Wabs, an Itty-Bitty-SixFiddy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5077.jpg

"Wee" wanna go to Alaska too!!

The funny thing is I was the last person to ride both bikes before they had problems.....

I was also the one who rode Jane's Beemer at the lunch stop in Santa Maria it didn't start for 45 minutes after that.....

R

I remember I bought my Wee just a month of two before Tim. There was a note then for Alaska in 08. I may be in next year with my 07 Wee. Good to hear that Wabs got a good home. Mike in Fremont, Ca.

"Wee" wanna go to Alaska too!!
Weird, I know *exactly* where that pic was taken! :D

I'm in too... no, wait, I don't own a WeeStrom. No wait, if were going to Alaska, I'll buy one!
Can you guess where these were taken?

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg
Ok, you have me...

My first thought was Stonehenge. Then again, no, he's back East in the USA somewhere, which, for me, may as well be Stonehenge. It's all the same, really? LOL.

OK, so give it up, where were these foto's taken?

I soo need to travel to far away places..

My Wanderlust is fucking RAGING right now, out of Control.

I've not really seen the Eastern USA -

[SIZE=8pt]soo many commets to place here.. but not now..[/SIZE]

.. but I think these pix are really of?

I don't know..

The funny thing is I was the last person to ride both bikes before they had problems.....I was also the one who rode Jane's Beemer at the lunch stop in Santa Maria it didn't start for 45 minutes after that.....

R
Richard, did you date my last ex just before I met her?
BHAHAHAHA! Fairlaner must've dated mine too! That manWhore!

OK, I'm double posting on the FJR Forum about a WeeStrom named WABS.

Iggie, if I'm breaking the rules let me know and I'll move on to AdvRider or another forum.. but the FJR forum is my home base, so I hope I can stay here..

..it should be a good ride.. :rolleyes: [SIZE=8pt](if you allow me to stay here)[/SIZE]

Wabs has an electrical problem. 12.1 max charging volts at 5,000 rpm.

Ok, that's regulated voltage.

Checked the stator unloaded ACV, it's in spec, so the stator is within spec.

The regulated voltage? Not so good - 12.1 max.

So off comes the seat, tank, (PITA, by the way, the FJR is much easier)..

and still can't see the Regulator/Rectifier..

...so out comes the air box.. (what a PITA, CA sucks with all the emissions controls)..

and finally, the regulator is mine.

Open up the FSM, and try to understand the chart..

All I can say is, the Yamaha technical writers have a MUCH better understanding of the Anglish languichi than do the Suzookie writers..

...to be continued.

Wabs has 2 SparkPlugs per cylinder!

Today, I discovered that Wabs has not one, but two,

sparking plugs per cylinder!

I need Ionbeam or Jestal to explain why an Itty-Biitty-6-Fixdy \ 2 cylinders nees an extra plug..

Performance?

Gas Mileage?

Sorry for the poor foto -but look closely and you'll see the two NGK CR28E plugs.

2plugjug.jpg

From Suzuki's website:

SV650-based 645cc 90 degree V-twin, DOHC 8-valve, liquid-cooled engine with dual-spark plug heads for improved combustion and reduced emissions

You're welcome. Now don't say I never gave you anything..! :blum:

I need Ionbeam or Jestal to explain why an Itty-Biitty-6-Fixdy \ 2 cylinders nees an extra plug..

Performance?

Gas Mileage?

Sorry for the poor foto -but look closely and you'll see the two NGK CR28E plugs.
Hey there dcarver,

As SockMonkey said, it's got 2 for better combustion (efficiency) and emissions. This is actually one of the changes for the "gen III" V-Strom (2007 onwards; pre-2007 they only have 1 spark plug per cylinder).

If you looked at your bike and mine, apart from a bunch of scratches, a different paint job and some nice Givi's, you'd also notice that the kill switch is larger, the hazard switch is moved around and is not a rocker button, your wheel base is slightly larger, yours has a rubber boot protector on the swingarm pivot and your lights turn off when you start the bike (mine stay on). The bikes are pretty much the same otherwise. Oh, and ABS is only optional on the 2007 models onwards.

