The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Parking" position on the ignition switch --

The '13 has this new feature. From the Owner's Manual:

The steering is locked, and the taillights, license plate light, auxiliary lights and position lights are on. The hazard lights and turn signal lights can be turned on, but all other electrical systems are off. The key can be removed. The steering must be locked before the key can be turned to "Parking".

Always been on all European FJRs, together with the headlamp flasher "passing" switch, which looks like it's incorporated in the headlamp dip switch on the '13. New for the US?

Also noticed that the Gear Indicator on the display now shows an "N" for neutral in addition to the individual Neutral LED indicator. I don't recall the Gen II's offering an "N" in the gear display, just a blank display for neutral.

Is there a reg that requires a separate green light for a neutral indication?
Correct, Gen II were blank. I'd prefer the 'N'. Is that a good enough reason to get a '13?

I believe the neutral light is a legal requirement at least in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
...First off, all talk about new transmission gearing is completely false. The gear ratios of the transmission are in fact identical to those in all FJRs since the very first rolled off the line on 2001...
multiply this statement by 0.75

"Yamaha has employed a new machining method for the (transmission) gears along with a new shift shaft"

...First off, all talk about new transmission gearing is completely false. The gear ratios of the transmission are in fact identical to those in all FJRs since the very first rolled off the line on 2001...

"Yamaha has employed a new machining method for the (transmission) gears along with a new shift shaft"
What is the source of that quote? If it is the same source that also said "revised gear ratios and overdrive 5th gear, blah, blah, blah..." I would still be extremely suspect that anything is actually different inside.

For one thing, why would they have modified the machining method or the shift shaft at all? The FJR Transmission has proven to be pretty damn solid over the prior decade. The only tranny problems I have ever heard of were worn/mashed gear dogs caused by bent shift forks, not the shaft. Or maybe the term "shift shaft" includes the shift forks for sales/marketing dorks? :unsure:

It's Friday!

In this corner Ionbeam!

His challenger, FredW!

..now then, who's wearing the pink shorts? :lol:

What about the middle gear? I've heard of at least 2 failures... Dean Tanji was one IIRC.

What is the source of that quote? If it is the same source that also said "revised gear ratios and overdrive 5th gear, blah, blah, blah..." I would still be extremely suspect that anything is actually different inside.

For one thing, why would they have modified the machining method or the shift shaft at all? The FJR Transmission has proven to be pretty damn solid over the prior decade. The only tranny problems I have ever heard of were worn/mashed gear dogs caused by bent shift forks, not the shaft. Or maybe the term "shift shaft" includes the shift forks for sales/marketing dorks? :unsure:
Well, after riding my son in laws Honda NC700X I have to say that there is a lot of room for improvement in the FJR gearbox when compared to that Honda. It shifts so smoooooooth. When I read Ionbeam's comment I was hoping the new machining on the gears was to imitate that smoothness in the gearbox.

I read it here.

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2013-yamaha-fjr1300a-review-91462.html?utm_source=mo11082012&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

"There are still only five gears in the cog box, but Yamaha has employed a new machining method for the gears along with a new shift shaft. Together, they provide for a smoother shifting experience. Shaft drive transfers power to the rear wheel in a virtually maintenance-free manner."

...What is the source of that quote?...
Oh man, now I have to show my work? I have read several magazine reviews where they have had 'factory handouts' touting the better'n sliced bread 2013 FJR. Every one has specifically mentioned the new cut gears and changed shift shaft. One article (need to see if I can find it) went into good detail about the change to the shift shaft. I understand about the credibility of some magazines, but when you get the same word for word text from more than two sources it seems to put some veracity to it. (Those that doubt that the light in the 'frig goes out when the door closes won't know for sure until they look at a shop manual or go over to Fairlaner's house and take his engine apart :lol: )

Oh man, now I have to show my work? I have read several magazine reviews where they have had 'factory handouts' touting the better'n sliced bread 2013 FJR. Every one has specifically mentioned the new cut gears and changed shift shaft. One article (need to see if I can find it) went into good detail about the change to the shift shaft. I understand about the credibility of some magazines, but when you get the same word for word text from more than two sources it seems to put some veracity to it. (Those that doubt that the light in the 'frig goes out when the door closes won't know for sure until they look at a shop manual or go over to Fairlaner's house and take his engine apart :lol: )
Yeah, but this is our boy Fred!!! Don't even get him started on the Cats in the exhaust! That boy should be living in Missouri. You know, the 'Show Me' state.......

