Soltek HID Light Kit Night Photo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, please put me down as an early adopter when you get ready to do some beta testing on these. I've got a trip coming up in mid-April that's really got me itching to find an auxillary lighting solution.

I have FF-50's on the bike now, would I be able to use the existing wiring setup and relay?
Yes. Assuming your existing wiring is a reasonable size gauge. While 18-gauge wire with good, corrosion-free connectors would probably work just fine, the Old School in me would feel better with 16-gauge wiring.

In the case of the Soltek's, everything is "happening" (high voltage-wise) inside the housing, so as long as your providing a decent 12v source and a good ground to the Soltek input leads, you're good to go.

Ian,I have FF-50's on the bike now, would I be able to use the existing wiring setup and relay?
This is how I initially tested them, before I rewired my whole bike. The only thing you need to change is the 15amp fuse, it needs to be a 20amp.

Having recently (this past Sunday) completed a major re-wire of all my farkles, I anticipated these - and installed a run of wires -

130955330-L.jpg

Please note the label .......

two 16 awg, and two 20 awg (if needed for switching), and an open position on the terminal strips.

Saving pennies as we speak ....

I'm considering some aux lighting on my bike and have been very interested in the Soltek's. However, I've read several comments in this thread about the Soltek's "not being street legal."

Is this true? What, actually, does that mean?

Is this true? What, actually, does that mean?
It mean's the same as many other farkles we put on our FJRs. Like the PHIDs, and any aftermarket slip-on exhaust. In reality, you have absolutely nothing to worry about unless as in the case of the Solteks or the PHIDs, you go around blinding everyone and draw attention to yourself.

I would wager to guess that if you do run these type lights and want to be sure, install a cover while running these on the road. And just remove them when in use. PM. <>< :unsure:

I would wager to guess that if you do run these type lights and want to be sure, install a cover while running these on the road. And just remove them when in use. PM. <>< :unsure:
That wouldn't help. You can install as many illegal lights as you want, and there is nothing illegal about it. It's only when they are on, or operating that they become illegal.

The simple fact is that nobody is going to have any problems with them as long as some common sense is excercised.

Someone correct me, but doesn't California require these kinds of lights to be covered while on public highways?
In CA I bet they have a law for everything if you look hard enough, but I think you might be right. If you plan to be like skooter and just light them up at any given moment around heavy traffic, then expect lots of attention from the man, cause he'll see them for sure. But given how many bikes have aux. lights in CA and elsewhere, I haven't heard of a rash of tickets being handed out because of them.

If you have any, I'd say common sense will go a long way as in anything else you do.

The simple fact is that nobody is going to have any problems with them as long as some common sense is excercised.

Awe crap. Looks like I'm gonna be bailin your ass out of jail then....
You better start saving, cause he needs a lot of bailin. :D

Might be a good idea to put an indicator switch on 'em so you can make sure they're not accidentally on in the daytime. Those things are bright!

You better start saving, cause he needs a lot of bailin. :D

I know! Maybe I should set up a "Help Vectervp1 bail SkooterG out of jail fund" so my ass doesn't go broke when the time happens.... and we all know it's just a matter of time.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that mount of yours Skyway. I know it'll be a quality product coming from you.

That wouldn't help. You can install as many illegal lights as you want, and there is nothing illegal about it. It's only when they are on, or operating that they become illegal.

Reason I had mentioned this as Twin and Rouge said, in CA. off road lighting has to be covered or in-operative when on any highway. These are off road lights correct? PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason I had mentioned this as Twin and Rouge said, in CA. off road lighting has to be covered or in-operative when on any highway. These are off road lights correct? PM. <>< :rolleyes:
Well, yes..... they are, in fact, sold for "off-road use only" from the retailer.

There is no reasonable way to use these in the presence of prevailing traffic. No way at all. You will melt vehicles approaching them from the rear. And you will blind oncoming traffic a half mile away.

But blasting about in the outback of the Desert West by yourself, there is not another lamp that even comes close to these babies. None. Not the PHIDs, nor the Hellas HIDs. If you can deal with their heft and girth, these Solteks are most definitely The Shit to have.

But blasting about in the outback of the Desert West by yourself, there is not another lamp that even comes close to these babies. None. Not the PHIDs, nor the Hellas HIDs. If you can deal with their heft and girth, these Solteks are most definitely The Shit to have.
I'd be worried about drawing the attention of the extraterrestrial lurkers. Not even an FJR could outrun a pack of rogue E.T's in their space speeders.

Well, yes..... they are, in fact, sold for "off-road use only" from the retailer.

There is no reasonable way to use these in the presence of prevailing traffic. No way at all. You will melt vehicles approaching them from the rear. And you will blind oncoming traffic a half mile away.

Although a LEO could ticket you for it they aren't likely to: I used to have a 4X4 with off road lights with no covers and was never hassled, I've seen lots of 4X4's with the same, I commonly have my PHID's on during the day in the city (people really notice you! :D ) and in High School a friends dad flashed an on coming car with his high beams with no result so he flashed his off road lights...... the on coming Kern County Sheriff flashed all his pretty red & blue lights but turned off his high beams and didn't turn around and do anything else.

OK, what I understand from this discussion is that the Sloteks are, technically, NOT street legal. But, if used judiciously, i.e., dimming for oncoming traffic, turning them off during daytime, etc., I would be unlikely to encounter problems w/ a LEO.

Thanx, Guys.