URGENT FJR opinion needed!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugar-6

Reaction score
So, I've been looking at the FJR, Multistrada, and Triumph Tiger 1050 for a few months now. I'm still slightly considering a full on sportsbike but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf with sport touring. Anyway, I'm going to look at an '06 tomorrow with 6100 miles on it, large Yamaha Trunk, nylon internal carriers, and cover for $7,500. Seems like a good deal from what I researched. Thoughts? Is there anything I should know about the FJR in particular. I've heard the first generation, 03-05 will scald your thighs but that the Gen II bikes are much better and cooler. Is this correct? I've also heard that the suspension is soft for sportbike riders. Too soft? As long as it's tolerable, not to big of a problem. I can upgrade to a Penske rear and Traxxion internals later. Finally, I've heard the low speed handling can be cumbersome. I don't believe I've heard anything about bad fuelling or brakes. Just looking for any insight on this deal or the bike. Thanks, and hopefully joining the masses of FJR owners REAL soon!!!

an urgent request - I'm all over that !!!

I have an '04 and from what you describe that's a quality bike (better than mine due to heat management that started in '06 and std ABS brakes)

at a good price.

OK. You're right on the heat issues; the 2nd gen bikes '06 and newer seem to have better suspension / handling, imo, due to minor aft geometry changes.

My '04 has 51000 miles, has always worked and been fun. It's a good bike.

I have an 06, and no matter what others tell you here, it is the prettiest color the bike ever came in.

The price sounds good to me, buy it before someone else does.

KM

I know this may sound like a cliche, but the FJR is a sport touring bike with an emphasis on tour. Take a hard look at the type of sport touring you intend to do. Your profile doesn't indicate where you're located, but I personally think a Tiger could be a lot of fun in the right part of the country. I primarily ride my FJR as a long-distance machine. There are times when I just knock around in the mountains or curves I think something lighter and more nimble would be a bit more fun.

With all that said, the FJR is one hell of a road-burner. It will take you across country in two days or (with a some suspenion work) can rail in the mountains. If you don't ride with CBRs and GSX-Rs, you might never know the difference. And it will do it all on very little maintenance; the Tiger will require twice the valve checks. Tires will be your biggest expense.

I love mine. I also wish a Tiger was in the garage for those really twisty pieces of pavement. Notice I haven't mentioned the Ducati?

I did a lot of research and am picking up my 07 tomorrow. But I do think the blue one is the best looking.

For $7500 with 6100 miles on it. No damage it is a steal. If I didn't already have one, I would be all over it. Go for it

If you are considering a sport bike, My 2006 ZX14 is for sale and is considered a Super sport tourer. :) A very comfy bike for me. My wife has weak knees so I need to sell. It's only $7300 with only 11K miles.

My 2006 ZX14 is for sale and is considered a Super sport tourer.
No it isn't. The ONLY 'Supersport Tourer' is the FJR. I thnk they may have even trademarked the term.

Kawasaki calls the C14 the 'Transcontinental Supersport'.

The ZX14 is 'just' a Ninja with a big motor.

So, I've been looking at the FJR, Multistrada, and Triumph Tiger 1050 for a few months now. I'm still slightly considering a full on sportsbike but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf with sport touring. Anyway, I'm going to look at an '06 tomorrow with 6100 miles on it, large Yamaha Trunk, nylon internal carriers, and cover for $7,500. Seems like a good deal from what I researched. Thoughts? Is there anything I should know about the FJR in particular. I've heard the first generation, 03-05 will scald your thighs but that the Gen II bikes are much better and cooler. Is this correct? I've also heard that the suspension is soft for sportbike riders. Too soft? As long as it's tolerable, not to big of a problem. I can upgrade to a Penske rear and Traxxion internals later. Finally, I've heard the low speed handling can be cumbersome. I don't believe I've heard anything about bad fuelling or brakes. Just looking for any insight on this deal or the bike. Thanks, and hopefully joining the masses of FJR owners REAL soon!!!
Yeah...get a radar detector! <G>

My 05 was a bit warm when I rode it across the mohave..but it was 115F out.