:lol:

Based on the part numbers (1MC prefix) at least two transmission gears were modified. Don't know what they did but it must have been fairly minimal because the part numbers of the dogged gears which mesh with each of the new gears didn't change.

The shift cam was changed (1MC part number).

Maybe it's not allowed but I would like to see the shift pattern changed with neutral all the way down at the bottom position. If that was implemented the 1 to 2 shift would be easier with fewer miscues. With neutral between 1 and 2 it would seem that the 1 to 2 shift is almost certainly more difficult to execute. I've seen reports where people have shifting problems, fork problems, dog slippage problems focused mostly with 2nd gear. I've got to believe that may be a function of the notchy transition when shifting from 1 to 2.

(Those that doubt that the light in the 'frig goes out when the door closes won't know for sure until they look at a shop manual or go over to Fairlaner's house and take his engine apart :lol: )
Yeah, but this is our boy Fred!!! Don't even get him started on the Cats in the exhaust! That boy should be living in Missouri. You know, the 'Show Me' state.......

:lol:
Mother of God SkooterG: First you jimmy kick the poor defenseless Canuckistanis, now you're picking on good old Freddie Bear. What happened? Did RadioHowie take the afternoon off as "Resident FJR Forum Prick of the Day" and let you take over for him???

Maybe it's not allowed but I would like to see the shift pattern changed with neutral all the way down at the bottom position. If that was implemented the 1 to 2 shift would be easier with fewer miscues. With neutral between 1 and 2 it would seem that the 1 to 2 shift is almost certainly more difficult to execute. I've seen reports where people have shifting problems, fork problems, dog slippage problems focused mostly with 2nd gear. I've got to believe that may be a function of the notchy transition when shifting from 1 to 2.
The reason first is all the way down is to prevent accidentally putting the bike in neutral when it needs to be in first. This is now (obviously) standard on all street motorcycles sold in this country.

Um, neutral is at the bottom with the AE...
I stand corrected. I have never ridden an AE.

In the 70's the manufacturers "standardized" the controls of motorcycles, with some direction and urging from the government. Some of you will remember the Triumphs that had the shifter on the right, this is no longer the case. 1st gear was all the way down for safety reasons. It was considered possible while downshifting in a corner to get neutral when you really wanted 1st. It was also considered to be a very fast way of finding 1st while the motorcycle was stopped so as to allow evasive action. There was no reason to find neutral in a hurry.

NHTSA standard #123 covers motorcycle controls and indicators. This covers taillights, headlights, neutral indicators, and much more. There is no law stating that neutral be located between 1st and 2nd. It does designate that lower ratios (higher gears) be accessed by pulling the shifter up with the toe.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, the AE being one of those. So, to amend my original statement: This is the standard for street motorcycles sold in this country. But, there is no law stating a manufacturer has to adhere to what is considered standard, in this case.

Oh man, now I have to show my work? I have read several magazine reviews where they have had 'factory handouts' touting the better'n sliced bread 2013 FJR. Every one has specifically mentioned the new cut gears and changed shift shaft. One article (need to see if I can find it) went into good detail about the change to the shift shaft. I understand about the credibility of some magazines, but when you get the same word for word text from more than two sources it seems to put some veracity to it.
Well... the other thing that has happened over the years is that the magazines tend to plagiarize each other pretty heavily, which is how some of these rumors get so widely spread. But if you (ionbeam) have seen the details on this new shift shaft and gear machining process that would be the kind of evidence that I was asking for. I haven't run across it yet.

But the gear ratios, which were also widely reported to be revised, are definitely not changed, based on the published ratios in the Yamaha owners manual.

As for those mysterious 2nd gen cats in the cans, now removed in the '13, I've now heard two different owners claim to have seen them for themselves by peeking into the open end of the can. I'd still like to see what they look like (out of the cans), not because I doubt they exist anymore, I'm convinced. But because they must be of a different type or design than any other cat I've seen to be able to catalyze emission ignition at such a low temperature.

If there are converters in the muffler section they might be detected with a temperature sensor. The converters would likely retain heat longer after an engine shutdown.

Look for a localized hot spot in the mufflers.

------------

With the new "Parking" position on the ignition switch the wire count must have increased by at least one with its soldered connection.

I wonder if they reworked the switch and got rid of the paralleled wires which were included in the recall fix?