Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a pork tenderloin and a sealed pack that looks like it called turkey tenderloin (but which I suspect is multiples because no turkey can have 1 that is that big). Will smoke them today for sandwiches.

Well, decided to try the “butterflied pork shoulder” I linked above. Dry brined overnight and then rubbed with the usual rub ingredients, this time no precise measurements, just freestyle ;)   did add a bit more red pepper and some cumin for a more southwestern bent.

Before going into the smoker:

1-D63-D100-9-F6-D-4-DB7-90-C8-E6440-DACB448.jpg

So, after about 4-1/2 hours at 235-245 F it hit 163 F. Now wrapped in foil (had to use three sheets to cover it) it’s in the oven at 325F for I’m guessing about 2 hours more.

26-EAF3-CE-45-A1-48-D5-92-FE-DB1-C2-BE7-B8-E6.jpg
Spritzed twice with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and red wine.

spritzed again before wrapping. 

OK. Only took 1-1/2 hours to hit 203. So total time (including the 30 minutes in the ice chest) was 6-1/2 hours. 

Before pulling:

D4-B499-B4-1-C62-490-C-8695-62105-DE33313.jpg

because there was MORE bark, I had to chop it a bit first before pulling with the forks. Seriously I’m in agreement with the guy that posted the procedure, this is how I will do pork butts from now on. Better seasoned, just as juicy and tender, and done in half the time. 

I got lunch for the next week, Two thumbs up from the family. Filled a two gallon bowl:

F86737-E2-9168-41-BA-84-B7-1844-EAE5-D33-A.jpg

Once unbagged, the turkey was 2 pieces in a package about the same size as a pork tenderloin. Salt and pepper only on the turkey. Rub on the tenderloin. Was surprised how quickly the turkey got to rare. I under cooked both a bit this time with the idea it all would get nuked before eating (cooked for leftovers as it were). Turkey finished so quickly I was worried it wouldn't pick up any smoke flavor. 

I was really wrong. The turkey turned out better than the pork. While the pork was good, it's an old friend. The turkey "tenderloin" (as packaged) was amazeballz!

I’ll have to keep an eye out for the “turkey tenderloin” as I’ve never been all that excited over pork tenderloins. A few years back we did a turkey “roast” for thanksgiving, which I assumed contained mostly turkey breast that took the smoke much better than I expected. 😳

Pork tenderloins are quick to smoke (under 2 hours) and easy to do (salt and pepper only works if so desired). The flip side is that even a good one is often unremarkable on its own.

I picked up 3 more vacuum packs of those turkey tenderloins yesterday. Put them into the freezer in anticipation of next smoking.

Well, today I will be finally assembling the OK Joe “Highland” smoker that’s been in a box for a year. I have been using a small vertical smoker and can absolutely nail 2 tri-tips on that unit, but it’s time to break out the Highland and start the process of getting that up to speed and learning it’s idiosyncrasies.

i already have some extra stuff from BBQsmokermods.com that will make some good improvements once assembled, so let the fun begin!

Brian the biknflyfisher 

Congrats. I was tempted to start shopping BGEs recently. Then I was smacked in the side of the head with the same issues as the last time I looked. Price.

I have a Char-Griller Akorn kamado smoker that was less than $300. at 10x the price I could keep doing that for something like 40 years before racking up replacement costs on the C-GA. Then I looked at the Smokey Joes. Not as painful but still.

Then I looked at Treagers and balk because pellets still aren't "lump charcoal" (so I don't know if they are a 1:1 swap). Their automation is attractive but with my kamado secret weapon (that I could move to either a BGE or SJ) that's less of an issue (temp control at least... fuel loading is still manual). Anyone know both that is willing to share a comparison? Of course, grilling is neither the topic of this thread nor this question. Anything can grill. It's the smoking (low and slow) that is trickiest and what I am trying to compare.

Got the Highland assembled yesterday, all the mods done, and today I’m going to season it and run a good load of charcoal through it to burn the manufacturing oil off and see how it holds a steady temp and things like that. I think we’ll call him “Smoky Joe”......
If I don’t hit the road next weekend on the Feejer, I’ll probably try my first meat in it,

Any suggestions out there for a good meat temperature probe setup? Your experiences both good and bad would be much appreciated.

Brian

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

This is is what many competitive smokers use. They have a newer mode that has a 1-1/2 mile range, but this one should cover home use.

if you need to monitor temperature in more than one meat, along with your pit temperature, they have a four channel one for a bit more $.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

Have nothing to say other than good stuff about Thermoworks products ;)

Going to give “Smoky Joe” his first run with meat today. I am going to get 2 Tri-Tips and season one with just salt & pepper, and then the other with a jazzed up Santa Maria seasoning and give those a run in the smoker.

Tri-Tips aren’t the time commitment that a brisket or Boston butt is, so I can get a feel for the nuances of this particular smoker while not investing 8 to 10 hours today.  Grandkids are coming over so I’ll have Grampy things to do as well....

But, I am really looking forward to the first brisket in this new toy....

Brian the biknflyfisher 

Yeah, here in the Midwest I’ve never seen this cut at the store. I am interested in trying one however. I appreciate meats I can smoke quickly. Someone gave me a recipe for “Albino Rub” that I bet would be great on this cut.

Guess I need to talk to my butcher ;)

OK, so here how things went with the smoke yesterday.

i ran to our local Save Mart around 9:00am to get a couple of tri tips, and I thought what the heck, I’m going to be in the backyard all day with the smoker and the Grandkids (once they get here) so in addition to the 2 tri tips, I grabbed a 5+ pound pork shoulder (Boston Butt). I very quickly got the pork rubbed up with a nice dry rub and got the fire going in the OK Joe. The pork went on at about 0930 and the smoker temp was 225 to 250. The tri tips went on about 1:00pm and came off to rest at roughly 5:00pm. The pork was not nearly done (that was not for consumption for Fathers Day but was for meals this week like nachos, quesadillas and maybe pulled pork sammiches) so I wrapped it in foil and left it on the smoker using the classic “Texas Crutch” to build temp. I then threw it in the oven at 325 for 2 hours, and then it was finally to fall off the bone status and smelled great.

The tri tips were a hit, were tender enough and had a great smoke ring.  My take-away on the pork for next time is to season it more aggressively and smoke at a higher temp like 275 to shorten the cook time.

I find with smoked tri tips they are actually better the next day or 2 and are dynamite cold or diced up on a chef salad, or on nachos.

i keep a log every time I cook or smoke as I find it helps me down the line for making adjustments or a valid repeating mistakes.

Cheers!    Brian the biknflyfisher