Turn signal cancellation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, Dick, you could just condition yourself to hit the cancel dedent every now and again to make sure your signals are deactivated. I prolly hit mine every ten minutes or so. Don't even know I'm doing it sometimes.

Sorry for pissing in your Wheaties. Tissue? :grin:

This thread should probably die now, but I don't like to let misconceptions remain.

As for your self-canceling turn signals, aren't there some aftermarket vendors that provide solutions for that?
Skooter, I agree with you - I don't want self cancelling signals either. I just want to see the monitor lights, reliably.

I don't try to guess what a driver is going to do, because quite frankly the stupid ones never cease to amaze and surprise me.
I don't try to "guess" what other drivers are about to do, either. I do try to make informed judgements. Again, if I look at a cage approaching an intersection with its right turn signal on, I am going to get confirmation that he is really turning. (Like he is slowing down.) I think most experienced riders will do the same. The point I am failing to make is that cagers do not have a bike rider's survival instincts and will all too likely take a turn signal at face value. There is an old saying, "Don't judge others by yourself". Because I am not perfect and a lot of bike accidents happen because cars pull in fron to the bike, I just want to be able to see that I inadvertantly left the turn signal on, that's all.

dick

What's a trun signal??
Heck, I don't even know what a trun is, much less how to signal one! :D

I was going to ask that same question. :)

Also, I find it pretty funny that Thug found a way to use "shit" and "dick" in the same sentence.

.....ya perv. :p

Hey Dick. My apologies for the ass-busting. Sometimes you need a thick skin around this place. Best advice I can give is to give back whatever you receive in spades.

Jeezus you guys are a bunch of dicks! :taunt:

-r

Boy-oh-boy, there's a lot of :wubsmiley: in this room!

IF I were to do something about my turn signal, I think the "beeper" is the best. BUT, it's your bike and it works for you. Have you considered using some LEDs that are smaller and more focused? Maybe something wired into your helmet a' la what the wireless radar detectors use. Oorrrr, mount them on the fairing, just to the inside of the mirror, then you could hide the wiring under the dash.

In the end, it doesn't matter. If it works for you and we think their ugly, so what. Its your bike.

My vote is, "They're butt ugly". Now is the time to refine your design. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote is, "They're butt ugly". Now is the time to refine your design. :D
Absolutely. My original post stated that the installation was stupid, fragile, and ugly. I am thinking about LEDs and another wiring and mounting position. However, if the lights don't catch my eye, they are worthless. Right now I don't think an audible method would work because of wind noise, and ear plugs, etc.

Dick

I wonder if you or someone else could modify the HARD system (typically used with Radar Detectors) to blink when your turn signals are on. That should get your attention... and would be much more elegant.

hey its an AE bike right?

After you 'click it', just stick that left hand out - you'll remember to "turn it off" :)

Dick, last year someone mounted a voltmeter in a mirror. If you are talented enough (I'm not!), you could mount the lights/LEDs in the corner of the mirrors and see if theres a way to run the wires inside the mirror bracket, though they may be solid. Is there an aftermarket supply for the surnsignal indicators used on the newer SUVs and pickups with the arrows in the mirrors?

I'd still consider the HARD system, but you'd always have to wear helmet with the receiver inside.

I don't know about anyone else, but on my '05 there is a green light that flashes on my instrument pannel whenever one of my turn signals are blinking. :D

Tim

But a large percentage of the male population is slightly colorblind and green is in the spectrum that many are not able to see well (I once was a photographer and you'd be amazed how many couldn't pass the color-blind test). It is probable that the green flashing light is not alerting Dick, that's why he needs something stronger, a different color or in a better location so he sees it.

Turn signals on the '06 are a step backwards. I can understand not wanting self-canceling signals. But accidents are just that, and it's the one-time you conscientious ass-biters forget that something bad happens. That's why I'd like to see a bigger, brighter arrow displayed somewhere, and an arrow or an LED in the mirror would be something the cagers would notice, and that's added safety.

This is about the stupidist fucking thread I've ever seen. First it's the heat. Waaaa fucking waaaa. Then it's the throttle response. More asswhining.

Then the gawddamn seat is uncomfortable after someone's only ridden the bike for 150 miles...The someone wants to disconnect their ABS because on their old beemer....

Some of you folks need to rub some aloe vera on your sore virginas already and hit the road! :p

Yea that's right! I said it! :****: :yahoo:

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the original post was dumb at all. I don't like self cancellers, but there are a number of FJR riders that seem to need them. It seems that some of the alzheimers affected FJR riders around tend to leave on their blinkers for considerable distances sometimes. On almost every group ride I've been on, somebody leaves their "blinky" on. I even bet they do that out in alfalfa sprout chewing CA.

Inadvertent Blinkys on: Dangerous for the riders AND embarassing to boot...

Yeah, this 'self canceling' turn signal stuff is a crock o'shit. I've been saying that ever since I saw my first '52 Chevy with turn signals. WTF. Who needs this shit. Just roll down the window and hang your sorry assed arm out and give the "right" or "left" signal and STFU, eh!

Matter o'fact, Ernie, forget the wholeshebang ... just delete the stupid signals alltewgetha and use arm and hand signals. I gotta few hand signals for some o'yew folks. :yahoo:

Jeeze, it's such a BIG deal to build a self canceling signal system. Harley's had 'em for (gulp!) decades! Ditto Honda. Yeah, yeah, yeah .... us'ns that want some safety and some convenience are degraded and stupid. Screw off. Why not go back to bias nylon tires, carburetors and drum brakes..... and forget them turn signals, let alone 'self canceling' deals. ... hell forget ALL the damn lights altogether. Who needs lights?

"I like my FJR the way it is, the rest o'youz guys are idiots". Well, that's about as stupid as the Rat Shack tape deal. I wonder why the After Market exists? "You guys whining about this and that .... waaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaah .... go rub some aloe on yer vaginas, yada, yada". That's real constructive. Did it take you 6 years to graduate from junior college, Bubba? :blink:

Hey, Dick... here's a site that may have some LEDs that will hook up to the FJRs mirrors. I have 'em on my WING (yeah, I'm not a real motorcyclist, I ride a land yacht). Or you may be able to hook up some Rat Shack LEDs as well. They won't self cancel, but at least you'll see 'em when you look at the mirrors. Self canceling devices can be had, however. But, you'll have to seach other bike sites other than THIS one.

Hope this helps.... sorry, the photog will prolly not load. You may have to visit the site on your own.

https://www.vpaccessories.com/18mirlte.JPG There are actually just LEDs on the vertical. They don't wrap around the mirror. Wiring should be straight forward. And, cagers behind you can see 'em as well. Kewl!

Cheers ......... BAGGER