The Evil that is 13....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With the new "Parking" position on the ignition switch the wire count must have increased by at least one with its soldered connection.

I wonder if they reworked the switch and got rid of the paralleled wires which were included in the recall fix?
The Europeans have always had this "park" position on the ignition switch. Did we ever have the recall? I'm not aware of it here.

If we didn't, ours was possibly adequate all along, so hopefully yours will be as well.

Just been having a browse of the '13 owner's manual, and found that they specify tyre pressures of 36psi front and 42 rear, very different from the 39 front and 42 rear of the previous years.

Do you lucky '13 riders go with a lower front pressure as indicated?

Obviously Yamaha think the change in suspension warrants this reduced pressure. Are they right?

Just been having a browse of the '13 owner's manual, and found that they specify tyre pressures of 36psi front and 42 rear, very different from the 39 front and 42 rear of the previous years.

Obviously Yamaha think the change in suspension warrants this reduced pressure. Are they right?
Sticker on the swingarm of my '05 says (in psi):

36 Front & 36 Rear -- one up

and

36 Front & 42 Rear -- loaded (which matches what you've said the 2013 service manual specifies)

However, I typically run Pilot Road 2s at:

37 Front and 40 Rear -- one up

and

39 Front and 42 Rear -- loaded

Do the various years' service manuals specify something different from the swingarm stickers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sticker on the swingarm of my '05 says (in psi):

36 Front & 36 Rear -- one up

and

36 Front & 42 Rear -- loaded (which matches what you've said the 2013 service manual specifies)

However, I typically run Pilot Road 2s at:

37 Front and 40 Rear -- one up

and

39 Front and 42 Rear -- loaded

Do the various years' service manuals specify something different from the swingarm stickers?
Gen IIs are 39 front. Page from my '10's Owners Manual (and my '06 was the same):

1_TyrePressures10.jpg

And, if you delve into the NEPRT territory, you'll find most people (including me) run theirs a pound or two higher than "the book", 40:43 or so.

Hoooooo, BABY!!

The garauld GenIII Aux Light Bracket Spacers arrived... they look mighty awesome!!

Pics of them tonight... :D
Warchild, did you get any snap shots with the brackets mounted? Also, are your brackets the thick ones from days of old?

Hopefully, I will have one of these next year.

I did stop by Redding Yamaha SeaDoo (RYS) today to see one in person. I found #34 sitting on the showroom floor.

Congrats on the new ride Richard and Dale.

Greg

Hey Warchild, lookee what I found today!!!

DSCN0557.jpg

Your bike was one number away from being a show whore. This beauty was letting every guy walking by just paw her like they owned her. A few of us even mounted her.

DSCN0556.jpg

I guess they made a bunch of non Cali bikes first then decided they better make some for us.....Maybe 0025 is the first of the Cali bikes.....

R

Sorry guys, I've been away on dealing with a lot of personal items, haven't been able to hit the forum as much as I would like.

But I do have some news from our friends at Cypress to report.. regarding the fork adjustment issue, and the cruise control. Please don't shoot the messenger... I can only report what I am told, and we'll have to just speculate on any reasoning/logic/etc behind what I am told.... :assassin:

Fork Adjustments:

What we are seeing on the left fork is something that is going to be more and more prevalent on street bikes... track bikes are another matter, of course. I am told the engineering changes are primarily due to the ability to reduce overall complexity, foaming, and to reduce unsprung weight. Suzuki is doing (and have been for a while, apparently) the same type of thing.

Maximum Cruise Control setting:

Thanks to the great state of Texas, we are liable to see some (quiet) adjustments to the max speed setting sometime in the near future.

Not a whole lot more can be said at this time (on this very public forum, one that I *assure* you Cypress is watching closely). Still, a maximum setting increase to the Texas-high of 85mph is likely to happen at some point. It involves a software change. Can't say a lot more, and truthfully, don't actually know a whole lot more, other than Yamaha is aware of this issue, and it's importance to those of us blessed with wide-open spaces having minimal populations.

What is the red key in the lower right area of the tach for? Nice bike btw...
That photo is of a European FJR instrument panel; it's for their anti-theft key fob dealio, I believe.

North American GenIII FJRs do not have this light on their tachometers.
Gen II Canadian FJR's have the immobilizer found on Euro spec'd bikes.. I suspect Gen III Canadian FJR's will also have an immobilizer. The Canadian SuperTenere has it, whereas the US version does not.

Dale, curious about the fuel gauge. How would you rate it's accuracy, i.e. when the last bar starts flashing, how much fuel does it take to fill?

Also curious about the distance to empty function. Does it seems realistic?

Dale, curious about the fuel gauge. How would you rate it's accuracy, i.e. when the last bar starts flashing, how much fuel does it take to fill?

Also curious about the distance to empty function. Does it seems realistic?

I did indeed experiment with trying to run the tank to empty about a week ago. Like I say, a lot of issues have preventing me from hitting up the forum like I would like to... :(

First, the "Remaining Range" function display... this is interesting feature, I would say it is slightly optimistic, but not excessively so.

When I ran the bike to the last bar, the "Remaining Range" showed something on the order of 49 miles remaining until empty. I continued an interstate run with the cruise set at around 72 mph indicated (an exact 70 mph according to Garmin). It wasn't clear to me if the remaining range display was going to be actual (total) miles remaining until I was out of fuel, or the remaining miles until I hit reserve (ie, last bar starts flashing), whereupon a "fuel" odometer would begin at 0.0 miles and start to count up. By the time the "Range" display dropped to about 21 miles, I figured it would run to 0 and then the last bar would start flashing, which would then allegedly have me a bit over a gallon (~ 1.2-ish or so) until true empty.

As it turned out... neither of these was the case.

A very short time after the fuel range dropped to 16 miles remaining, the last bar started blinking, indicating I was now into my reserve. The fuel range indicator would no longer display; a "count up" (since reaching reserve) odometer displayed in its place. I got off the interstate 6 miles later, and re-fueled the tank as normal.

I took on-board a noteworthy 5.3 gallons, went meant I (allegedly) still had ~ 1.3-ish gallons of fuel remaining. I find all this basically consistent with the wording in Owner's Manual, and interpreted the Fuel Range display to be fairly accurate, perhaps a pinch optimistic.

More testing is indicated to see if I get repeatable, consistent results.