The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fork Adjustments:

What we are seeing on the left fork is something that is going to be more and more prevalent on street bikes... track bikes are another matter, of course. I am told the engineering changes are primarily due to the ability to reduce overall complexity, foaming, and to reduce unsprung weight. Suzuki is doing (and have been for a while, apparently) the same type of thing.
WOW....we get engineering improvements to the front suspension and I thought the only thing that was happening was that Yamaha was trying to cut costs. I wonder if GP Suspension, Racetech, Traxxion, and the other suspension shops are aware of the benefits of these latest non-adjustable forks. It may be old tech but I am still wishing for inverted forks with full adjustability...just like what has been offered on sport bikes and European sport-touring bikes for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I've been away on dealing with a lot of personal items, haven't been able to hit the forum as much as I would like.

But I do have some news from our friends at Cypress to report.. regarding the fork adjustment issue, and the cruise control. Please don't shoot the messenger... I can only report what I am told, and we'll have to just speculate on any reasoning/logic/etc behind what I am told.... :assassin:

Fork Adjustments:

What we are seeing on the left fork is something that is going to be more and more prevalent on street bikes... track bikes are another matter, of course. I am told the engineering changes are primarily due to the ability to reduce overall complexity, foaming, and to reduce unsprung weight. Suzuki is doing (and have been for a while, apparently) the same type of thing.

Maximum Cruise Control setting:

Thanks to the great state of Texas, we are liable to see some (quiet) adjustments to the max speed setting sometime in the near future.

Not a whole lot more can be said at this time (on this very public forum, one that I *assure* you Cypress is watching closely). Still, a maximum setting increase to the Texas-high of 85mph is likely to happen at some point. It involves a software change. Can't say a lot more, and truthfully, don't actually know a whole lot more, other than Yamaha is aware of this issue, and it's importance to those of us blessed with wide-open spaces having minimal populations.
I hope that if they do this they at least build in a 10 MPH over cushion. (if they are reading)

Alex has them.... support our forum vendors!
thumb.gif

1800Lu LED Aux Lamps - Realtime Industries

P1040187__62477_zoom.JPG
I have the dimmer installed on the brighter 4LED units mounted on these brackets. Turning them down makes them superb vis lights which can stay on all the time - doesnt bother anyone and man are they visable. Bypass them with a switch to full brightness and you can fry an egg with them

Dale, curious about the fuel gauge. How would you rate it's accuracy, i.e. when the last bar starts flashing, how much fuel does it take to fill?

Also curious about the distance to empty function. Does it seems realistic?

I did indeed experiment with trying to run the tank to empty about a week ago. Like I say, a lot of issues have preventing me from hitting up the forum like I would like to... :(

First, the "Remaining Range" function display... this is interesting feature, I would say it is slightly optimistic, but not excessively so.

When I ran the bike to the last bar, the "Remaining Range" showed something on the order of 49 miles remaining until empty. I continued an interstate run with the cruise set at around 72 mph indicated (an exact 70 mph according to Garmin). It wasn't clear to me if the remaining range display was going to be actual (total) miles remaining until I was out of fuel, or the remaining miles until I hit reserve (ie, last bar starts flashing), whereupon a "fuel" odometer would begin at 0.0 miles and start to count up. By the time the "Range" display dropped to about 21 miles, I figured it would run to 0 and then the last bar would start flashing, which would then allegedly have me a bit over a gallon (~ 1.2-ish or so) until true empty.

As it turned out... neither of these was the case.

A very short time after the fuel range dropped to 16 miles remaining, the last bar started blinking, indicating I was now into my reserve. The fuel range indicator would no longer display; a "count up" (since reaching reserve) odometer displayed in its place. I got off the interstate 6 miles later, and re-fueled the tank as normal.

I took on-board a noteworthy 5.3 gallons, went meant I (allegedly) still had ~ 1.3-ish gallons of fuel remaining. I find all this basically consistent with the wording in Owner's Manual, and interpreted the Fuel Range display to be fairly accurate, perhaps a pinch optimistic.

More testing is indicated to see if I get repeatable, consistent results.
Good feedback, thanks!!

A more than a little disappointed they don't use the distance to empty for the whole tank. I really dislike my current fuel gauge, It's flashing empty/reserve when in fact I've still got nearly two gallons remaining. This new version sounds like it might be a little more accurate but still not what I was hoping for. Oh well.

