Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have the https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?ext=F&__utmz=84479179.1480973789.5.5.utmcsr=Nl-2016Dec05|utmccn=Dec2016-Buy-More-Save-More-Ends-Tonight-cs|utmcmd=email|utmctr=GiftWrap|utmcct=inbox&__utmx=-&__utmv=-&fragment=/Smoke&__utmk=84675600&partner=AMAZINGRIBS&__utmb=84479179.16.9.1480974223155&__utmc=84479179&__utma=84479179.1542167336.1478096883.1480973688.1480973789.5]Thermoworks "Smoke" Dual Circuit Thermometer?[/url]
I just got some email spam from them (I signed up for it) for 10% off anything over $50 (use code 'savemore16' at checkout), so that makes it $93 shipped. Since we no longer participate in any of the holiday gift exchange nonsense (excepting for our young grandsons) I went ahead and bought myself one as an early Xmas present. And I'll give my single circuit Mavrick to SWMBO for use in the indoor kitchen oven. Win - win! ;)

Sweet. Does that work via Bluetooth? I have both of those probes, but just one input. (Not a big issue, as you can plug and unplug them) I can however read the digital readout even when I'm in the house....just have to grab the binoculars... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's RF, which gives a better range than Bluetooth. I'm not terribly worried about the range, but it is nice to be able to watch the temps from my desk while multi-tasking from work on a nice weekday afternoon.

I'll be sure to report on how it works... next spring. I put the OK Joe into the shed on Sunday. It snowed about 2" on Monday. Ugh!

Well, if you want a report sooner, you could always send that puppy down to me and I'll test it for you Christmas day when I do a batch of ribs... ;)

But thanks for reminding me, I wanted to get one of their "pens" and forgot about it.... :)

I didn't like my rib racks so I decided to make one myself. The problem with all the racks is that the ribs stick to them and they are hard to clean.

Here is my take on a "rib rack":

The rack set up in my Komodo Joe (https://www.kamadojoe.com/) -

RR-1.jpg

Ribs hung on the rack -

RR-2.jpg

Ribs at the end of 5 hours @ 250 degrees -

RR-3.jpg

The stanchion and cross bars are mild steel. The hooks are stainless steel (made from TIG welding wire).

The ribs came out great and the only thing I have to clean is the four stainless steel hooks.
punk.gif

Since this is my first attempt at this rack, there are some things I want to change. I am going to shorten the hanging hooks a little. I may also shorten the stanchions some too.

I used my MIG welder to weld the upright to the base. When I get my TIG welder (hopefully soon), I should be able to do a much better (i.e. prettier) welding job.

Really good idea. Suspending the ribs as a lot of advantages. You could fit a lot more hooks and ribs if you suspended the ribs perpendicular to the hangers. .What kind of heat deflector are you using?

Really good idea. Suspending the ribs as a lot of advantages. You could fit a lot more hooks and ribs if you suspended the ribs perpendicular to the hangers. .What kind of heat deflector are you using?
Because of the size of my smoker I use 12 inch crossbars and split my rack of ribs and half. You could extend the size of the crossbar and easily smoke an entire rack using one crossbar. I've made this one with two uprights (for the two halves of the rack), but I could weld on more uprights and go with three or four making it almost limitless depending on the size of your smoker.

The deflector is ceramic plates that come with Komodo Joe. I wrap them in foil to keep them from getting messed up. I start out with 4 cups of water in the catch pan. It evaporates out after a couple of hours.

That rack is so Koooooooooool !!! Next time I go to the grocerie I am bringing a tape measure with me to see how long a rack of ribs are. Hope you don't mind me duplicating your effort.

Dave

Not at all. I will post a couple more detailed pics when I get home tonight. All the mild steel was got at a big box store. I picked up the welding wire years ago from a welding supply store.

If you don't have access to a welder the same thing could be accomplished with some L stock and a couple of screws instead of welding the square stock to some flat stock like I did.

After I get my TIG welder, I am willing to make these at cost for anyone that is interested.

