Turn signal cancellation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perhaps you can get high intensity LED's and replace the stock indicators. just brighter.

im still laughing reading this thread -- but i put the aloe on my vagina (as recommended), and the wires on my balls (also recommended) are way too shocking now. I don't recommend doing both.

seriously, It may also be possible to change the mirrors to one of those car type mirrors with the lighted arrow embedded in the mirror. That may be cleaner, and do what you are trying to do.

Self canceling devices can be had, however. But, you'll have to seach other bike sites other than THIS one.
Um, in case you missed it, I posted a link to self cancelling signals halfway down page 1 of this thread.
No, Groo....

I din't miss your post. But, I think Yamaha did. At least the bastads could offer an 'option'. Those that want the signals to cancel ... and have the factory modification available to allow for the 3 times listed in your link. Or, just remove the signals alltewgether and see what happens. Oh, and remove the brake light as well. Brake lights are for pussies and girly-riders. :huh:

Why a $12K+ plus world wide distribution bike would land on the shores of the USA without self canceling signals is a wonder to me. I suppose George Bush has something to do with this .... yep, I'm sure.

BAGGER

I have dealt with the weak dash mounted green blinkie by routinely mashin the cancel button after every turn. Whether I blinked or not, the light will be out. Trained myself to do that AND shoulder check before every lane change. Operating a motorcyle isn't that difficult but the consequences of not knowing how are.

I always push to cancel the signal after every corner now out of habit whether I signaled or not. Problem solved.

Actually since I took the fairing off my FJR, I don't even have turn signals. Problem really solved!

Ressurecting this thread from the dead:

I find that I mash the cancel button, continuously, impulsively. Almost every intersection I come to I mash. That frikken left thumb is sore after a long ride from continuous mashing. Now I'm not mad at Mamma Yamma. And I have an '05 so the green light is bright enough, but I still find occasionally I have left that sucker blinkin' and there is no way in HELL I want to give any cager even the faintest of false information about my intentions so they feel they can run my ass over.

Back in the day, when I was still working on reducing my hearing (successfully I might add) I had wired a RadioShack piezo beeper into the turn signal indicator circuit on my '75 Suzuki GT550. Worked like a champ. But I never wore earplugs then and the word iPod didn't exist.

I think having a clear visual indicator to the driver that the f**cked up and left the turn signal on is fine. Obviously the OPs ratty install was rude & crude, but a more elegant implementation would be a good idea in my books.

I find that I mash the cancel button, continuously, impulsively. Almost every intersection I come to I mash.
I am also a habitual masher. Works for me. But, I'm only saying that as an excuse to interrupt the thread with... ;)

Back in the day, when I was still working on reducing my hearing (successfully I might add) I had wired a RadioShack piezo beeper into the turn signal indicator circuit on my '75 Suzuki GT550. Worked like a champ. But I never wore earplugs then and the word iPod didn't exist.
I had a '75 GT750... The "water buffalo" or "kettle". Damn, those were sweet bikes. ;)

Carry on... (btw... I can't believe this thread is still alive.)

--smthng

Carry on... (btw... I can't believe this thread is still alive.)

..... alive for at least another little while.

I put on a Kisan Turn Signal unit on my last bike - and found myself checking the dash mounted blinkers even more than I used to prior to the install - bacause I became a little paranoid about the cancelling ocurring before I was ready for it to ocurr. After a while I took it off and preferred that. Now I'm a self confessed 'masher'.

I've seen other folks mount an under the seat vibrating unit linked to the blinker circuits (no honest!) that sort of does the same job as the visual indicator or the beeper (but from another angle, so to speak).

Dick - be safe! - great farkle - just needs alittle tidying up, that's all.

I've seen other folks mount an under the seat vibrating unit linked to the blinker circuits (no honest!) that sort of does the same job as the visual indicator or the beeper (but from another angle, so to speak).

HHHmmmmmmm, This may lead SOME people to leave the blinker on for extented periods of time, which is actually just the opposite of the intended push behind this thread. I think forgeting your blinker once in a while maybe SAFER than having an orgasim on the bike. I can see a new line of saddles in our future!!!!!! :blink: :rolleyes:

After being on this board for a while, I wasn't surprised by the unjustified beating the OP took for a very real problem (no wonder many folks are afraid to post)... but it mostly came from the same people I expected. Glad to see many came to his defense. And yes, it's a REAL problem, especially if you happen to have other bikes (or used to own them) with self-cancelling signals. And most of those 'other' bikes are either Harleys or BMWs, which have different switch gear, making it harder to get used to cancel. And yes again, we'll eventually learn to avoid letting the signals on one way or another, but one of those 'harmless' episodes could be the one that ends our lives. A non-riding driver who wants to turn left and sees a left signal 'ON' on a lonely oncoming motorcycle WILL be a problem more times than not, even if you're a cautious rider.

Now to a solution that hasn't been mentioned. Yes, there's something Yamaha can do folks. COPY HARLEY! At least on the '00 Harley Deuce I rented in Maui some years back, by hitting the turn signal ONCE, it'd work just like on our FJR. But if hit TWICE in succession, the self-cancelling feature kicked in; best of both worlds IMO.

