Tinted Handguards (In a Very Cheap Price!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed these on my 08 with a rifle windshield. They hit the shield at full lock. Would adding bar riser help the clearance? If so what risers to get and is there enough slack in the lines without issues?

I installed these on my 08 with a rifle windshield. They hit the shield at full lock. Would adding bar riser help the clearance? If so what risers to get and is there enough slack in the lines without issues?
Have a look at this thread..
smile.png

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/

I installed my set this evening, I took a little different tack, i used a step drill to open the Grip End hole in the deflector to .750, then a McGuivered piece of emery cloth in a slotted stick turned by a electric drill to open to the final dimension of the step down in the bar weight so that the bar weight with stock screw holds the outboard end in place.

I used the supplied brackets under the clutch and brake lever pivot bolts to hold the inner ends, I was unhappy with the slop in the bracketry so I made a step bushing out of some parts in the junk box to better hold the Bracket on the Pivot Bolt end.

They do a good job of keeping air off of my hands, hoping they will do the same with rain I always seem to run into in Wisconsin.

I installed my set this evening, I took a little different tack, i used a step drill to open the Grip End hole in the deflector to .750, then a McGuivered piece of emery cloth in a slotted stick turned by a electric drill to open to the final dimension of the step down in the bar weight so that the bar weight with stock screw holds the outboard end in place.
I used the supplied brackets under the clutch and brake lever pivot bolts to hold the inner ends, I was unhappy with the slop in the bracketry so I made a step bushing out of some parts in the junk box to better hold the Bracket on the Pivot Bolt end.
Got photos you can share, John?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20160525_094110159_zpsjomrvnr4.jpg

I don't know if these are installed right side up or wrong side up, but, the inner bracket worked much better under the nut on the bottom.

IMG_20160525_094120488_zpsvzqd3cke.jpg

I don't like the three thread engagement on the Brake and Clutch Lever Through-bolts.

You can just see the step bushing under the nut, it is a silver piece.

Loctite is my friend.

Thinking about having some longer Through-bolts manufactured locally.

I did trim the very end of the grip rubber on the Throttle side to assure free throttle movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing.....I have a set of these sitting on my workbench waiting to be installed. I've been putting it off because I know it's not going to be an easy plug and play.

I like the set I got. I use them during the Winter and they do a good job. Now if I could just figure out how to get these to work with a Throttlemeister.

Burns1

I live in the area of long winters. I installed a set on my 08. Three mods necessary to use with a throttle meister and stock levers. Drill end hole to 3/4 inch. Drill lever pivot bolt hole to 1/4 inch. Slot the guards about 3/4 inch wide in the area of the side reflector (I removed the side tape on reflector) to clear the lever ends. The plastic is probably hdpe and is very durable, not fragile. Also they are not semitransparent. I have removed them for the summer, late fall they go on.

First good test was my ride to NAFO. They work well and do a good job of pushing air into my jacket sleeves when desired.

John, given your condition with regard to bees and other potential stinging insects, I am not sure you want air blowing up your sleeve. All 3 times I have gotten popped that way and it felt awful. I do not want to think about being anaphylactic as well. Do you wear the Day Long long sleeve shirt all the time?

John, given your condition with regard to bees and other potential stinging insects, I am not sure you want air blowing up your sleeve. All 3 times I have gotten popped that way and it felt awful. I do not want to think about being anaphylactic as well. Do you wear the Day Long long sleeve shirt all the time?
Yes I do wear the LDComfort shirt all the time.

I also found these neat
s-l300.jpg
Jacket Vent Screens that work really well and keep the Bugs out of the sleeves

Anyone have a problem with increased vibration? I mounted a set on my 2015 ES as shown in post 18. Slight increase in vibration at lower rpm but quite a bit worse in the 4 k to 5k range. Cruising at 75 to 85 for a long time would be quite uncomfortable. Any ideas or similar experience?