Just resting. I drilled a hole in the square stock the size of the rod, then cut the square stock in the center of the hole. This allows the rack to expand/contract to fit the needs of the smoker. In my case I cut the rods to be 12". You could keep them 36" if your smoker will accommodate and place multiple racks on one rod.

I didn't like my rib racks so I decided to make one myself. The problem with all the racks is that the ribs stick to them and they are hard to clean.
Here is my take on a "rib rack":

Ribs at the end of 5 hours @ 250 degrees -

[img=[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/6shgqfndgd0n7iu/RR-3.jpg?raw=1%5D"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/6shgqfndgd0n7iu/RR-3.jpg?raw=1][/URL][/img]
Nice. I agree with Tom, you could stack up more ribs by hanging them perpendicular to the top rods. (Although be it might be a little trickeryer pulling them out of the smoker. My only thought, going by my last few batches of ribs, is they might fall off the hooks...as some slabs I've cooked kinda fell apart on me just picking them up.As for cleaning a rib rack....I just put mine in the oven and use the ovens "clean" setting...(it burns everything stuck on to ash)... never had my ribs stick to it, I think it's because I used threaded rods....less surface area?

Nice hanging rack. I typically redistribute ribs mid-cook, turning vertically and swapping positions.

I have a few different racks depending on how much I need to stuff in there, but when it comes to cleaning, a thin scotch-brite pad makes quick work of things after a good soak in hot (I mean HOT) water.

Forgive me, for I have sinned..

I have to prepare Pork Butt for a party on Friday. I got the idea to see if it could be cooked sous vide. It can, with pleasing results. So be it..

Of course, I'll finish it on the kamado on Friday, but for now, it's taking a 24-hr bath at 165...

I'm puzzled how you could smoke it for a bark when it's already cooked in the SV. Wouldn't that leave it over cooked? A quick sear for appearance is all that's really needed.

The reason to get it up to the 195 range is so the fat and sinew can render into collagen. I don't think that the fat and sinew will render at that temp. You may end up with a tough piece of meat.

*EDIT* I see that fat does start to render in the 130-140 range. If you leave it long enough (like you are doing in the sous vide) then you should have no problems.

Nope, it'll go in the fridge tonight when it's "cooked", and then I'll smoke it for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon. So I'll get the bark long before it will over cook in the middle. It's going to be pulled. The best part is I have about 6lbs and we're just serving sliders. Leftovers (I'll only pull a portion) will be carved up and I'll make Carnitas.. mmmm..

BS = yup! That's why you can cook many things different ways, and get similar but sometimes better results. Short ribs for 48-72 hours, for example.

While you will be able to get the meat cooked and tender in the circulator, I don't think you will develop enough smoke flavor, or an adequate bark, in only 3-4 hours. I know that when I take a peek at my shoulders after even 6 or 7 hours they still look awfully pale. They do not really seem darken up until the last few hours of a 12 to 16 hour smoking session.

Then again, some people will do pork butts in a crock pot and call it good. :rolleyes:

Will be interested to see what your actual experience is. We know that you've smoked enough pulled pork the traditional way to give it a pretty fair assessment.

I think on AmazingRibs it talks about only needing smoke for the first couple of hours, after that it doesn't penetrate any further. All of my smokes, I only sprinkle a few chips or a couple of chunks near the initial lighting spot, the smoke subsides after a couple of hours, never found it to be lacking in flavor.

Now if you're talking about bark, I did have some concerns, but the meat is going to be smoked at a much higher temperature and, as a result of it coming out of the fridge (mandatory, not optional step) it's not going to over-cook.

The pale color may just be the meat not having been cooked as much. That's certainly true with beef, where the change from red to brown is more noticeable.

That said, this is an experiment and I'll be documenting the results to post up here.

Here's the first hit I found when researching. It's from Kenji Lopez and his book "The Food Lab" (he's culinary manager at seriouseats, former editor at Cooks Illustrated) and the book was voted Cookbook of the year by the international culinary association.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

What's funny is that I didn't realize it was his from the book until this morning. My friend has his book, and it's *REALLY* good. I just don't like books. I LOVE reading about the science - heck, Alton Brown taught me to cook seriously, and his style is what hooked me on cooking.

Latest posts