ago my local butcher had a flash sale and I bought what I thought were two pork butts. Just found out it was actually three after my wife cleaned out the freezer today. You guys think it's worth smoking or just toss it?
"While properly cooking and then eating food that had stayed frozen at 0°F for years won't necessarily get you sick, you probably won't like how it tastes. So the USDA recommends tossing uncooked roasts, steaks and chops after a year in the freezer, and uncooked ground meat after just 4 months. And frozen cooked meat should go after 3 months."

I'd toss it.

So I figured it was a chunk of 1 inch schedule 40 that they welded on. I know that it is typically a tight jam fit for 3/4 inch schedule 40 inside of 1 inch. When I slipped a piece of 3/4 pipe in it was a loose fit, so it must be some sort of Chinese metric pipe or something. Too expensive to get a die to thread the outside for a fitting. My best bet may be to weld a piece of the 3/4 inch threaded pipe inside the existing pipe, but that aint happening today. Back to the tin foil wad for tomorrow.

Damn Mikey, thats a crying shame about your forgotten pork butts. At least you didnt forget 3 beef briskets in there at over 40 a pop. Pork is pretty cheap, and when on sale its even cheaper. I dont think Id want to invest 12 hours of cooking on a 3 year old. Heck, the charcoal will end up costing more than the meat did.

Yeah, that's how I was leaning too. No sense spending all that time for something that might taste like cardboard. The other two came out decent too from what I remember.

So - now that the thought is in my head, back to the butcher tomorrow!
smile.png

5 hours in this morning and I’m at 165F stall now. Going to let it go a while longer for a bit more smoke and color before I wrap it. Pit is behaving very nicely.

Are you using the Digi Q thing or just doing it manually? What temperature are you going with?

Looks like we'll be busy tomorrow so my cook is postponed till next weekend. :(

No DigiQ. That wouldnt work very well with wood. With a wood fire you dont want to restrict the inlet air or you will get dirty smoke. You want a small hot burning fire, and need to control the temperature with how you feed it fuel.

I was shooting for between 240 and 260F. When the temp dropped to 240 Id add a couple splits and leave the firebox door wide open to get a good flame going. After 10 minutes or so I could close the door but leave the air control open wide and get good clean smoke. Only had a couple of excursions outside of that temp range, but thats par for the course when stick burning.

Pulled it and wrapped it at noon, after 6 1/2 hours, reading 170 in the flat. Popped it into the oven preheated to 235 for the rest of the ride up to 203. I have some photos Ill share later when I get on my PC.

Edit - reached 203F internal by 2:30 in the oven, but the top was still much cooler. I had cooked it fat side down on the smoker and kept it that way wrapped in the oven. Flipped it, resealed the foil, and put it back in the oven for another 45 minutes and the non-fat side came right up to 203. Next time Ill flip it once on the smoker to even out the temps.

Have it wrapped in foil after draining off the au jus and towels for insulation until dinner time. Felt very soft and supple when probing. Hope I didnt overlook it.

Can't wait to hear your tasting results. Our guest, my wife's cousin, requested more of my ribs tonight. So broke out the 2nd to last rack out of the freezer. (We ate one before they left town last week) Still awesome...

IMG_3450.jpg

Notes from my first all-wood Brisket cook on my Oklahoma Joe Highland offset smoker:

I'd cooked smaller / quicker things in the past successfully (Pork Loins, Chickens, etc.) so was able to employ some technique I had learned earlier on maintaining the wood fire. One nice thing about burning wood is it is pretty quick to get things up and rolling.

I filled my Weber Starter Chimney with lump charcoal and lit it with a single sheet of newspaper. If you've never tried lump char in a chimney you should. It gets going fast and the whole thing is fully engulfed in flames in less than 10 minutes. Dumped that into my basket and laid 3 good sized split on top to get things going. Left the top lid of the firebox open until the logs were burning well, then closed it up leaving the side door of the firebox fully open. Got the pit fully up to temp, and the Brisket on in about 15 minutes from uncovering the pit.

Throughout the cook you want to make sure the wood is flaming, never smoldering, which is how you get the coveted "Thin Blue Smoke". If you throw too much wood on and the temperature shoot up too high, if you try to throttle back the burning by closing down the intake air you'll get billowing white (or worse, black) smoke that will impart a nasty taste to the meat.

It is far more important to maintain clean smoke than to worry about maintaining a constant temperature. You will want to regulate your pit temp by the quantity and frequency of wood you add. If the pit does get too hot, just pull one or two of the burning sticks out of the fire and set it aside. Better to add smaller pieces more often that bigger pieces that will cause bigger temperature swings.

Here's a picture of my firebox at about 2 hours into the cooking, when I opened it up when it reached 240 degrees in the cooking chamber to add another split of wood Not a whole lot of wood in there, but what is there is burning cleanly.

IMG_1613.jpg

Looking in the side door after adding a new stick:

IMG_1615.jpg

Using dry wood will help the wood to burn cleanly. Pre-heating it on the top of the firebox will dry the wood out prior to feeding it in to the fire.

IMG_1612.jpg

The wood I burned for this was a mix of some oak and maple off my firewood pile, and some wild crab apple I had cut from a tree in my yard a few years ago. I used a cheap Hitachi miter-saw to cut the longer logs down to 6-8 inches to better fit in my firebox.

And at the 2 hour mark, here' how my brisket was shaping up:

IMG_1616.jpg

As I already said, I ended up smoking the meat on my pit with the temperature varying between 240 to 270 degrees for 6 1/2 hours, which wasn't so bad. At that point I foil wrapped it and put it into the kitchen oven at 235F for another 3 hours to bring it up to 203F. Once the whole roast was at 203 (had to flip it at the end) I removed the au jus, re-wrapped it in foil, and wrapped it in two large towels to rest for the next two hours.

Here she is ready to carve up

IMG_1617.jpg

I separated the flat from the point and sliced the flat for our dinner last night, and cut up the point after removing all the inter-muscular fat vein between them.

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

The flavor was exactly what I was shooting for and the brisket was as tender as any I have ever had. The meat in the flat was rather thin, which I think was a function of the smaller than average size of the whole brisket (only around 11 lbs to start). I guess I could have carved the slices on a bias to increase their width, but really it wasn't that important as we were eating it plain, with some of the reheated au jus (after skimming the grease).

I suppose that you might be able to get close to the same results on charcoal, but I kind of doubt it would ever have such a refined smoke flavor.

Guess I'll be burning more wood in my OK Joe going forward. Need to do some work on building up my smoker woodpile.