Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice.

Using "The Crutch" is less about "building temp" (because 225 is more than enough for low-and-slow). It's about steaming the cut as all the moisture is forced out of the meat but trapped inside the foil. The steaming is what speeds up the stall. It's also why you need some foil-less time in the smoker after crutching to firm the bark back up again after steaming.

Do NOT raise the temp to speed up the cook. You're heading away from smoking and into grilling territory. The trick is to start earlier... with a large shoulder (if I want to serve it on the same day). I will start at 5am for a dinner or the night before for lunch. Raising the temp will cook the meat faster but won't leave time to break down the collagen (what makes smoked meats tender).

Bounce, have you tried the butterfly pork shoulder method?

i saw a post by knifemaker using that method and it certainly cut the cook time down. I guess next time I do a shoulder (non-butterfly) I’ll just allot a whole lot more time on the smoker to get to proper temp.

One  a whole different smoking thought, I haven’t smoked ribs yet - any suggestions out there as to type (pork or beef) or “words of wisdom”?

Biknflyfisher

I think the “butterfly method” is the way to go doing a pork butt, and is how I will smoke them in the future. The extra surface area allows you to get more seasoning on the meat, and  slicing it down to a long slab instead of one fat hunk of meat does cut cooking time down considerably. (6 hours compared to 12-14) It tastes just as good and you get more bark and more smoke penetration.

As for ribs, we do baby backs. I dry brine them overnight, then use a saltless rub. Smoked for 4-41/2 hours at 225-235. I use a homemade rack so I can do 6 slabs at a time. They always come out just the way we like like them, not “falling off the bone”  but tender. The ones we don’t eat get spritzed with apple juice, wrapped, and go in the freezer for later. These if heated up a bit longer in the oven can be “fall off the bone”, but I avoid that by opening the foil and using a higher temp at the end of the reheat.

We found a meat shop that gets local pork. As with any cook, the better/fresher your meat is the better it comes out. 

Bounce, have you tried the butterfly pork shoulder method?

i saw a post by knifemaker using that method and it certainly cut the cook time down. I guess next time I do a shoulder (non-butterfly) I’ll just allot a whole lot more time on the smoker to get to proper temp.

One  a whole different smoking thought, I haven’t smoked ribs yet - any suggestions out there as to type (pork or beef) or “words of wisdom”?

Biknflyfisher
I saw it and thought it worth a shot. I've not had a chance to try it yet though. Makes MUCH more sense if speed is an issue (than raising the cooking temp above 225--250).

Ribs are easy (using a rack like above). It's usually suggested as 3-2-1. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 in the crutch (foil), and 1 back in once pulled from the foil to firm up the bark.I've found that to over cook the ribs and prefer 2-1-0.5.  Using a temp probe like I usually do can be problematic with the amount of bone that carries the heat into the core of the meat.

Made a cedar table to compliment the cedar shelf I made for the smoker:

897-F0-A74-CA5-C-400-C-B906-EA211-E4-F89-AF.jpg

two “mirrored” planks with a natural edge. Very happy with how it came out. ;)

We are deep in the process of moving (heading north to Vermont) right now, but I will definitely want to try your butterfly boneless pork butt technique once we get settled.  I always felt that the investment in time and fuel for pulled pork was a bit excessive.  

Same thing for doing beef briskets, which is why I don’t really want to do whole briskets anymore.  Either just cook the flat or save some money and cook a chuck roast like a brisket flat.  After 5-6 hours of smoke you can wrap it in foil with a cup of your favorite liquid and braise it to completion in another 2 hours on the gas grille running at low temp, so total time invested of 7-8 hours instead of 12-16.

So yesterday I drilled a hole in the side of the smoker to install one of those stainless steel ports that you can pass the Smoke 2 probe cables through.

That will be a great help when doing a long smoke knowing exactly where the meat temp is.

Nothing in the smoker today but I’m already thinking about what to do 4th of July weekend.