Tenchi

Last edited by a moderator:

Performance?

Gas Mileage?

Hey there dcarver,

As SockMonkey said, it's got 2 for better combustion (efficiency) and emissions. This is actually one of the changes for the "gen III" V-Strom (2007 onwards; pre-2007 they only have 1 spark plug per cylinder).

If you looked at your bike and mine, apart from a bunch of scratches, a different paint job and some nice Givi's, you'd also notice that the kill switch is larger, the hazard switch is moved around and is not a rocker button, your wheel base is slightly larger, yours has a rubber boot protector on the swingarm pivot and your lights turn off when you start the bike (mine stay on). The bikes are pretty much the same otherwise. Oh, and ABS is only optional on the 2007 models onwards.

Tenchi
Hi Tenchi,

Wabs is a 2006 model and I noticed tonight that the headlights are on with the key on before the engine is running. Maybe Suzuki offered ABS in the late 2006 model year or something?

Regarding the scratches? Give me some time, I'll soon catch up to you! :rolleyes:

[SIZE=12pt]Wabs Electrical Gremlins, continued[/SIZE]

Over on a Vstrom forum, a nice fellow posted up a very handy schematic and write up of the DL650 charging system:

rect_reg_001.jpg

I used his schematic and instructions, and also the FSM, and discovered the stock RR is in spec. By then I had already ordered a RR from Electrosport, and it arrived tonight.

I took readings of the two, side by side, and started to get that sick 'I just spent good money on parts not needed' feeling.

Installed the new Electrosport, hoping against hope to see a solid 15.5 at 5k rpm but it was not to be. Output is higher, the ES regulator read 13.2, 13.3, the stock could RR could only muster 12.1.

With the bike alternately idling and at 5k rpm, the fuel pump 10 amp fuse blew again, this is the 3rd time now.

I'm thinking that the fuel pump may be going bad and drawing excessive current, thus loading down the charging system?

2x the fuel pump fuse has blown while in my driveway, onetime on the road. I've checked the wiring going to pump and all looks good e.g. no abrasions, exposed wire or connectors, etc. I'll check more carefully tomorrow when I'm back in daylight.

Oh, the Electrosport male connector, stator side, left alot to be desired. Upon initial inspection, one of the male spades wasn't fully inserted into the connector; I could pull the spade out of the connector using no tools. The 'tang' keeping the spade locked into the plastic connector wasn't out far enough,so I gently bent it and inserted.

The next issue is the blade spacing is off slightly, and the connector did not want to plug easily into the female. I gently bent the spades until the spacing closely matched the OEM unit and got the two to mate. Of course, when I did this, the same initial wire popped out, free from the connector.

I'll be calling Electrosport in the morning.

...to be continued

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is I found an extended warranty plan that TWN apparently bought new with the bike. I called up the selling dealer, Cal Coast Motorsports, Ventura, and they said 'bring the bike in, we'll fix it'.

I'm going to call again today to make sure the warranty is really still in effect and if so, take a southern run and deliver one sick Wabs to them.. :yahoo:

I'm going to call again today to make sure the warranty is really still in effect and if so, take a southern run and deliver one sick Wabs to them.. :yahoo:
Take along extra fuses.

I'm sure glad you like working on bikes....

when are you gonna take it down there Don?
R
Looking like this Saturday, Fairlaner. They open at 0900, so if I leave at 0600...

Take along extra fuses.

I'm sure glad you like working on bikes....
Ummm, aren't you the fellah whose had the front panels removed from his FJR for about, oh, 12 months now? :rolleyes:

Actually Toe, Wabs will be in the back of a trailer or truck. I don't want to put all the pieces back on just to ride it there...

PiecesnParts.jpg

2ndryValves1.jpg