It's not a true sportsbike... it can carry luggage, and your not bent over the tank....but who cares...! <BFAG>

mary

Ps.., I'd love a Sprint, the FJR is a bit big for me. The Tiger is way too tall.....sigh....but it is about 200 lbs lighter than the FJR!

My 2006 ZX14 is for sale and is considered a Super sport tourer.
No it isn't. The ONLY 'Supersport Tourer' is the FJR. I thnk they may have even trademarked the term.

Kawasaki calls the C14 the 'Transcontinental Supersport'.

The ZX14 is 'just' a Ninja with a big motor.
The ZX14 is considered a Sport Bike/sport tourer before the birth of the Concource. Sorry Follow the links:

https://www.thestar.com/printArticle/119077

https://www.zx14.net/documents/ZX-14%20Review.pdf

https://www.amadirectlink.com/riding/review...6/ZX14/ZX14.asp

"Kawasaki set some other goals, too. The bike had to be a torque monster. It had to have a supremely smooth engine. And a comfortable riding position, so the ZX-14 can be a long-haul sport-tourer, as well as a drag-strip rocket."

Last edited by a moderator:
The ZX14 is considered a Sport Bike/sport tourer before the birth of the Concource.
Argh

I hate the twisting of words for poor [the actual words in my head are a little stronger] reasons. And - let's get this straight. First I presume you mean the Kawasaki Concours? The Concours pre-dates the ZX-14 by decades.

The ZX-14 is NOT a sport-tour bike. The original '86 Concours (ZG1000) was based on the Ninja 1000 of the time. Ninja=sport bike, Concours = sport-tour; Goldwing, Aspencade, Voyager, etc = Tour bike. Simple

The use of "sport-tour" for bikes other than the 3/4 faired Concours, ST1x00, BMW RT/KT 1000cc+, etc bikes was the marketing silliness of trying to split hairs on sport bike/hyper-sport (street legal race bikes), or for European types with roads/gov'ts not condusive to larger vehicles. As a conformity-challenged type, I refuse the redefintion of the term unless it aids in clarity and understanding.

There are various levels of Sport bikes. A sport-tour was roughly defined as 1/2 way between sport bike and tour bike. A sport bike was contrasted with the UJM/standard/cruiser type bike. A sport -tour would typically be a bike with hard luggage (usually removable), and a fairing somewhere around 1/2 way between a sport bike and a Goldwing. Further, as anything with the word tour in the name means ability to cover large distances, personally I figure anything with a chain (vs shaft drive) doesn't qualify [but I understand the Triumph may otherwise qualify, so may the exception prove the rule?). Then again, it's not like I don't have a strong opinion on this ;^)

Within Sport-Tour, there are those bikes with strengths more in one direction than another. Is a ZX-14 somewhere near half-way between a sport-bike (even an R1/MV Augusta/etc) and a GoldWing? of course not. Even when compared to the most hyper of street legal sport bikes, the ZX-14 is going to be much closer to them than a Goldwing - by a lot. So, the ZX-14 is a sport bike, with capabilities for riding more than 30 minutes at a stint [making it a reasonable street bike]. What are today typically called Sport bikes, really are hyper-sport or race bikes [but the industry doesn't like to call it that for insurance and other reasons].

However, back to the original posters question. The real issue as alluded to, is what style riding is desired. If you want to race on the street/mountains (foolish thing to do, but I digress), then a much lighter bike than a FJR would help. If you are looking for a bike that can be ridden for hours relatively comfortably including with pillion, scrape pegs in the moutains if desired, can easily handle multi-day trips, etc - then sport tour it is. Then questions of budget, how much maintenance you are willing to do yourself, vs pay others to do vs is rquired in the first place, the cost of maint, one's priorities on form vs function, etc all come into play. Fortunately, there are many bikes to fit many different needs.

ugar-6

- Gen I vs Gen II heat - depends on where you live and how much riding you do, and what you wear when you do, as to whether this will be an issue for you.

