Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pork shoulder just went on. I’m using oak for heat and cherry for “flavor”.  We’ll see how that turns out.

Once the pork is wrapped in foil and the tri tips go on, I’ll change up and use mesquite for “flavor”.

Gonna’ be a fun day....👌

Biknflyfisher

Getting it ready. The tenderloins come packaged in pairs. I dry brined them overnight and then trussed the two together:

59-DB62-F2-2-BE8-44-AF-BF05-AA0-E1-E46-F915.jpg

Then after smearing them with mustard, on goes the rub. Same basic rub I always used but substituted ground mustard seed for the ginger:

0-ACCBEB1-5-F0-D-41-CB-95-B4-FCE72-D0-FC3-A4.jpg

Will be starting up the smoker around 3:00pm here. (They usually take about 2 hours)

Am also going to smoke up at the same time a bunch of diced up zucchini and cherry tomatoes I have been marinating in zesty Italian dressing since this morning. 

More pics to follow.....

Pork hit 145 at 1 hour 45 minutes after smoking at 225-235 with Applewood. 

394-EA49-F-9-C4-D-4-C77-AF85-B04-F4-C5-D3-BBB.jpg

Came out great, juicy and, um, tender.

47660297-6-CC8-4-D45-901-C-8-A9-AF38-DB5-DB.jpg

Zucchini and tomatoes were OK, but the zucchini was still fairly crisp. Guessing it was due to the unplanned shorter cook time or the fact that the zucchini I used was freaking huge (Like 5” in diameter) and might just have been tougher. Tomatoes were however awesome. 

EEAA71-BA-D1-D7-4547-BDD5-4-A6332567-BE6.jpg

Anyway great a dinner. Looking now to

do another cook soon of baby backs. Will be calling my meat shop this week. ;)

I picked up a twin pack of pork tenderloins. Plan is to smoke them tomorrow 👍
I pulled one out of the freezer that I smoked a couple of months ago. Yummy! And 4 oz is only something like 130 calories!  Nicer than junk food for a snack.

The pork shoulder just went on. I’m using oak for heat and cherry for “flavor”.  We’ll see how that turns out.

Once the pork is wrapped in foil and the tri tips go on, I’ll change up and use mesquite for “flavor”.
Good choice. Pork tenderloin does well with mild smokes like apple wood.

Knife - that tenderloin looks great!

I had a successful day at the smoker. I did a 6.5lb pork shoulder, but this time did not do the butterfly method to see how it compares. I coated the pork with plain mustard, then salted, peppered and used a rub I picked up at Casa de Fruta called “Pit Masters Choice Love Rub Blend”.  The pork hit the smoker at 7:00am unwrapped, wrapped in double foil at 1:00pm at 170 degrees, then off the smoker at 4:30pm at 210 degrees to rest in an ice chest for an hour or more.

I also did 3 tri tips starting at 1:00pm along with the pork.

The pork was a smashing success, the best I’ve done so far since having the Oklahoma Joe Highland. It was very moist, ultra tender and had a nice but not overwhelming smoke flavor. The party guests kept going back for more, so we have enough left to do maybe a few quesadillas.  The tri tip was great as well, and we sent 1 whole tri tip home with our kids for them to enjoy this week and we have some left for a killer chef’s salad.

The only bad thing was being outside in the very high humidity (for CA) and the lousy air from the fires ravaging our entire state. 
Yum......

Brian the biknflyfisher

I think the only other advantage to the butterfly method, other the faster cook time, is the increase of the ratio of “bark” to interior meat. Only drawback is because it’s thinner it can dry out quicker, so you really need to spritz it a few times while it smokes. (Which can actually lengthen cook time a bit) I’ve even thought about installing “misters” in the lid of my smoker so I could spritz the meat without opening the lid ;)

No bad air here other than the smoker exhaust, but it was hot 🥵 (mid 90’s)  Luckily it was a fast cook and done later in the day when the smoker is in the shade. Had an electric fan pointed at my chair, so wasn’t too bad. 