The reason none of us seem to like self-cancelling signals is because no algorithm is perfect for us. But if we had the choice to deactivate it (I'd make self-cancelling the default, with a double 'click' to deactivate it), we'd only deactivate it the few instances where we know it doesn't work for us. Problem mostly solved (you still have to cancel them those few times).

And finally (going back to reality), IT'S IMPERATIVE we have a solution to avoid leaving the signals on ANY WAY possible, even if it means an ugly a$$ one like Dick's; our lives depend on it IMO. It's much more important to stay alive than to have a pretty bike. Besides, to me, most bikes with all that crap tacked on (MP3, GPS, RD, etc) look just as ugly (and make riding more dangerous IMO), but as few said already, it's your freaking bike, so do as you please. But at least being ugly in the name of safety is much more justified IMO. Later.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
After being on this board for a while, I wasn't surprised by the unjustified beating the OP took for a very real problem (no wonder many folks are afraid to post)... but it mostly came from the same people I expected. Glad to see many came to his defense. And yes, it's a REAL problem, especially if you happen to have other bikes (or used to own them) with self-cancelling signals. And most of those 'other' bikes are either Harleys or BMWs, which have different switch gear, making it harder to get used to cancel. And yes again, we'll eventually learn to avoid letting the signals on one way or another, but one of those 'harmless' episodes could be the one that ends our lives. A non-riding driver who wants to turn left and sees a left signal 'ON' on a lonely oncoming motorcycle WILL be a problem more times than not, even if you're a cautious rider.
Oh, brother.

Can I get a Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah?

Friday. How long till Friday? Too damned long.

...IT'S IMPERATIVE we have a solution to avoid leaving the signals on ANY WAY possible...
Perhaps one could devise a farkle to harness the energy from a teapot lid to either hit the offending turn signal...or the unaware rider in the back of the head. A well-built tempest has quite a lot of energy and could address this scourge of an issue.

1tempest_200311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And finally (going back to reality), IT'S IMPERATIVE we have a solution to avoid leaving the signals on ANY WAY possible
I'm guessing the reason this thread got so ugly so quickly is that the "solution to avoid leaving the signals on" is very simply to

[SIZE=36pt]PAY[/SIZE]ATTENTION!
This is NOT a difficult concept. For god's sake, man... you're riding a motorcycle! What the hell else can you be doing that you can't pay attention to what you're doing? Talking on the cell while drinking a slurpy and watching What Not To Wear on your iPod?

Now to a solution that hasn't been mentioned. Yes, there's something Yamaha can do folks. COPY HARLEY! At least on the '00 Harley Deuce I rented in Maui some years back, by hitting the turn signal ONCE, it'd work just like on our FJR. But if hit TWICE in succession, the self-cancelling feature kicked in; best of both worlds IMO.

The reason none of us seem to like self-cancelling signals is because no algorithm is perfect for us. But if we had the choice to deactivate it (I'd make self-cancelling the default, with a double 'click' to deactivate it), we'd only deactivate it the few instances where we know it doesn't work for us. Problem mostly solved (you still have to cancel them those few times).

And finally (going back to reality), IT'S IMPERATIVE we have a solution to avoid leaving the signals on ANY WAY possible, even if it means an ugly a$$ one like Dick's; our lives depend on it IMO. It's much more important to stay alive than to have a pretty bike. Besides, to me, most bikes with all that crap tacked on (MP3, GPS, RD, etc) look just as ugly (and make riding more dangerous IMO), but as few said already, it's your freaking bike, so do as you please. But at least being ugly in the name of safety is much more justified IMO. Later.

JC
Dickf,

I agree with you that this is poor judgment by Yamaha since it is well known that most fatal bike accidents are caused by left turning cages. I had an '88 YAMAHA Venture Royale that had self canceling signals and they work perfectly even today. I knew how long they would operate and could easily tap the lever again if I thought they would shut off before I made it thru the intersection. I think ELP_JC's comments are right on.

I'd like to be half as smart and alert as all these "expert" riders who never leave their signal on. I leave mine on occasionally, especially when the sun washes out my view of the indicators, and I have an '05! I don't recall a ride with others when one or several riders didn't fail to cancel the signal, and I've been riding for a long time.

Hmm, I wonder if the dogpile has to do with the fact that this has been discussed in detail at least a couple of times before.

By the way, I have a Kisan Signal Minder that I need to install. It looks like more than a minor procedure and the Instructions sound like its operation isn't as seamless as a factory install.

Sorry about the dogpile. However, I'll withhold comment on the farkle. :rolleyes:

I agree with you that this is poor judgment by Yamaha since it is well known that most fatal bike accidents are caused by left turning cages.
Sorry Charlie, your facts are a wee bit off. While I'm sure the left turning cage issue is somewhat common, it's NOT the "most" common cause of fatal bike accidents. The Hurt report and several others have all clearly shown that most fatal motorcycle accidents are caused by the rider going off the road and that other vehicles aren't involved. While the rest of your post may make perfect sense, that first bit is a common erroneous belief.

While I wish the turn signal indicator lights were bigger on the FJR, anytime I see that I have left one on, I DO NOT THINK

"Damn you Yamaha!"

I DO THINK

"You Dumb Ass, Get Your Head Out of Your Rectum, and PAY ATTENTION!"