Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go - not trying to be defensive by the way, just don't want to seem like a smarta$$. I love researching the science behind cooking (and other things), this one was a revelation to me and jived with what a competitive cook (BBQ) told me almost 20 years ago - the lower the heat, the better the result. Logically, it means there is more time for penetration.

https://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

.. cut to the chase, I underlined the most important point:

The locking of the myoglobin color starts almost immediately if you have a good stable clean fire. If you have a charcoal wood, or pellet fire, try this: Put a slab of ribs on at 225°F. After 30 minutes, move it indoors and finish cooking. There will be a fine looking smoke ring. After just 30 minutes exposed to NO and CO!It has long been known that smoke rings stop growing as the cook progresses. The point at which they stop seems to be when the myoglobin hits about 170°F depending on a number of variables. At that temp it has broken down so far that the pink color can no longer be locked in. But basting or spritzing the surface cools it and allows it to grow. So the size of the smoke ring as well as the sharpness of the edge is connected to how fast the meat heats. Yet another reason to cook low and slow.

All this Blonder research busts a bunch of myths. The smoke ring is not caused by the billowy white stuff, it is caused by gases in the smoke. It is not enhanced by paprika. Nitrites have nothing to do with it. There is no time limit on smoke absorption. The ring stops growing when the meat hits about 170°F and myoglobin loses its oxygen retaining ability, not 140°F. Salt has little to do with it.

The pale color I was talking about was on the outside (bark). I think your quoted text from Amazing Ribs supports my point that the absorption of smoke is not limited to the first X number of hours, and that it may be hard to get the full desired smoke flavor by rushing the smoking.

The concern I was trying to voice is that, if the SV has been low and slow and done all the cooking then any time in a smoker or grill (beyond appearance searing) could end up drying out all the deliciousness you worked to get in the SV.

But how about if we reverse the process? Start in the smoker very low with good smoke for a couple hours and finish SV, and add a sear at the end. It's not too complicated, and might produce the results of an all-day (or longer) smoke to a few hours then, set it and and forget it in the sous vide.

But how about if we reverse the process? Start in the smoker very low with good smoke for a couple hours and finish SV, and add a sear at the end. It's not too complicated, and might produce the results of an all-day (or longer) smoke to a few hours then, set it and and forget it in the sous vide.
I say you try this and invite us over. We will devour it and then ask for a second testing. Just to confirm it was not a fluke. Maybe a third trial just to make sure no variable were left out.........only in the name of the scientific process.

It seems like this method would be an easier way to handle the meat for the smoking part. It would go on and off the smoker firm. I'm not sure how hard/easy it will be to sear if it is falling apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be on to something. You won't have a firm bark layer, but that is not really a big deal for pulled pork anyway. And all the time it is cooking in the circulator it will be simmering in its own smokeyness inside the bag.

Or... you could just leave it n the smoker for 10 more hours. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bark texture is still important.

I posted in the SV thread what it looked like before going on the grill. Here's a couple of pieces that fell off, after about 30min of heat and smoke. I think that with the exception of my ribs, this is the tastiest pork I've eaten. The flavors were amazing, and it was so moist! I can't wait to taste the finished pieces.

Fred - I realized later your were referring to bark. I'm adding that with heat and smoke now. It's been puffing away at around 300F for about an hour, and now I've got the vents barely cracked and am watching the temp slowly drop (it's around 270 now). From experience, I know that as the vents are set now, it should settle below 200 in an hour or so.

Bounce - You are correct, except for the fact that this spent the night in the fridge below 40F, and it was close to that when it went on the grill. Just for you, I went out and stabbed both chunks - <140F internally. I'm sure the meat closer to the surface is hotter, but that was kind of the point - to get a nice mix of texture and flavor.

I'll be letting it sit for about another hour, depending on what the temps do, then when I pull it, I'll slice right thru it and probe at different places. Like I said before, this is an experiment for me - I was concerned because I also have many guests to feed later, but also very curious to see if it turns out as good as I'd read.

Stay tuned!

IMG_4472_zpspjvdomm2.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I was actually thinking brisket this way. It should be possible to get all the smoke flavor in, and end up with a very moist and tender piece of meat without the dryness that can happen on the less-thick portions. And shucks, youse guys are welcome anytime at my pit.

jester.gif
sorcerer.gif
mace.gif
fan_1.gif
sword_rune.gif
party.gif
hyper.gif
finger.gif

Live from Marietta - kamado is slowly approaching 200F (220 now) and just pretty little puffs of smoke are creeping out of the top now and then. When I had it running at 300F, it was like a steam locomotive was in the back yard. Only a very lovely steam.. Meaty.. mmmm....

Thanks for the feedback (in both threads). If this works, this is a great idea that seemed totally counter-intuitive to me. As a magic trick for brisket it could be the killer app for both smoker and sv.

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my little smoker. It will hold 58 pork butts or 90 chicken halves or three split 100-120 pound whole hogs.
https://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z208/Mike3941/2011%20Thanksgiving/DSCF0859.jpg

https://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z208/Mike3941/2011%20Thanksgiving/DSCF0858.jpg
Have you ever considered catering EOM?
That might be fun but it would have to be at my place or nearby. While the smoker is on a trailer, it's not really that portable and it takes a lot of other stuff which I have in a sixteen foot enclosed trailer. Another hobby of mine is to help local non-profit groups raise money. I never cook for money. They buy the food, I and a team of their volunteers cook and they serve and collect the money.

How big of a crowd does EOM draw?

The beast after a couple of hours of heat and smoke:

IMG_4475_zpsvwgjtxdc.jpg

.. served with coleslaw (also from Food Lab) and some pasta we picked up at Costco. I make my own pasta, but for this, the meat and coleslaw was all I was willing to make.

IMG_4476_zpsf4atahbj.jpg

Nice! It's great to have another option to eliminate those looong smoking sessions.

One tweak you could try next time would be to go ahead and still use some dry rub on the shoulder just before the smoking. That might improve the bark flavor and color even more.

Latest posts