Biknflyfisher

Here’s a better comparison view:

84893600-F558-449-A-8-E42-6-BB144-B84466.jpg

yeah, the butterfly method is the way to go. But as noted, because you end up with a higher percentage of bark, you might need to start off with a sharp cleaver to break it up before you go in with your claws. 

biknflyfisher  deciding what to cook is always part of the fun. If you’re going to have a crowd, I’d do a couple pork tenderloins loins and some ribs. The pork loins will cook up quickly (2-2-1/2 hours, pull at 143 internal) and baby backs are not so labor intensive,  just maintain that 225-235F for about 4 hours. Really no need to crutch, just spritz them when you pull out the loins.

Another quick smoke are bratwursts.  (Pull at 180F internal) Makes a great lunch and the ribs can be dinner.

If you like chicken, my bacon wrapped boneless chicken thighs are another quick option.

Crap. Now I’m hungry. :)

Hey Knife, that’s a beautiful table.
Hey, thanks. I’ve been doing woodwork for years now, and since we moved out to “the country” I’ve been happy using locally sourced wood. We have a butt load of cedar and black walnut stacked in our garage now. There is a guy we know that has a portable sawmill,  so getting stuff sliced up has been a big plus. ;)

Ok fellow smokers out there, what are you going to smoke over the Holiday weekend?.

And, what will your hot weather libation be while you are outside smoking?

Lets see what kind of yummy things are being planned....

biknflyfisher

We have some jalapeño and cheese brats I plan to either smoke or grill. Not sure which yet. Corn on the cob. 

The wife drinks beer and I will have iced Irish Whiskey (2 Gingers) 

Likely start with Bloody Marys. ;)

I’m thinking I may do the butterfly-method pork shoulder on the OK Joe, and while doing so enjoy (several) Beefeaters & Tonic.

A “recipe” for an enjoyable day.....

biknflyfisher

I have something like 6 pork tenderloins in the freezer. Maybe I'll smoke 'em ALL up and freeze the left overs for quicker meals.

OK, I did 2 pork shoulders the butterfly method, with 2 different rubs - 1 was a Honey BBQ dry rub; and 1 was a Smoked Peppercorn & Sage dry rub.  Both were from a place called the Spice Tin in Murphys, CA which a cool little town in the CA Gold Country that my wife and I visit several times a year.
They were on about 6 hours - I wrapped them in foil at about 170 degrees, and pulled them off at 206 degrees.

Each shoulder shredded easily, was juicy, seasoned well and very tender. The butterfly method cut the cook time in half and was the absolute shizzle.....

We have lots of leftovers for nachos, quesadillas, and sammiches. I am a happy camper....

Oh yah, the Beefeaters andTonics. were good in the 95 degree heat.

Happy 4th everyone!

biknflyfisher

Not much talk about smoking recently.....

On Sunday I fired up the OK Joe and did a 6lb pork shoulder that was butterflied, and then later threw on 2 “Prime” tri-tips.  I did not have good vibes about the pork for whatever reason while it was being smoked, but once it was off, rested and shredded it was the star of the family show. I did the pork in a honey BBQ dry rub, and the 2 tri-tips I did just basic kosher salt and pepper. The tri-tips were good, but were not life-altering.....

Tonight we’re having some of the pork on nachos - yum.

See ya,

Brian

It's summer in TX. To smoke a 20# pork shoulder, I recommend:

Coat the shoulder in oil or plain yellow mustard (it cooks off and is only used for holding the rub) and liberally coat (and pat-in -- don't "rub") with the rub of choice.  Gather up you charcoal and seasoning chips (pork is good with apple wood IMO). Pile the coals in the middle of the patio. Once the coals are running (flame dies down and the lumps show bits of white/grey), then carefully pile the seasoning chips on top of the running coal.  Wait 30 mins for the chips to start smoking and then play the shoulder in one of those disposable aluminum pan with hole (fork "docking") in the bottom so the smoke can flow through the base and around the meat.  Let set in the mid-day sun for 4 hours and it's cooked through-and-though.

My oldest Grandson turns 10 tomorrow, and requested smoked tri tip for dinner. So, I’m planning on the fare for tomorrow on the OK Joe....👍

Pork shoulder, several tri tips with differing rubs.

Already getting excited....

Biknflyfisher