There's always trip meters and average fuel consumption. Fuel gauges are little more than idiot boxes that tell you when you are generally getting low.

A good fill up at commencement of reserve will let you know how much gas you have in the tank when reserve hits. How much usable gas you actually have will be determined by someone with a gas can or aux tank...having run the reserve to empty.

Good feedback, thanks!!

A more than a little disappointed they don't use the distance to empty for the whole tank. I really dislike my current fuel gauge, It's flashing empty/reserve when in fact I've still got nearly two gallons remaining. This new version sounds like it might be a little more accurate but still not what I was hoping for. Oh well.

I'm just the opposite, always real happy with knowing that I have another sixty to eighty miles left.

Beats the heck out of the old way of checking fuel level, pulling the cap and shaking the bike to see if you could see fuel. Then thinking to yourself "oh crap the reserve is only good for ten or fifteen miles"!

And that was when the bikes were lucky to have a three and a half gallon tanks on them. :eek:

...Beats the heck out of the old way of checking fuel level, pulling the cap and shaking the bike to see if you could see fuel. Then thinking to yourself "oh crap the reserve is only good for ten or fifteen miles"!

And that was when the bikes were lucky to have a three and a half gallon tanks on them. :eek:
Always loved those stylish "tear drop" tanks on the Sportsters...

...Beats the heck out of the old way of checking fuel level, pulling the cap and shaking the bike to see if you could see fuel. Then thinking to yourself "oh crap the reserve is only good for ten or fifteen miles"!

See my avitar wheaton then google slippery sam, sportster my hiney!

Beats the heck out of the old way of checking fuel level, pulling the cap and shaking the bike to see if you could see fuel. Then thinking to yourself "oh crap the reserve is only good for ten or fifteen miles"!

Or waiting for the engine to die so you can switch to reserve. Nothing like realizing that you are sucking more gas out of your tank riding hard in the Arkansas mountains on your DRZ400SM with it's stock 2.6 gallon tank and you are far from any town with gas pumps and you just were forced to switch to reserve.

As it turns out, a DRZ will go pretty far on very little gas when ridden like a total pussy. :yahoo:

See my avitar wheaton then google slippery sam, sportster my hiney!
Wasn't meaning to insinuate you rode a sportster...

Let me see...google slippery sam...oh here it is...

Slippery Sam Tomcat Urethral Catheters

thumb-TTM30110E_slip_sam.jpg
Polytetrafluroethylene (PTFE) catheter with end hole for the drainage or administration of fluids.

Product Features

• Highly lubricious catheter shaft material ensures ease of catheter placement
  • Low profile silicone hub enables syringe attachment for flushing or connection to a closed collection system
  • Suture holes in the silicone hub allow securing of the catheter to the prepuce
  • Sterile
I have no idea why you wanted me to google that... ;)

It would appear that the Euro bike will have cruise control that operates between 50kph and 180kph (112mph). Would be interesting to see how the code differs between the US and Euro bike.

https://fjclub.co.uk/#/new-fjr1300-2013/4569382740
Thats a misread, he read 180 instead of 130 is my guess.

R
Pretty sure the figures are correct they come from Yamaha, more likely to have higher cruise control speeds settings in Europe due to the fact that higher speeds allowed on some of our roads.

It would appear that the Euro bike will have cruise control that operates between 50kph and 180kph (112mph). Would be interesting to see how the code differs between the US and Euro bike.

R
Pretty sure the figures are correct they come from Yamaha, more likely to have higher cruise control speeds settings in Europe due to the fact that higher speeds allowed on some of our roads.
Not where you live thats for sure.....

R

Gen2 pazzo's do fit......

file-11.jpg
Awesome shot, Richard! Those black Pazzos look HAWT on the GenIII! B)

Skyway Sliders on the other hand do not....
Happily, the lower engine mount bolt looks considerably exposed. I am betting R&G (or similar company) will be bringing out GenIII sliders fairly quickly, and it appears no cowling drilling will be necessary:

EngineMount.jpg
Have you determined if those 1300 badges on the cowling are adhesive or drilled fastened? That and side bag reflectors are added bling!!!

R
Not where you live thats for sure.....

R

Too true, 70mph is the legal max in the UK, though motorway traffic tends to travel at 80mph. Most of Europe has a higher maximun speed (around 80mph) and some German Autobahns are unlimited in the dry.