SOLD OUT! Skooter G and Papa Chuy ride FJR's to Cabo San Lucas!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like a great ride and I'd like to join you, but I won't have the time unless I retire by then. I'm hearing rumors of a retirement incentive but I can't count on that until it happens. I guess I'll just have to follow along and enjoy from my laptop.
Hola Greg, I've been searching the Internet, looking for motorcycle rental agencies at Dos Cabos; I know they used to have them at Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. Perhaps with this bad economy, which is hurting Mexico even more than Estados Unidos, maybe they have gone out of business. If we can find a valid Twin Capes motorcycle rental firm, I will ask Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery Tours if he has a recommendation, this would sure work slick for our FJR Forum Members from Canada and the East. It would not matter how large the group is at that point, we would just be going out on day rides from Hotel California in Todos Santos! Fly into either La Paz or San Jose del Cabo Aeropuertos and pick up your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some great news in a post this morning, Chuck Doucet of AZ Beemers M/C Club will be going on this ride with us; Chuck is now riding a silver BMW K1200LT. This provides us with one more proven Mexico Ride Leader and lets us expand the pack size even larger, perhaps up to 30 riders with pillions. This large size may change some of our stops and may move our final destination into Cabo San Lucas, which is fine since Cabo is a party town; I have woken up at sunrise on a table at Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo once or twice before! Drunk!

Besides the previous motorcycling adventures of Chuck in Baja California, Chuck also sailed his 40' ketch up the Sea of Cortez from Estados Unidos and knows this peninsula very well!

https://www.loscabosguide.com/cabowabo/

Drunk!
Besides the previous motorcycling adventures of Chuck in Baja California, Chuck also sailed his 40' ketch up the Sea of Cortez from Estados Unidos and knows this peninsula very well!
Papa Chuy - Are you proposing that we load ALL those FJR's, riders, and their pillions on Chuck's catch and we sail up the peninsula through the Sea of Cortez? :blink:

Drunk!
Papa Chuy - Are you proposing that we load ALL those FJR's, riders, and their pillions on Chuck's catch and we sail up the peninsula through the Sea of Cortez? :blink:
Jorge, that would be fun, imagine sailing the world and unloading your FJR at ports of call! Chuck sold his 40' ketch when he left the Pacific Northwest and moved to Scottsdale, Arizona!

My dearest Papa Chuy-

I just reread the last couple of Chapters of Clement Salvadori's

Motorcycle Journeys Through California and Baja - Second Edition.

Chapters 16 through 21!

San Ignacio!

Bahía Concepción!

La Paz!

Mama Espinoza's Loncheria - Lobster tacos!

Hussong's Cafe??

You've set me imagination to twitching.

(I may actually NOT back out of this one.)

¡Vamos!!

My dearest Papa Chuy-I just reread the last couple of Chapters of Clement Salvadori's

Chapters 16 through 21!

San Ignacio!

Bahía Concepción!

La Paz!

Hussong's Cafe??

¡Vamos!!
I'm going to have to read that book. Or Google those places.

It's been awhile since anything about me twitched ;)

This looks like a great ride and I'd like to join you, but I won't have the time unless I retire by then. I'm hearing rumors of a retirement incentive but I can't count on that until it happens. I guess I'll just have to follow along and enjoy from my laptop.
Hola Greg, I've been searching the Internet, looking for motorcycle rental agencies at Dos Cabos; I know they used to have them at Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. Perhaps with this bad economy, which is hurting Mexico even more than Estados Unidos, maybe they have gone out of business. If we can find a valid Twin Capes motorcycle rental firm, I will ask Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery Tours if he has a recommendation, this would sure work slick for our FJR Forum Members from Canada and the East. It would not matter how large the group is at that point, we would just be going out on day rides from Hotel California in Todos Santos! Fly into either La Paz or San Jose del Cabo Aeropuertos and pick up your bike.
Thanks for that, but I'm not real enthused about renting. A good part of the adventure is in getting there, and back.

