Soltek HID Light Kit Night Photo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're mounted by using the 2 mirror mount holes on either side. The light itself is mounted to the bracket with a single 12mm hex head bolt. Time for removal would be as quickly as you could remove panels B & C and remove/reinstall the 4 mirror mount bolts.
Music to my ears... that's exactly what I was hoping... :yahoo:

I've got 3 or 4 rides/events that these would just kick ass for, but most of my riding within suburbia they'd probably be overkill...

....but most of my riding within suburbia they'd probably be overkill...
The mother of all understatements....unless you like convincing people in a major way to dip their brights as they approach. :rolleyes:

The first time some asshat blinds you and the Soltek's are sitting back home on the shelf, well....

I've got 3 or 4 rides/events that these would just kick ass for, but most of my riding within suburbia they'd probably be overkill...
Or you could simply "cover" them. Having special covers sewn (like the hydration kits) is being discussed. Wire them with a harness that could be unplugged for removing the light from the bracket and replace with legal driving lights (an option I am considering).

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could simply "cover" them. Having special covers sewn (like the hydration kits) is being discussed. Wire them with a harness that could be unplugged for removing the light from the bracket and replace with legal driving lights (an option I am considering).
This kit comes supplied with some very nice waterproof quick disconnect connectors that are sitting just inside my B & C pannels. It don't come any easier to remove them. But as mentioned before, they will not be suitable for daytime running lights.

I am planning on having some covers sewn for them, just to see how they look.

Anyone know how well these take a rock chip at 60-70 MPH? One of the reasons I thought it might be smart to take them off when in the city, is the high percentage of road debris that gets kicked up from 18 wheelers and the like on the local freeways...

This kit comes supplied with some very nice waterproof quick disconnect connectors that are sitting just inside my B & C pannels.
Are these "common" so we could by a set to install on our "normal" driving lights....for those of us who use them during commute.

Baja makes a clear protective cover, much like the CB headlight guards, that can be purchased separately, or maybe even included if there's a group buy.

This kit comes supplied with some very nice waterproof quick disconnect connectors that are sitting just inside my B & C pannels.
Are these "common" so we could by a set to install on our "normal" driving lights....for those of us who use them during commute.
Yes they are, so if you wanted to do the switching back and fourth, you would need 2 additional female connectors for the second set of lights. I'm not sure if this connector is something you could easily get at a hardware store, but I'm sure BD has a bin full of them somewhere.

Baja makes a clear protective cover, much like the CB headlight guards, that can be purchased separately, or maybe even included if there's a group buy.
I believe they are around $15-20 each. I'm interested in getting some, but don't want to reduce any of the night vision performance. I'll have to ask them about it.

Would this work or does the lens get too hot?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1985.jpg
My eyes! My eyes! Holy crap, that looks like a plane is landing. If I had that coming at me in opposing traffic on some 2-laner in the middle of nowhere, I'd wet myself.

That said, I love it!! :clapping:

If I had that coming at me in opposing traffic on some 2-laner in the middle of nowhere, I'd wet myself.
Yeah, but if you were "on duty", you'd be reaching for your ticket book. Darned two-wheeled miscreants!
But, if you got that as a result of failing to dim your brights, after the oncoming FJR flashed his to remind you and it didn't work, you'd probably wind up eating that ticket in court. We need all the safety gear we can get our hands on!

I couldn't agree more with that last point. Sadly, sometimes when we have on, or around us, all the safety gear we can buy, it's not enough. But we can try and stack the odds in our favor by getting all the protective equipment and bike safety features we possibly can. These lights are certainly going to be an asset when used in the right circumstances.

I couldn't agree more with that last point. Sadly, sometimes when we have on, or around us, all the safety gear we can buy, it's not enough. But we can try and stack the odds in our favor by getting all the protective equipment and bike safety features we possibly can. These lights are certainly going to be an asset when used in the right circumstances.
I agree

They may not be street legal, but I am still in for a set.

I am also interested in the clear covers mentioned.

They may not be street legal, but I am still in for a set.
I am also interested in the clear covers mentioned.
I'm thinkin' the clear covers won't take much away from the beamcast. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I'm running CB headlight guards in the pictures taken of my HID headlights here. They don't seem to inhibit the output any.

If I had that coming at me in opposing traffic on some 2-laner in the middle of nowhere, I'd wet myself.
Yeah, but if you were "on duty", you'd be reaching for your ticket book. Darned two-wheeled miscreants!
Nah, I stopped writin' tickets years ago - I don't even have a ticket book in my car. These days, my job is to put away violent offenders and bombers.

Black Mamba - you talk like we know each other. Do we?

With the "thumbs up" installation of these new HIDs on the horizon... anyone interested in selling me a set of PHID that you'll be retiring?

With the "thumbs up" installation of these new HIDs on the horizon... anyone interested in selling me a set of PHID that you'll be retiring?
:D :clapping:

As soon as I read that, I thought...ahh, there's always someone with a new angle. That thought was immediately followed by...damn, why didn't I think of that first! Good idea, King. My budget and I are not above sloppy seconds when it comes to the lights. ;)

PIG-

No doubt, my budget is killing me. All my "mama don't know" money is dwindling down. I'm going to have to put some stiff on Ebay soon!

By the way, I would prefer we call them PHID's -with experience.... rather than sloppy 2nds.... If my FJ ever found out that I was buying used presents for her, she'd be pissed.