Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. I agree with Fred, before smoking a nice course rub would have helped as far as getting some smoke flavor on the meat.

You can also amp up the smoke flavor by using smoked paprika or other smoked herbs.

Here's some suggestions on smoking your own paprika:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/smoked-paprika-377664

You said you washed it off after pulling it from the fridge....why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tons of gelatin had formed on it. Most of it ended up in the sauce I made, but the instructions said to wash and dry it. I had put rub on it before it went in the SV bag, there was plenty of flavor in the meat before it even went on the smoker - I did think about it. More wouldn't have hurt, though.

Time for that pre-Christmas pork butt. I amped up the Paprika and Cayenne in this rub...can you tell?

C0BCCC36-ACBE-4B62-9E3F-5EF167C2074E.jpg

Your killing me Smalls. ;)

My plan to do up another batch of baby backs Christmas Day appears to be a possible no show. Rain is expected all morning. :(

He makes a point about extras being the haven for bad cuts of meat

[if it all looks bad, then a chopped beef sandwich covered in barbecue sauce, pickles and onions is a safe haven.
Although his Ohio roots show through when he tags all those pretenders to the Q-throne that is beef!

I've confirmed most of these as being good places; Louie Mueller's and both Smitty's and Kreuz markets in Lockhart, especially.

https://www.wideopencountry.com/18-texas-barbecue-joints-you-need-to-try-before-you-die/

You do understand that I meant the original post as a jab because of all the ongoing conflict about what is and isn't Q. Right?

That being said, your post has a 4-star rating from 118 reviews. That's not bad. Do I agree with his opinions? Mostly not. After all, he is from Ohio.
And understand that my post is not a jab at your jab. As far as the rating on Amazon, I'd disqualify any from reviewers that don't actually live in Texas.

Aaron Franklin's book is pretty good. I'd never stand in line three hours to eat his barbecue, but I like his book.

I've been invited to Franklin's on several occasions. Their assurances that standing on line is part of the experience doesn't convince me so I haven't yet been.

Unless I was actually, literally starving, I wouldn't wait 3 hours to eat anywhere. That's just stupid. I'd give them the bird and then go eat at McDonald's. A three hour wait time means they're too stupid to fix their business model, and since I don't do stupid, I wouldn't eat there anyway.

The longest I'd wait for a table at a restaurant is 40 minutes....and the bar better be open. Add another 20 minutes to order and start eating, that be an hour. 3 hours? **** no.

On a happier note. I've decided to smoke up the ribs tomorrow, as no rain is expected. I'll just reheat two slabs for Sunday, and toss the rest in the freezer for later.

Right now they are in the bathtub thawing out:

IMG_2197.jpg

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HotRodZilla" data-cid="1350556" data-time="1482526920">
Unless I was actually, literally starving, I wouldn't wait 3 hours to eat anywhere. That's just stupid. I'd give them the bird and then go eat at McDonald's. A three hour wait time means they're too stupid to fix their business model, and since I don't do stupid, I wouldn't eat there anyway.</blockquote>

Not stupid, he doesn't want to expand. Everything isn't about money, fellas.

https://austin.eater.com/2016/10/4/13164510/aaron-franklin-barbecue-never-expansion

I stopped at a BBQ cart today. Felt it was better than Taco Bell. Which was true but only just.

Sliced beef was tough and had a hint of fuel in the flavor. That tells me it was cooked long enough and he was probably using briquettes in his big offset. Saw some of his hard wood stack and it didn't looked seasoned. The hot links and sides were good though.

So, while better than TB, I'll know to choose chopped beef (or do faux Q and stick to non-beef choices) if I go back.

Before shot:

IMG_2198.jpg

Gotta late start. Ribs should be done around 8:30pm. Cooking in the dark is always fun :)