Wabs, an Itty-Bitty-SixFiddy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure was. Easiest way to tell whether it's the DL650 or DL1000? Look at the exhausts. DL650 has one exhaust, right side with a protective cover. DL1000 has two exhausts, both sides, no covers.

Love the ride report too :) If you can convince my boss to give me that much time off...

Yes, going to be a problem for me too. I get plenty of vacation time, the hard part is taking it. Actually thinking about riding part of the way up, storing the bike somewhere for a couple of weeks, then flying back and finishing the ride. May even have to fly home again after the Alaska leg.

Need to go ride a 650 and an 1100 to see which one I like. How did you decide to settle on the 650? I see much research in my future!!!

Yes, going to be a problem for me too. I get plenty of vacation time, the hard part is taking it. Actually thinking about riding part of the way up, storing the bike somewhere for a couple of weeks, then flying back and finishing the ride. May even have to fly home again after the Alaska leg.
Need to go ride a 650 and an 1100 to see which one I like. How did you decide to settle on the 650? I see much research in my future!!!
There is no 1100, just the 1000. I jumped on both, didn't test ride either but did my research and had my expectations. The 1000 has a wide ratio 5 speed, the 650 a closer set 6 speed. The 1000 is great around town as it has bucketloads of torque and can basically cruise around in one gear for the most part, but has a higher center of gravity which makes low speed manuvers a little harder. The 650 has less (than bucketloads but still a lot) torque and as such needs better gear management; I don't mind this since I was upgrading from a 250, but not everyone shares my joy for that. It also has a lower center of gravity and is marginally lighter, which makes it a lot easier to handle than the 1000 at a standstill.

The biggest factor that led me to the 650 instead of the 1000 was the price point. I picked up my DL650 for $3200, with everything fitted (crash cage, center stand, hand guards, now defunct heated grips as aftermarket mods). These come standard on the DL1000 (minus the heated grips), so it's something to keep in mind if you're getting a DL650. The new DL1000 K8 will cost you $9k. The new DL650 will cost you $7k, but you'll need to buy a center stand ($165), hand guards ($50), bash plate ($200) and put in maybe two hours wrench time to put it on par with the DL1000. In addition to that, I recommend the engine guards ($154) and heated grips for either model - crash cage being one of the few mods on an automobile you can almost guarantee will get you $1:$1 if you sell it. A Strom without one is rarer than rockinghorse shit. As I was planning to make this an "upgrade" bike before I move on to a more final choice, I didn't want to invest a lot of money into this bike. The other thing is that as I was upgrading from a 250, the ability to handle the bike was something I kept in mind - for the experienced, the 1000 is probably no trouble at all, but for the young and overreaching like myself I chose something meek and easy that would keep me out of trouble. It's worked for the most part...

Besides the displacement and extras, there's not a lot of difference between the two bikes. The only thing I can really add is that the DL1000 is slightly taller (33.1" seat height instead of 32.5"), slightly heavier (525 lbs vs 478 lbs ), and that if you are above 250 lbs the DL650 will most likely be too slow for you. The previous owner of my bike upgraded from the DL650 to the DL1000 for that reason (he was pushing 300 lbs and extra displacement is easier to achieve than dropping 100 lbs).

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no 1100, just the 1000. I jumped on both, didn't test ride either but did my research and had my expectations. The 1000 has a wide ratio 5 speed, the 650 a closer set 6 speed. The 1000 is great around town as it has bucketloads of torque and can basically cruise around in one gear for the most part, but has a higher center of gravity which makes low speed manuvers a little harder. The 650 has less (than bucketloads but still a lot) torque and as such needs better gear management; I don't mind this since I was upgrading from a 250, but not everyone shares my joy for that. It also has a lower center of gravity and is marginally lighter, which makes it a lot easier to handle than the 1000 at a standstill.

The biggest factor that led me to the 650 instead of the 1000 was the price point. I picked up my DL650 for $3200, with everything fitted (crash cage, center stand, hand guards, now defunct heated grips as aftermarket mods). These come standard on the DL1000 (minus the heated grips), so it's something to keep in mind if you're getting a DL650. The new DL1000 K8 will cost you $9k. The new DL650 will cost you $7k, but you'll need to buy a center stand ($165), hand guards ($50), bash plate ($200) and put in maybe two hours wrench time to put it on par with the DL1000. In addition to that, I recommend the engine guards ($154) and heated grips for either model - crash cage being one of the few mods on an automobile you can almost guarantee will get you $1:$1 if you sell it. A Strom without one is rarer than rockinghorse shit. As I was planning to make this an "upgrade" bike before I move on to a more final choice, I didn't want to invest a lot of money into this bike. The other thing is that as I was upgrading from a 250, the ability to handle the bike was something I kept in mind - for the experienced, the 1000 is probably no trouble at all, but for the young and overreaching like myself I chose something meek and easy that would keep me out of trouble. It's worked for the most part...

