So who's into a S.E. Ohio day trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the photos...you guys are good riders...and that was a good spot for a view. Just west of Marietta I presume>
Thank you for your kind comments on how we ride! We have only had the FJR for a year and this is Karens second year riding. She has a good time with it and likes to clip right along.

I think we were West of town but I would be hard pressed finding that spot again without spending some time with a map!

That's the Marietta overlook just off of 676 as you come into Marietta.At the BP station turn right then take the first left,appropriately named High street,at the end of High street take a left,it's on that street.

Thanks for posting those pics Steve,that's one of my favorite places to stop for a break when I'm in the Marietta area.A really nice shoot of you and Karen on the FJR.

Mark,the road I was suggesting was 329...it comes off of 13 at Trimble and goes to 550 at Amesville,about 2 to 3 miles east of 690.329 isn't a good curvy road, but it's quicker and less congested than that section of 13 and 550.It also has some long straight sections if we want to pass any slow moving traffic.
Cutting out the upper section of 555?That's up to you...I just wish they would pave it!I don't know if you noticed but two miles south of Ringgold to Ringgold is new pavement.I like that section and always imagine how fun the rest of that area would be with good pavement.

If you do want to cut it out...one option would be to go south at McConnelsville on 376 to266W to 792S to 676W to 555N to Chesterhill and run 377 north back to 78.
I gotcha, so we do that loop south of McConnelsville and back to 78 via 377, so we'd still get 377 in. Then head west on 78, take 13 south to 329. Once on 329, we would take that all the way down to 144, skipping that boring section of US50.

I think that works pretty good. 13 and 50, were just roads to get you back and forth from Athens, which we don't need to do if we aren't basing the ride out of there. Plus we avoid that section of gravelly/dirty 555 which can be difficult for a rider who has never run that section before. We can reroute that section in after they repave it.

Have you run 329 south to 144 before? And the roads in that loop southwest of McConnelsville? If not, I may want to run them in the spring scouting trip before leading a group down them...just in case there are any bad curves or unknown bad things lurking.

Thanks Denny, if I understood you correctly, I think that works pretty good.

Edit: Shoot, I could really spend 3 long riding days here...

One day going from Amish country in Coshocton and Millersburg down to the Hocking Hills area-like in the 2005 Ramble, the next day ride this 300 mile loop, and the last day ride this loop the other direction...and maybe have you tell me about a few of your other nuggets to expand my "good roads list:.

I think I'm gonna do that next year...maybe as part of a "scouting trip" :)
I ride the loop southwest of McConnelsville a few times every summer.This loop will also give us the added bonus of riding both directions of that great section of 676 between 555 and Dale.

I can't remember if I have ever ridden 329 all the way to 144...I ride it to 550 quite a bit...that's how I usually get to 690.I'll check out that lower section (550-144) tomorrow.Remember...if we take 329 all the way to 144 we'll be cutting out 690. :(

That's true, and I really liked 690...so I'll have to look at your directions again cuz I must have missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep!!!!!!!!!! You definitely missed something alright Mark, you missed reriding the eastern section yesterday. A little cold in the morning [nothin like we experienced last weekend] but same kind of conditions wet and overcast. More leaves down this time , and had a near "DOWN AN OUT" on a leaf covered "TAR SNAKE" on 555, but my incredible riding skills[ more like incredible luck ] I managed to get the front tire back onto some solid roadway, back it back considerably, and continue down to Marrietta. Denny, was able to find the over-look after a couple of "One way only try's" was just as awesome as ever. 425 on the ticker, got a little soaker comin out of Woodsfield after stoppin at Traditions for dinner. All in all the only thing that would have made this ride any better was if all you guy's would have been there. Ride safely!!!!!!!!!!! Dave

Yep!!!!!!!!!! You definitely missed something alright Mark, you missed reriding the eastern section yesterday. A little cold in the morning [nothin like we experienced last weekend] but same kind of conditions wet and overcast. More leaves down this time , and had a near "DOWN AN OUT" on a leaf covered "TAR SNAKE" on 555, but my incredible riding skills[ more like incredible luck ] I managed to get the front tire back onto some solid roadway, back it back considerably, and continue down to Marrietta. Denny, was able to find the over-look after a couple of "One way only try's" was just as awesome as ever. 425 on the ticker, got a little soaker comin out of Woodsfield after stoppin at Traditions for dinner. All in all the only thing that would have made this ride any better was if all you guy's would have been there. Ride safely!!!!!!!!!!! Dave

Nice segue there Dave.... ;)

Glad you didn't go oopsie on 555! That would not have been so good. I don't have your incredible riding skills...my bike always seems to want to lay down for a nap. :)

Glad you had fun, I'll be back in the spring (late April/early May) to ride those roads again. :yahoo:

Dave

Glad you saved it!! Sounds like you all had a good time. I think it is all good down there....Sorry I could not join you!

I am going down that way in the morning. I might overnight if I get to having too much fun!

That overlook is neat! What a view.

