So who's into a S.E. Ohio day trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't fault anybody for not coming down this weekend. Looks like a good possibility for a really wet Fri. and Sat. probably ride Sun. and Mon. in SE Ohio because I don't have a job to have to rush back to. Looks like next week its going to get warmer, so if you get your tires changed in the next few day's Joe PM me and maybe we can do a fly down and back next weekend on Sat. or Sun.........................Ride Safely!! Dave

Looking at the national weather map...it looks like those guys from Wheaton (Mark & Dave) are bringing the rain with them. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark...I'll be in some where between 7 or 8.I'm still in Zanesville...plan to leave at about 6.

Protondecay...sorry to see you decided to sit this one out,but I sure understand.I'm always interested in meeting someone who flys that space your face icon.I saw the boys over in Lousville in '94.

Mark...I'll be in some where between 7 or 8.I'm still in Zanesville...plan to leave at about 6.
Protondecay...sorry to see you decided to sit this one out,but I sure understand.I'm always interested in meeting someone who flys that space your face icon.I saw the boys over in Lousville in '94.

We just started getting precipitation in Lexington. Can't see trying to cross those bridges in the am with 34 degree temps. Sorry about the PM I sent asking about the weather in Caldwell.

I hope you have fun and hope to explore those roads some day. Thanks for the invite, James

My plans to be in Caldwell by 7 and stay tonight have been dashed by a delay in St. Clairsville, OH with my babysitter. If it's not doing the rain, sleet or snow thing in the morning we will still try to make it in the morning.

Had a great time yesterday, It was good to meet Mark (wheatonfjr)& Dave Kaye from Wheaton Il., and every one else that showed up. Thanks to Tom (tstaff) and Denny (drc32-0) for leading the 2 groups. I'm shure that there will be some pictures posted by Mark & the (Bockelriders). I'm sure glad that I decided to go. I can't wait to do it again!!! :drinks: :friends: Did anyone find out why Dave (scrapedup) aka "Track Day Dave" and his buddy Joe bailed on 255 in Laings?

Home safe.

Had a great time meeting some new friends & seeing some old ones.

Thanks Mark for getting the ball rolling on this one.

27 degree's when I left the hotel this morning. :cold:

Wow What a great time. It was good to make some new friends. Thanks to all for making us feel welcome into the group.

Never having ridden with a group like this it was a learning curve for me. Thanks to all for helpful comments and the leaders for the smooth lines.

Old guys can learn new things (I just keep forgetting them....) and it was a great time for me hearing some new ideas

I hope to see you all the next time out.

Pictures will be up in a few days..

Steve & Karen

Home at last! 1430 miles on a stock seat and seeing Steve's fine setup convinced me to take the plunge on a new saddle. I had a great time and truly enjoyed meeting a great bunch of forum members. Thanks again mark for the great route plan it was a perfect twisty journey! I will post my photos as soon as the feeling in my back side comes back! :dribble:

Dave

I got back home about 6:30 Wheaton time...

I had a GREAT time. :yahoo: Weather was ALOT better than forecast with regards to precip. The colors were great as well...on the way home today I took a few pictures and will post those up sometime tonight or in the next couple days.

It was great to meet everybody...some new friends that I look forward to riding with again. It was great to finally greet you Denny after not seeing you since 2005...and Tom, it was great to finally ride with you after all these years yucking it up long distance via the internet boards.

Home safe and sound...sorry for the late post but I was out all day yesterday on the KLR taking pictures in the Hocking Hills area.

I really had a good time Saturday...great meeting everyone and seeing some folks I haven't seen in a while.Personally I like riding in cooler temps and it stayed dry until about 3:00 so it was a good day.

Thanks for setting up a great route Mark...if anyone wants a good sampler of S.E.Ohio roads just ride this route.Personal highlights for the day...lower section of 555,144,78 Ringgold to Glouster and 255.