The only time I was even in Mexico was 1976. I crossed the border at Tijuana with a couple of friends in an old (old even then) Chevy station wagon and never got past Ensenada before we had drunk up all the few dollars we had with us. Good times I'll never forget.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-...ader_1884313086 If you are going on the Baja ride, I highly recommend that you buy this book. This is the original edition first published in 1997, which is the copy that I own. The book Old Michael owns is the later edition that also covers California, I am not sure if the Baja coverage in the newer edition has the same data as the oldest and first edition; there were 234 pages in the first edition. If the OM book has all 234 pages on Baja, buy it, a better deal since it includes California too!

GOOD NEWS: Long, long time (age 65) Mexico riding friend of Greg "SkooterG" Marbach, Brian "El Jefe" Boles, Chuck "Frenchy" Doucet and Papa Chuy is coming along with us to Baja.

Dave "Crazey Davey Cooleyman" Cooley has joined the pack. If you folks think that Old Michael is half a bubble out of plumb, you have not seen anything until you meet Cooleyman!

My dearest Papa Chuy-I just reread the last couple of Chapters of Clement Salvadori's

Chapters 16 through 21!

San Ignacio!

Bahía Concepción!

La Paz!

Hussong's Cafe??

¡Vamos!!
I'm going to have to read that book. Or Google those places.

It's been awhile since anything about me twitched ;)

I'm sitting here reading this post, trying to find the part where Don mentions the map (paper that is) that we should all have prior to heading out on this trip. Because I have a tendency to be left behind, I felt I should have this map just in case. However I cannot find the part that lists the map. I want to order it now so I'll have it. I started reading this thread from the beginning and several times through it I had to check the title because I thought I had inadvertently been switched to a different tread. At times I suspected my beverage had been spiked with some of the peyote that was mentioned in this thread.

So Don if you are out there, can you tell me once again what map I need to have, so I can order it. While you're at it, what is that card that lasts 180 days you mentioned we'll need also and where do I obtain this. As far as insurance, I guess my insurance carrier probably offers it, unless you have a suggestion on that also.

This will be my first visit south of the border and I want to be prepared!

I'm sitting here reading this post, trying to find the part where Don mentions the map (paper that is) that we should all have prior to heading out on this trip. Because I have a tendency to be left behind, I felt I should have this map just in case. However I cannot find the part that lists the map. I want to order it now so I'll have it. I started reading this thread from the beginning and several times through it I had to check the title because I thought I had inadvertently been switched to a different tread. At times I suspected my beverage had been spiked with some of the peyote that was mentioned in this thread.
So Don if you are out there, can you tell me once again what map I need to have, so I can order it. While you're at it, what is that card that lasts 180 days you mentioned we'll need also and where do I obtain this. As far as insurance, I guess my insurance carrier probably offers it, unless you have a suggestion on that also.

This will be my first visit south of the border and I want to be prepared!
Dan, trust your old Papa Chuy Medina on this one, your GPS is absolutely worthless in Mexico; you might as well not even bother to bring it along, I have never seen a Gringo helped out one little bit by GPS in Mexico. In post #170 you will see I have mentioned Clement Salvadori's excellent "Motorcycle Journeys through Baja" First Edition.

It is less than $15 through Amazon. Old Michael mentioned the "Motorcycle Journeys through California and Baja" Second Edition, but unless it has all 234 pages of information that my old, original book has: Stick with the original! I recommend the AAA map "Baja California", but the Lonely Planet "Baja California" is equally good!

https://www.mexpro.com This is the ONLY Mexican Insurance company Papa Chuy uses. They are based in Flagstaff and are great people. I had a low-side moto claim many years ago, had great service!