Steve

Mark,I rode the loop southwest of McConnelsville today.One pleasent surprise...they paved 376 from M'ville to Stockport which is where you pick up 266.Speaking of 266...I think you're going to like this little stretch.This is what it looks like most of the way...

IMG_1638.jpg

792 ain't bad either,kinda looks like this all the way to that good section of 676 from Dale to 555...

IMG_1640.jpg

As for 329...that bottom section definitly is NOT worth missing 690.Just take 329 to Amesville and go west on 550 two miles and you're at 690.

Good to hear you found the overlook Dave.If you're heading down this way on the weekend give me a call or pm.

Mark,I rode the loop southwest of McConnelsville today.One pleasent surprise...they paved 376 from M'ville to Stockport which is where you pick up 266.Speaking of 266...I think you're going to like this little stretch.This is what it looks like most of the way...
IMG_1638.jpg

792 ain't bad either,kinda looks like this all the way to that good section of 676 from Dale to 555...

IMG_1640.jpg

As for 329...that bottom section definitly is NOT worth missing 690.Just take 329 to Amesville and go west on 550 two miles and you're at 690.

Good to hear you found the overlook Dave.If you're heading down this way on the weekend give me a call or pm.
Thanks for the scouting report there Denny! :clapping:

Those look like some GOOD roads. :yahoo:

I'll get the routing map all fixed up for the Ohio Spring Ramble 2010...to be based again in Caldwell!

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Thanks for the scouting report there Denny! :clapping:

Those look like some GOOD roads. :yahoo:

I'll get the routing map all fixed up for the Ohio Spring Ramble 2010...to be based again in Caldwell!
I rode the loop yesterday. 329 looks like a good idea to me. The east side of the loop was great.

Anyone coming down from the north might try 800. I rode home that way and it had some nice areas.

Look forward to the spring ride.

The upper part of 555 still has some gravel....I had to take another look at where I had my oops. It was gravel. It must be my old eyes cause I did not see that the first time. If you leave it in the loop we should just set a slower pace as we go down the "Evil 555".

If we do run the loop backwards there is one spot of bad pavement on the east side coming up from the river that we should check on to see if they have repaired it in the spring.

Steve

Steve, Looks like you had some real good weather for your Mon. and Tues. makes me jealous. Trust me though we'll still have a couple of good weekends left before we have to put them up for the year. And just when I thought this thread was dead........... Ride Safely!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave

If you leave it in the loop we should just set a slower pace as we go down the "Evil 555". Steve
Now what fun would that be? :D

Glad you got to run the east side of the loop, 255, 536, 556 are 3 of the best roads in Ohio. :yahoo:

Okay.

Ohhhh...you were just bein' facetious. ;)

Hey, glad to see yer watchin' over us and protecting us from excessive bandwidth usages. :clapping: You coming to ride with us in the spring?

Here's where I would quote the photos...but I'm guessing that's not "SkooterG recommended TM". :D

If we do run the loop backwards there is one spot of bad pavement on the east side coming up from the river that we should check on to see if they have repaired it in the spring.
Steve
Steve, I saw the section of bad pavement...it was on 255 heading back up towards 800 from 7

Steve
Steve, I saw the section of bad pavement...it was on 255 heading back up towards 800 from 7
Yup! I was thinking if it was still there we could hit it like a MX berm!

Steve

Hey Guy's,

Got a chance to get out today, only for about an hour or so. I'm sure I'm not telling you'se anything new but slow it down when you get into those wet leaves situations. Wiggled my way thru a left hander in the Metro-Parks this afternoon, freaked me out. Again!!!!!!!!10 day forcast for Athens next week looks sunny and Mid-50s. Steve whats next week look like in your schedule for a down and back in one day?

ALMOST SCRAPEDUP AGAIN!!!!!!!! Dave

Hey guy's,

Was going through my laundry from our weekend in Caldwell [ and Please, no wise cracks about just getting to my dirty laundry ] actually my wifey did the laundry and when I brought it up there was a Areo-Stitch Flees in the clean cloth's basket. And as much as I would like to do the olde "Finders Keepers Losers Weepers thing" somebody is out a very nice riding jacket. SO................................. PM me and I'll make some arraignments to get it back to you. Hopefully its not Mark's or Dave K's because having to drop it off might entail my having to ride my bike down south for delivery purposes. Mailing it would definitely screw that idea up.

Dave

Hey Guy's,
Got a chance to get out today, only for about an hour or so. I'm sure I'm not telling you'se anything new but slow it down when you get into those wet leaves situations. Wiggled my way thru a left hander in the Metro-Parks this afternoon, freaked me out. Again!!!!!!!!10 day forcast for Athens next week looks sunny and Mid-50s. Steve whats next week look like in your schedule for a down and back in one day?

ALMOST SCRAPEDUP AGAIN!!!!!!!! Dave
You seem determined to fall down don't you! I suppose soon you will be crying about the ice being slippery also...

Glad you made it through with just a scare!!!

I am off on Monday and can clean the car out for spare change for gas Money!

Let me know when and where. Last Monday I left at 6AM if early works for you.

You had mentioned at one point going down 83. Would Millersburg be a good meeting point?

Steve

Latest posts