Home safe and sound...sorry for the late post but I was out all day yesterday on the KLR taking pictures in the Hocking Hills area.
I really had a good time Saturday...great meeting everyone and seeing some folks I haven't seen in a while.Personally I like riding in cooler temps and it stayed dry until about 3:00 so it was a good day.

Thanks for setting up a great route Mark...if anyone wants a good sampler of S.E.Ohio roads just ride this route.Personal highlights for the day...lower section of 555,144,78 Ringgold to Glouster and 255.
Denny, glad you got back okay. I hate to pick favorite roads in this area because some of them are good for different reasons. Kind of like children, you hate to diss one over the other. I am gonna call the upper section of 555 the evil stepchild though...the road is rougher, has much more gravel, and there is one dangerous blind righthander that is much tighter and catches new riders unawares. It caught me the first time Irode that section, and other first timers every time I've taken one down there.

Denny, what would you think about skipping that upper section of 555 next time and just running 78 straight through. I hate to miss 377, cuz I really like that road...any suggestions? Keep it in, take it out?

Also, I think you were mentioning taking out 13 on the west end because it is so congested in that area. I have no problem with that...the only reason I had that road in there was to get back to Athens...which was the first base for this loop. I didn't have a map handy when you were talking so I don't remember which roads you were talking about, but I presume it was to cut south from 78 sooner and get away from the west end of the loop.

I like Caldwell for a base much better than Athens... the motel is much nicer and cheaper as well, with a good restaurant, beer and gas real close by. It's also on the northern side of the loop so Ohioans will be able to get to and from with less travel. Did everybody else have a good experience with the motel...except for them not wanting us to have a beer in the lobby? Athens is expensive and so is Marietta. I don't want to go farther east cuz it is already 500 miles for me to get there.

I am preparing a Ride Report thread for trip pictures and will put a link to this post when it is done. Others can post their pictures and quips in that as well.

Hey Guy's, Had a ball riding with all of you'se. Weather turned out better than I expected, although the mornings were a bit brisk. Joe and I stayed down both Sun. and Mon. just to reride the east end of the loop. The reason we [Joe and I] didn't follow was my arms were completely gone. I had all I could do to just limp back to the hotel. I also never knew 28 miles from Woodsfield to Caldwell could seem so long!!!!!!!!!The colors on the trees, back dropped by the beautiful blue skies yesterday and today, really did make the closer to this weekend complete. Hope everybody had as good of time as I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ride Safely..................Dave

Ok I have a confession to make. Dave (Scrapeup ) and I went for a ride on 536 on Sunday. On a right hand blind downhill curve I went wide, looked at the edge of the road and pending doom, ( instead of looking where I wanted to go) and drove right off the road and 10 ft down hill in the grass on my side. It hurt my pride more than me and the bike. Dave and I managed to get it back up and on the road. Broken clutch handle and upper cowl. Clutch lever made it to gas station on Rt 7 where it completly broke off. After some time and failed efforts to tape the broken lever on, I spotted a couple of helmet extensions under the seat, In a combined effort Dave and I ran the lever bolt thru the extension, taped a wrench to all that. I rode back to the hotel and all the next day with it. looks almost like it came from the factory that way! See attached photo link. All in all I had a great time on the rides.

Thanks for the fun.

Joe

https://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/quick...20091018_01.jpg

Great, innovative fix Joe. Amazed a great rider like you would go "wide". I am so bummed missing EOM and this ride both. started road racing an SV 650 with FASTTRAX at Nelson Ledges this year and had an "incident" resulting in broken RT hand and wrist bones plus banged up about everywhere else. Looking forward to riding wtih you guys next year.

Well don't you know it, the weatherman lied again!

I awoke at 5:30 that morning to find 35 degree temps with a very light drizzle-more of a mist really. Not being able to see the sky yet (too dark) and relying on the prior days' forecast of rain with snow mix and temps at high of 42, I guess I basically chickened out! But I'm glad you guys had a good time! These are really fantastic roads indeed!

Latest posts