Dan, trust your old Papa Chuy Medina on this one, your GPS is absolutely worthless in Mexico; you might as well not even bother to bring it along, I have never seen a Gringo helped out one little bit by GPS in Mexico. In post #170 you will see I have mentioned Clement Salvadori's excellent "Motorcycle Journeys through Baja" First Edition.
It is less than $15 through Amazon. Old Michael mentioned the "Motorcycle Journeys through California and Baja" Second Edition, but unless it has all 234 pages of information that my old, original book has: Stick with the original! I recommend the AAA map "Baja California", but the Lonely Planet "Baja California" is equally good!

https://www.mexpro.com This is the ONLY Mexican Insurance company Papa Chuy uses. They are based in Flagstaff and are great people. I had a low-side moto claim many years ago, had great service!

Thanks Don,

I don't have AAA, nor do I know anyone that does. We in Havasu are not fortunate enough to have a AAA office in town. But I went on Amazon (my favorite shopping place while living in the desert) and found a set of maps that had high ratings, so I ordered them. If they turn out not to be very good, I'll get a AAA map, even if I have to join. I also ordered the book. After reading reviews, it seems like the older version printed in 2000 covers Baja much more thoroughly than the newer edition, so I ordered it also. I'll also call Mexpro in a few weeks after I get back from Oregon. This will be one trip I won't take my GPS............. maybe!!

EDIT: It's funny, while on Amazon most of the books and maps on Baja stated "only 1 left, order soon" or "only 4 left, more on the way". I was thinking, are these maps and books being bought up by the riders wanting to go on this Baja ride? Why the sudden urgency on Baja all of a sudden!!

Thanks Don,

I don't have AAA, nor do I know anyone that does. We in Havasu are not fortunate enough to have a AAA office in town. But I went on Amazon (my favorite shopping place while living in the desert) and found a set of maps that had high ratings, so I ordered them. If they turn out not to be very good, I'll get a AAA map, even if I have to join. I also ordered the book. After reading reviews, it seems like the older version printed in 2000 covers Baja much more thoroughly than the newer edition, so I ordered it also. I'll also call Mexpro in a few weeks after I get back from Oregon. This will be one trip I won't take my GPS............. maybe!!

EDIT: It's funny, while on Amazon most of the books and maps on Baja stated "only 1 left, order soon" or "only 4 left, more on the way". I was thinking, are these maps and books being bought up by the riders wanting to go on this Baja ride? Why the sudden urgency on Baja all of a sudden!!
Big-D, the answer to your question is simple: Las Mujeres son mas hermanos en Baja! The women of Baja California, both Norte y Sur, are more beautiful that the gals on the MEX Mainland. Even Bustanut joker, ShinyPartsUp and RadioHowie said they might even switch from their "pets" to the women of Baja if they can make this ride. Don't sweat the AAA map, I'll score one for you soon!

Was looking for Baja GPS maps and this has good reviews. Are you familiar with it Don?
https://www.lbmaps.com/
old Pilot, No two ways about it, I am Old School when it comes to navigation: Maps and a compass only! GPS es El Diablo! Now on the other hand, mi Amigo Big-D is queer for his GPS; I've repeatedly offered to smash it with a hammer for him!!! But, maybe we can get Dan to buy this and try it out; he is a Gen II guy, so I know he does not mind wasting his money! Senor Compton = guinea pig!

My buddy Brian Boles is a Research Manager for Microchip here in Chandler and he does use GPS. I'm riding with BB on an AZ Beemers Event on Sunday, I'll ask "El Jefe" his thoughts on these LBMAPS!

From one guinea pig to another Old Pilot, having the software for Baja that works in my Garmin would be nice. My biggest concern is how accurate it may be. The way Don explains the highways in Baja, I get the impression they may change frequently due to flash floods or some other consequence of road repair.

Hey, I like my GPS, it holds all of my music too. Don't pay too much attention to Don, he gets upset because there is no place to plug in his 8-Track tape player into his Sextant.

8trackBradford-model-79608-Quad-8-Track-player-1.jpg
sxt4ant.jpg

Latest posts