The Five Faces of my FJR.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance I could come check this out in person, I really like the look of the Remus exhaust, however clips from youtube for audio kind of suck.

Bike looks awesome...

Scooby

Any chance I could come check this out in person, I really like the look of the Remus exhaust, however clips from youtube for audio kind of suck.
Bike looks awesome...

Scooby
Scooby,

Sure. Send me a pm sometime and/or I will pm you the next time I am going for an afternoon ride.

WW

Just got my '08 about 2 months ago and time to start farkling! Thanks for all of your pics and ideas...time to start shopping.

Great looking bike!!!

Just got my '08 about 2 months ago and time to start farkling! Thanks for all of your pics and ideas...time to start shopping.
Great looking bike!!!
Tate,

I really like the black 08! The silver stripes look super cool against the black!

Thanks for your input,

WW

WW, what are you doing?? The left side fairing stripes look almost perfect, but the right sides are too low in several pics, then too high in other pics.

I got Premier Cycle to add a PN to the 'wide' stripe saddle bag kit, because I LIKE them!! So they can be ordered from the catalog now. But I wish they would do the silver in reflective.

Got some stripes for X-mas for the 08, might have to do an 06', 07', 08' line up next summer.
Scooby,

Sounds good. Let me know when you want to go.

Richard,

I think camera angles can change the view sometimes. Though, I never claim to have the perfect stripes... Just the perfect power mods.

Glad to see Duane at Premiere likes my bag stripe design and is selling them regular like on his site.

Duane, feel free to use a real pic of my bags for your site.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
WW, do you still use the comfort gel seat?
Big ears,

Nope. I liked them (they looked nice too) but they proved to be a bit stiff even after a few thousand

miles. Sold them to another member.

WW

I never claim to have the perfect stripes... Just the perfect power mods.
You might not be able to make that claim anymore once I finish my bike :)

I'll see your Remus Hexacones and modded airbox, and raise it with ceramic coated stainless steel Holeshot headers and a self-tuning fuel injection system...

:ph34r:

I never claim to have the perfect stripes... Just the perfect power mods.
You might not be able to make that claim anymore once I finish my bike :)

I'll see your Remus Hexacones and modded airbox, and raise it with ceramic coated stainless steel Holeshot headers and a self-tuning fuel injection system...

:ph34r:
Pickless,

Sounds great.. I hope you can find more Hp/Tq. Two things need to happen with your bike before you will be a contender....

1) That self tuning box has to work as good as you/I hope it does... I wonder if it will fatten the mixture up enough on the top (for max HP power) while still making it lean enough in the middle to have max Tq??? Through my dyno trials and data logging (with my wide band 02 sniffer, under real World load) I have found that there is not a set AFR value that gives you this. For the best HP and Tq through the range, I needed my mixture to be slightly richer on the bottom, then a lot leaner in the middle til max Tq and then very fat on the top for max Hp. If that box is set for a specific value (13.5 or something) you might be disappointed. I hope not because it sounds very cool!!

Check it:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...hl=wicked+webby

2) ALSO: You will need to expand that 15% opened up air box mod so that you can get more air and then more fuel. The left and right cut out only mod with a stock style filter (KnN, UNI or any other) does not open it up enough for max 100% power. I know this from my dyno trials and rides with Gramps against his (left and right cut out only ) style air box modded on his 05 Gen I (and the Gen I has better accel gears than the Gen II, I might add). I have said it before: MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!!

Let me know how it all turns out.

Happy HP Hunting.

WW

Pickless,
Sounds great.. I hope you can find more Hp/Tq. Two things need to happen with your bike before you will be a contender....

1) That self tuning box has to work as good as you/I hope it does... I wonder if it will fatten the mixture up enough on the top (for max HP power) while still making it lean enough in the middle to have max Tq??? Through my dyno trials and data logging (with my wide band 02 sniffer, under real World load) I have found that there is not a set AFR value that gives you this. For the best HP and Tq through the range, I needed my mixture to be slightly richer on the bottom, then a lot leaner in the middle til max Tq and then very fat on the top for max Hp. If that box is set for a specific value (13.5 or something) you might be disappointed. I hope not because it sounds very cool!!