Have not done a tri-tip yet. Have only seen one once at the local store. If I see one again I’ll give it a shot. 

Today’s project - a 12lb “prime” brisket from Costco hit the smoker at 6:00am this morning.

It was rubbed last night with salt, pepper and Montreal Rub, then spent the night wrapped tightly in plastic cling wrap followed by foil.

Using oak with a few chunks of mesquite along the way.

By 6:00pm tonight I should be enjoying the fruits of my labors.

Brian

Well, up at 7am to put a 5lb brisket on the smoker. 

BE9-E0-E16-19-A9-4-EBC-86-B7-16-B98-FAC40-A4.jpg

Bought this one pre-seasoned. “Paprika, salt, and spices” (not sure what the spices are, but imagine they are all good.)

Rubbed it down with onion powder, granulated garlic, white and black pepper, and a light sprinkle of my usual rub. 

Plan is to foil it up when it hits the stall and finish in the oven.

Hey Knife:

That’s a very odd-shaped brisket. Is “the flat” folded underneath?

Whats your target temp to wrap it up and move to the oven?

Brian the biknflyfisher

It’s just a flat. Not whole packer. You really can’t find just a point at stores here, it’s either a whole packer or flats.   Didn’t want to cook 14 pounds of meat, and I know points are more tender.  

The one advantage is flats are pretty even thickness wise, so they do cook more evenly.

My target temp is 150-160. The “stall” is easy to to find....just when it actually seems to stall.

Smoker temps are in the 235-245 range. Using a mix of hickory and some seasoned 3” applewood branches. 

Oven temp will be about the same, 230F.

On another note, I ordered a new thermometer:

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Open-Box-Sep20?trk_msg=OP6JD9P33RK4D9T4H5DIP1P4LC&trk_contact=VM74QDFNQLP367SL73CB0C3A9S&trk_sid=LA21R1PD4NJSDJ5MU1VBKM0430&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Smoke-CTA&utm_campaign=Sept2020-Mk4-cs

It won’t arrive until tomorrow, but I just had to do a smoke today 😉

B6689689-FE78-4476-8-AD3-90-CF29714-C4-B.jpg

Yah, a whole packer brisket is a LOT of meat. The 12lb hunk I did last Saturday I put half (of the finished product) in the freezer for eating later this month.

I was in the mood to smoke something yesterday, but with the CA heat and smoke I thought better of it. There is now fire raging in the mountains above us near Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake so we are under a cloud of haze and smoke that looks like winter CA overcast. 

OK, hit the stall at 152F. Opened the smoker to see this:

2-FEA8-A7-B-3115-482-B-8-BC4-96-D3328-B83-BC.jpg

Spritzed with butter and apple cider vinegar, then wrapped in two layers of heavy duty foil, put in a pan in the oven, re-probed,  at 225 at 12:45pm. (Smoked for 5 hours and 15 minutes)

Hopefully will be done for dinner. 😉

Finished product. Took about 4-1/2 hours in the oven to hit 203 F.  Kept in my big styrofoam cooler for just over an hour, then sliced up.

254-A5076-E492-4720-A566-D70951-E8-BF6-D.jpg

came out much more tender than my last one, and definitely more juicy. Everyone was happy 😃   I just made a simple sandwich on a bun with a little smear of horseradish, and a little au jus from the pan. 

Have about 2 lbs of leftovers for later. 

Anyway happy with the results 👍

So it was 5 hours on the smoker and 4 hours in the oven?  Brisket is definitely a commitment......

Looked delicious Knife.

Biknflyfisher

What to do with just under 2 lbs of leftover brisket? Chop it up, season it and toss it into a big pot of 6 bean chili....
E21-F37-C5-62-E4-44-E7-B025-100-CD1-D63-A14.jpg

There are no words to describe how awesome this turned out. Honestly I’d smoke a brisket again to use solely for this. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Point of Order: There is no such thing as "bean chili". There is chili. Then there is a chili-like stew that has beans and/or other things.  ;)