- more info on your riding style, preferences, desired capabilities in a bike, etc will help in advising on what is a better match for you.

I ride a sport tour as I commute 50+miles daily, and occassionally I ride as I did recently in my Lap Of California, an 8-day, 3100+ mile trip (would have been more miles or shorter length except mets non-riding friends along the way). I want a bike that, in my early 40s, I can ride for 500+miles/12 hours in 1 day, and repeat again and again as desired. I can do this 2-up if desired. I live in San Diego, CA. There are some nice mtn roads not too far away, but the really good one are hundreds of miles away. When riding to such destinations, I only want to have to stop when its time to refuel. I won't tolerate a bike that I have to get off, stretch, rest my wrists, etc every hour or two. So that is my riding style, and why I ride what I do.

Which bike is right for you depends on your situation.

Stay away from the Multistrada....unless you wanna buy mine!!! :grin:

I'm a current Multi owner and I plan on getting something new to replace it, as it costs too much to maintain, and it's known for bad valve guides....which mine does have and is being fixed.

I did a lot of research and am picking up my 07 tomorrow. But I do think the blue one is the best looking.
So research must have proven out that the '07 is the prettiest otherwise you are either ignoring the facts or you truely realize that the black cherry is the best looking color. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :victory:

When you say 'nylon internal carriers' are you referring to the bag liners for the saddle bags?

Oh, FWIW, the '05 is the fastest, most comfortable, best looking, and etc. B)

The ZX14 is considered a Sport Bike/sport tourer before the birth of the Concource.
Argh

I hate the twisting of words for poor [the actual words in my head are a little stronger] reasons. And - let's get this straight. First I presume you mean the Kawasaki Concours? The Concours pre-dates the ZX-14 by decades.

The ZX-14 is NOT a sport-tour bike. The original '86 Concours (ZG1000) was based on the Ninja 1000 of the time. Ninja=sport bike, Concours = sport-tour; Goldwing, Aspencade, Voyager, etc = Tour bike. Simple

The use of "sport-tour" for bikes other than the 3/4 faired Concours, ST1x00, BMW RT/KT 1000cc+, etc bikes was the marketing silliness of trying to split hairs on sport bike/hyper-sport (street legal race bikes), or for European types with roads/gov'ts not condusive to larger vehicles. As a conformity-challenged type, I refuse the redefintion of the term unless it aids in clarity and understanding.
Absolutely correct . . . I see that up here in Quebec every day where a Concours 14 is plated as a 'regular' bike and a ZX14 is charged as a 'high risk' sport bike - to the tune of some $520 extra per year (which will rise to a DIFFERENCE of almost $2,000 per year in a couple of years). Same difference between the BMW K1200GT and K1200S; If it has bags, a center stand and a fairing with a 'significant' windshield it could have a thousand horses, but it would be charged the same as a 500cc cruiser.

However Kawasaki did promote the machine IN EUROPE as a sport tourer by offering an optional center stand and attachment points for soft bags in that market . . . if they sold configured that way in any significant numbers I'd be amazed.

But there's marketing. And there's reality.

Unless I was about 5'6" or shorter I wouldn't consider touring on a ZX-14 unless I was a masochist, the bike doesn'lt fit the mould.

And that is why they tooled up to make a real S-T machine to replace the aging Concours - I'd owned an '03.

Last edited by a moderator:
So research must have proven out that the '07 is the prettiest otherwise you are either ignoring the facts or you truely realize that the black cherry is the best looking color. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :victory:
Learn the colors guys! The '07 is Cerulean Silver! Plus it has a Formula 1 style semi-automatic gearbox.