Check it:

2) ALSO: You will need to expand that 15% opened up air box mod so that you can get more air and then more fuel. The left and right cut out only mod with a stock style filter (KnN, UNI or any other) does not open it up enough for max 100% power. I know this from my dyno trials and rides with Gramps against his (left and right cut out only ) style air box modded on his 05 Gen I (and the Gen I has better accel gears than the Gen II, I might add). I have said it before: MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!! MAX air is needed for the FJR to sing!!!

Happy HP Hunting.

WW
1) The Motty AFR Tuner allows you to specify the desired AFR value for every throttle position/RPM combination in the table (higher resolution than a Power Commander at 14 discrete throttle positions and at 150 RPM increments). Because the Motty has such fine control over the fueling, I don't have to make compromises between mid-range torque and max HP. Those compromises are already mostly predetermined by engine design, and maybe partially effected by my choice of exhaust.

The reason you had to deal with those compromises is because the tuner that you are using controls absolute levels of adjustment to the amount of fuel provided over wide ranges of RPMs. A particular setting may give you the ideal AFR for max torque at high RPMs (resulting in best peak HP values), but the AFR at lower RPMs would not be ideal (resulting in loss of torque/power in those RPMs). The data log charts you posted here confirm this because the AFR does not stay constant.

With the Motty, I can attain an ideal AFR for max torque (possibly 12.8:1, as you found) at wide open throttle for ALL RPMs. At any given RPM, HP and torque are directly related. So I will get max torque possible at every RPM, which means I will have max HP possible at every RPM... max peak HP without compromising "grunt" anywhere :)

2) I'm lazy, so I haven't decided whether to go with the fully modded airbox like yours. I'm also not convinced that my airbox continues to be a significant bottleneck in the airflow after doubling the inlet opening and getting rid of that funnel thing that blocks half of the air filter. Your tests had too many other variables (different generation bikes with different gearing, different riders, different fuel tuning). I know you ran your bike on a dyno with the "funnel" removed, then compared that to the fully modified airbox and adjusted CO settings, but did you ever test with the funnel removed AND the other side of the airbox opened up (with stock air filter) AND adjusted CO values? That would be the only way to see if there's a noticeable difference.

If I get bored and brave someday, I might hack my airbox like yours. If there is an improvement in airflow due to the mod, then the Motty will adjust for it and I will be able to see that the Motty added more fuel at WOT (by looking at the resulting fuel table and comparing to the fuel table from before the mod) to account for the extra air and keep the AFR at the desired level.

Pickless,

Check it:

Happy HP Hunting.

WW
1) The Motty AFR Tuner allows you to specify the desired AFR value for every throttle position/RPM combination in the table (higher resolution than a Power Commander at 14 discrete throttle positions and at 150 RPM increments). Because the Motty has such fine control over the fueling, I don't have to make compromises between mid-range torque and max HP. Those compromises are already mostly predetermined by engine design, and maybe partially effected by my choice of exhaust.

The reason you had to deal with those compromises is because the tuner that you are using controls absolute levels of adjustment to the amount of fuel provided over wide ranges of RPMs. A particular setting may give you the ideal AFR for max torque at high RPMs (resulting in best peak HP values), but the AFR at lower RPMs would not be ideal (resulting in loss of torque/power in those RPMs). The data log charts you posted here confirm this because the AFR does not stay constant.

With the Motty, I can attain an ideal AFR for max torque (possibly 12.8:1, as you found) at wide open throttle for ALL RPMs. At any given RPM, HP and torque are directly related. So I will get max torque possible at every RPM, which means I will have max HP possible at every RPM... max peak HP without compromising "grunt" anywhere :)

2) I'm lazy, so I haven't decided whether to go with the fully modded airbox like yours. I'm also not convinced that my airbox continues to be a significant bottleneck in the airflow after doubling the inlet opening and getting rid of that funnel thing that blocks half of the air filter. Your tests had too many other variables (different generation bikes with different gearing, different riders, different fuel tuning). I know you ran your bike on a dyno with the "funnel" removed, then compared that to the fully modified airbox and adjusted CO settings, but did you ever test with the funnel removed AND the other side of the airbox opened up (with stock air filter) AND adjusted CO values? That would be the only way to see if there's a noticeable difference.

