Soltek HID Light Kit Night Photo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian,
At the point you have the brackets all figured out for the '06, please count me in on a pair!
Matt, I finally got the bike all rewired yesterday and rode it over still partially stripped for the fuel cell cover inspection. I turned the lights on to show some people who were there, btw this was during a glorious sunny day. While standing way out in front of the bike, the light coming out of the solteks is literally just blinding to the eye, in no way shape or form could this light kit be used as a daytime running light. :nea:

With the electrosport stator in my 04, the datel is holding steady at 13.8-13.9 volts at idle with the HID's turned on. I would guess that I'll easily be able to run my heated gear concurrently without any issues.

Damn man, hurry up, my Wee is calling for these lights. Talk about watt deprived, the Wee has less wattage available than the FJR did. Electrosport is working on a stator for the DL650. gonna give it another ~75 watts. Mike in Fremont, Ca.

Damn man, hurry up, my Wee is calling for these lights. Talk about watt deprived, the Wee has less wattage available than the FJR did. Electrosport is working on a stator for the DL650. gonna give it another ~75 watts. Mike in Fremont, Ca.
You guys who are going to add these to electrically impotent machines should wire 'em up so the headlights go out when you start the HID's, as you sure won't need 'em to run concurrently. That way, the battery would actually have an extra 25 watts over just running low beams, to recover from any overuse due to other drain(s) while they burn.

You guys who are going to add these to electrically impotent machines should wire 'em up so the headlights go out when you start the HID's, as you sure won't need 'em to run concurrently. That way, the battery would actually have an extra 25 watts over just running low beams, to recover from any overuse due to other drain(s) while they burn.

I will switch the oem lights when these get added. sky is talking about being able to plug them in and out to trade em between bikes. Go skyway.

With the electrosport stator in my 04, the datel is holding steady at 13.8-13.9 volts at idle with the HID's turned on. I would guess that I'll easily be able to run my heated gear concurrently without any issues.
Just for reference, while under way with the solteks lit up I am holding steady at 14.0volts and occasionally dipping to 13.9 on the datel. With Gerbing jacket and gloves also concurrently seeing full juice I'm seeing 13.5 volts.

Anyone have a set of 06-07 mirrors lying around they can loan to me so I can figure out the mounting brackets?

If anyone has a set from an silver AE they don't want, I might even buy them from you if they'll fit my '04?

Can anyone confirm/deny that the subframe where the mirrors mount is the same for all model year FJR's?

Anyone have a set of 06-07 mirrors lying around they can loan to me so I can figure out the mounting brackets?
If anyone has a set from an silver AE they don't want, I might even buy them from you if they'll fit my '04?

Can anyone confirm/deny that the subframe where the mirrors mount is the same for all model year FJR's?
Are you talking to ME??? Mine are off my AE, and I can lend them to you. You can even ride them for a while if you want. But I would like them back, please... even though the left one is damaged.

The mirrors mount the same. Dunno about the guts. Looking into it.... The part numbers are the same, and they appear to screw to the underside the same.

BTW, don't any of you other guys let ME give you the idea that Skyway STILL wouldn't like to buy your mirrors. If you have a CERULEAN set, I'm sure you could work out a deal with him. I think he'll like the '06 mirrors once he tries them out. The FZ1 mirrors are prolly too wide for splitting in Kali.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be in an '06 model.
Any word on the timing of a Soltek HID group buy?

rublenoon
I can't speak for Warchild, but I'm in the process of testing the mounts and this weekend will be the first longish ride to do this. Once I feel satisfied with them, I'll be mailing everything to Dale, where he can also mount and test and give a thumbs up or down either way.

I'm not comfortable to say go for it, when it won't be my ass in the fire if peeps in the LD community get PO with some aspect of this setup.

I'll be in an '06 model.
Any word on the timing of a Soltek HID group buy?

rublenoon
I can't speak for Warchild, but I'm in the process of testing the mounts and this weekend will be the first longish ride to do this. Once I feel satisfied with them, I'll be mailing everything to Dale, where he can also mount and test and give a thumbs up or down either way.

I'm not comfortable to say go for it, when it won't be my ass in the fire if peeps in the LD community get PO with some aspect of this setup.
Thanks for the update. :)

I'll keep working the OT and keep exercising my patience muscle.

rublenoon

Toecutter was in town yesterday for some side by side images that he'll be along to decipher in another thread soon.

Now I know some of you guys were checking out this light kit today at the meet point for the Napa ride and I saw more than a few cameras clicking. But the problem is that daytime is no way to demonstrate any lights. So I took a couple more last night showing behind the lights and then in front.

This first shot is right behind the bike with the lights pointed toward a building and you can also make out a propane tank. Bob and I guessed that was a good 100 yards from where we were parked.

IMG_1984.jpg

This second shot is with me standing right beside the propane tank shown in the above photo and looking back toward the bike. This image is pretty darn close to what the lights and surrounding area actually look like through the naked eye.

It was impossible to see anything in the near vicinity of/or behind my bike, the light is just way too intense. What I found most interesting is that I could not tell that there were 2 lamps lit off, it just looked like 1 large ball of light. Can you see Bob's FJR that's parked right next to my bike? Neither could I.

In the few nighttime ride-outs I've done so far, (BTW this is no exaggeration) not a single oncoming vehicle has forgotten to dip their lights after I give them a gentle reminder, even at distances greater than 1/2mile. :D

IMG_1985.jpg

I will. Get these! I rode behind Ian's bike in the dark with them on. You wanna make day out of night? This is the way, the truth, and the light for the job.

Word.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you do your testing, give us some indication as to how they perform leaned over in a bit of twisties. Would the adjustments allow some side to side adjustments, to see into corners more?