Tech Day in Southwest Virginia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so proud of you Jeff. You seem to more and more comfortable with the VA roads & no longer need to route around the state.

To Scott (blindsquirrel)... I saw a note from you about shield cutouts mimicking the cal sci windshield. I have a shield... a Cee Bailey with flip that I think is a +4 high x +2 or +4 wide that has those cutouts. Compliments of Jeff Ashe when he became a Gen 2 bloke.

Once upon a time I made a tracing of my shield since there were other folks who wanted to mimic it & used mine as a template. I've long since missplaced that template. If you'd be interested in me sending it to you for your use, let me know if you'd be interested in me making an honest effort to look for it.

& in case you're wondering... the cutouts make a world of difference.

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so proud of you Jeff. You seem to more and more comfortable with the VA roads & no longer need to route around the state.

To Scott (blindsquirrel)... I saw a note from you about shield cutouts mimicking the cal sci windshield. I have a shield... a Cee Bailey with flip that I think is a +4 high x +2 or +4 wide that has those cutouts. Compliments of Jeff Ashe when he became a Gen 2 bloke.

Once upon a time I made a tracing of my shield since there were other folks who wanted to mimic it & used mine as a template. I've long since missplaced that template. If you'd be interested in me sending it to you for your use, let me know if you'd be interested in me making an honest effort to look for it.

& in case you're wondering... the cutouts make a world of difference.

Heidi

Thanks Heidi. I have a Rifle. It is better than the Cee Baily I had, but I notice the top of the shield seems to buffet a lot. I am wondering if doing cut outs in it would stop that. Another part of me is telling myself to buy a Cal Sci. and not cut the Rifle Decisions, decisons.

Wish I could have made it over. It sounds like it was a great time and a great learning expierence. I'll be keeping my eyes (and hopefully my work schedule) open for the next one.

Once upon a time i had a rifle shield, also. I like the Cee Bailey a ton better. But honestly, I never ran the Rifle with the cutouts.

I expect that the template would also work with a Rifle since I remember tracing the mounting holes. If you change your mind & want to do surgery let me know. i hear that doing the cutting deed is not that difficult.

Great group of FJR owners !!! Learned a lot and had a good day . :)
Any photos at the meet, of the owners or their bikes being worked on??
Jogle and Extrememarine were snapping a few shots Saturday. My hands were always too dirty to grab my phone, but I did manage to take these two picks of my bike torn in to......

592396690_photobucket_8372_.jpg

592396690_photobucket_8374_.jpg

Made it home safe with a little over 900 miles traveled. It was nice to meet everyone.

Thanks to HaulinAshe and extrememarine for sharing their knowledge and experience, oh, and alot also came from one called Big Frank... thank you

We had a couple of ginny-pigs bikes that were being worked on... so a thank you to rcpd807 for him providing "one sick puppy".

A special thanks to vasteve for his ginny-pig and hosting this fine event. :clapping:

A great weekend for sure... Thanks to everyone :clapping:

Now that trip back leaving with extrememarine and HaulinAshe.... :eek:

Don't tell anybody... but I've learned how to have "safe riding" in VA, and not leave my "protection" behind.

:D

Thanks Heidi. I have a Rifle. It is better than the Cee Baily I had, but I notice the top of the shield seems to buffet a lot. I am wondering if doing cut outs in it would stop that. Another part of me is telling myself to buy a Cal Sci. and not cut the Rifle Decisions, decisons.
One of the significant changes from Gen-I to Gen-II was the windshield mechanism. The Gen-II mech allows the shield to raise and lower without making such a huge change in the angle of the shield. When you raise a Gen-I, the shield becomes significantly more "vertical" than at lower positions. That creates significantly more back pressure on your helmet. Also included in the Gen-II update is more venting into the "rider compartment" to further reduce that back pressure effect.

The cutouts allow air to flow past the shield and up the inside surface of the shield itself. The air that passes through the cutouts is rarely felt anywhere past the handle bars. You can actually see bug guts being splattered up the inside surface after making the cutouts. There is also very little rain that passes through the cutouts and makes it anywhere but over top of the rider's head.

I did some pretty serious research on the cutout design to arrive at that final pattern on the windshield Heidi now owns. Grumpy did similar cutouts using that pattern and had good luck edging the cuts with a torch. Go for it!!!

Don't tell anybody... but I've learned how to have "safe riding" in VA, and not leave my "protection" behind.

:D
Just don't hit the brakes when the hit you with the radar...sure way to confirm an RD is onboard.

If that's what you were talkin about... :D

Notice, I'm not in ANY of the photos. I must have been out riding goat trails and they never missed me.

:)