If I get bored and brave someday, I might hack my airbox like yours. If there is an improvement in airflow due to the mod, then the Motty will adjust for it and I will be able to see that the Motty added more fuel at WOT (by looking at the resulting fuel table and comparing to the fuel table from before the mod) to account for the extra air and keep the AFR at the desired level.
Pickles,

I like what I am hearing about your Motty box, So far...... Real results will have to wait for some dyno time, or a ride wid me. You ain't too far from me, if you wanna do some "performance tuning" runs, let me know. Remember to have a baseline dyno run (with the tuner turned off first) to really see what its doing for you. Please post your dyno sheets. As you know, talk is talk but proof is in the pudding.

It sounds like you are the type that will have to find out on your own that your FJR WANTS AS MUCH AIR AS YOU CAN GIVE HER. I can respect that (I am the same way), if I would had listened to some of the post whores (on this board) that had reported, "There is no Hp to be found within the air box, don't waste your time, don't mess with it, the air box is tuned the best it can be from the factory, its already been discussed and researched!... Blah blah blah blah"

Then, my break through Hp/Tq mods/recipe would have never been posted here! So I say... Keep up your HP hunt and report back. I hope you can find some more HP in there!!

WW

WW as an 07 owner I think yours looks great. I must say that everyone here has missed the best part of the pics. The great chalk art work on the drive that the bike is setting on. I hope you did not wash it off as it probably is museum quality!

Bigears,

Sorry don't have any time slips.. I would love to get up to BIR and run the 1/4.

Boomer,

Ya, I try to save all the art work me little crumb snatchers do!! Though, these snowy MN Winters seem to make a fresh canvass every Spring!!

WW

WW,

I noticed you said that you have Supply-N-Demand frame sliders. Do they have inserts (aluminum collars) inside the Delrin material? I noticed on eBay that they're $15.50 and state that they can't be torqued past 25 ft/lbs (although torque specs for frame bolts is 35 ft/lbs) and require Loctite on the bolts, which makes me believe they're solid Delrin w/o aluminum inserts. Also they use hex head bolts, which require a larger hole to be drilled down the center of the Delrin. The walls of the Delrin material would be a lot thinner than if the sliders were mounted using socket head (Allen) bolts.

Have you had any problems with the bolts loosening? IMHO these sliders will do fine dropping the bike walking it or tipping it over, but I wonder how they would hold up if the bike slides on them at speed.

Thanks for the PM reply to my earlier message. I have tons of questions.

FJJ'sR

WW,
I noticed you said that you have Supply-N-Demand frame sliders. Do they have inserts (aluminum collars) inside the Delrin material? I noticed on eBay that they're $15.50 and state that they can't be torqued past 25 ft/lbs (although torque specs for frame bolts is 35 ft/lbs) and require Loctite on the bolts, which makes me believe they're solid Delrin w/o aluminum inserts. Also they use hex head bolts, which require a larger hole to be drilled down the center of the Delrin. The walls of the Delrin material would be a lot thinner than if the sliders were mounted using socket head (Allen) bolts.

Have you had any problems with the bolts loosening? IMHO these sliders will do fine dropping the bike walking it or tipping it over, but I wonder how they would hold up if the bike slides on them at speed.

Thanks for the PM reply to my earlier message. I have tons of questions.

FJJ'sR
FJJ'sR,

The SnD frame sliders I used are the extended ones. They are all Derlin using longer metric bolts along with washers. They seem pretty sturdy. I have not had any problems with them coming loose, I did torque them to the same specs that the service manual called for (for the allens that I removed) and I did not use lock tight. So far, so good.. But haven't had to test them out... KNOCK ON WOOD!!

I completely agree with your assessment with regards to sliders .... They shouldn't be called that... More like tip over guards.

Look me up (when the ice breaks) sometime when your out for a ride,

WW

WW,

You mentioned "My New Grips that my C14 Buddy (MOTOR659 on the c14 forum) turned me onto" Can you tell me who makes them and the part/model no.?

Thanks, Corey

My New Grips that my C14 Buddy (MOTOR659 on the c14 forum) turned me onto,

Newgrips.jpg

WW

WW,

An ex-'sotan here, and the pics remind me of those great summer days up there. That kind of grass doesn't grow down here.

Sorry if you addressed it somewhere here already, but how do you like the Remus cans? I like the clean look, with no strap wrapped around them...

Jeff