Besides the displacement and extras, there's not a lot of difference between the two bikes. The only thing I can really add is that the DL1000 is slightly taller (33.1" seat height instead of 32.5"), slightly heavier (525 lbs vs 478 lbs ), and that if you are above 250 lbs the DL650 will most likely be too slow for you. The previous owner of my bike upgraded from the DL650 to the DL1000 for that reason (he was pushing 300 lbs and extra displacement is easier to achieve than dropping 100 lbs).
Tenchi, thanks for the info, it helps a lot. Price is a major factor, also looked at the BMW GS series, but too much money for my blood. Your analysis lends me to think I would prefer the 1000 over the 650. I'm 53 years old, 6-2 so seat height isn't an issue, but those 225 pounds could be! And you're right, it's easier to buy HP and torque than to loose weight! Thanks for the reply.

Have you heard anything about Honda's Varadero?

Tenchi, thanks for the info, it helps a lot. Price is a major factor, also looked at the BMW GS series, but too much money for my blood. Your analysis lends me to think I would prefer the 1000 over the 650. I'm 53 years old, 6-2 so seat height isn't an issue, but those 225 pounds could be! And you're right, it's easier to buy HP and torque than to loose weight! Thanks for the reply.
I'm slightly shorter, 6'0" with a 32.5" inseam (so I barely flat-foot on both sides), and now I weigh below 200 lbs. Even so, I still feel that the bike leaves me wanting more power and torque (it's a little hard to wheelie, for starters :p ). Then again, it's for that exact reason that I got the bike - keep me out of trouble :) .

I haven't heard much about the Varadero because I wasn't originally looking into the 1000 Strom - it came down to the FZ6 or the 650 Strom, and the Strom just happened to be the right price. Buddies say that it's a contender for the DL1000, and ride reports give it good reviews, but overall I've never seen one in person here.

EDIT: Just verified the DL1000 is actually a 6 speed, not a 5 speed.

Geez, I've been missing some drama here lately, should'a tuned in more...... :unsure:
My Strom will run all day with both Hella's running, at 12.7 / 12.6 at around 70MPH, so something is AFU I'm afraid. ( NON ABS version 2006 ). It usually runs 14.6 without accessories on. I can get you the exact #'s on Friday if you want. My Datel is hot wired straight to the battery.

To FJRb0, the wee does fine on the plains, It'll cruise 80 all day long. I just put over 8000 miles on a AK trip.

Alaska linky
Highlander, thanks, I did read your posts and loved the ride report. Yours was a 650? I forwarded that link to a friend and got his blood boiling. How do you think the FJR would do on Alaskan and Canadian roads?
Major roads are paved, the FJR will do fine up there on normal roads.

Datel update :

14.7 with a full charged battery @ 5000rpm

13.8 with 15 minutes of running both Hellas lit up

12.7 lane splitting at 35mph for around 40 minutes on the commute home.

So far only the Canucks get the Varadero, I wish Honda would get off their ass and bring it into the states. I sat on one in Greece a few years back and liked it. If they bring it over here my FJR's in trouble !! :D

[SIZE=12pt]Time Drags On[/SIZE]

At least a week ago, maybe even two now, service manager Shaun calls asking for permission to order a new stator.

$25 deductible Shaun states, I agree to try.

I don't really think this is the problem, as it tested fine on resistance readings phase to phase and phases to ground, and open source voltage are well within spec, but what the hell, for $25 get new stator, can't hurt to try. Perhaps it's breaking down under load.

Time passes, work gets a little rough around the corners, I kind of forget about dear ol' Wabs. I imagine she's sitting in a dark damp shop corner with all her guts in boxes around her and she's wondering if she'll ever make it home again. Poor ol' Wabs.

So I call the Service department.

"May I have service department please? Shaun?"

Of course, comes the nice pleasant reply.

Then I wait. and wait and WAIT.

"**** it", I'll call back later, and hang up.

Two hours pass, call again.

"I'm sorry, Shaun's not here. May I help you?" asked Peter, filling in for Shaun.

"Well, sure" I reply.

The following conversation was very depressing by discovery of what had not been done, and like Arlo

Guthrie explaining the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles

and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one and began I began to cry

when I realized there had been zero, zap, nada progress on the stator, installation, or any other troubleshooting.

Exactly I think, my worst nightmare coming true and I feel the anger welling up, yet attempt to remain calm, cool and collected. Become the cucumber, Toecutter once said. At least I think it was Toe.

"I'll ask Shaun and call you tomorrow", Peter promises.

:whistle: :whistle: Promises, promises.. :whistle: :whistle:

OK, so now 4 shop working days pass and no phone call. Nada, zip, zilch, zero.

In the meantime, Ionbeam has given me some GREAT troubleshooting tips, and I'm starting to realize this dealer may not have the technical expertise available to diagnose more than a level 1 issue.

Sigh.

Time Drags On 

In the meantime, Ionbeam has given me some GREAT troubleshooting tips, and I'm starting to realize this dealer may not have the technical expertise available to diagnose more than a level 1 issue.

Sigh.

I was sincerely hoping to read a wonderful success story. Sorry, Don.
:cray:

So far only the Canucks get the Varadero, I wish Honda would get off their ass and bring it into the states. I sat on one in Greece a few years back and liked it. If they bring it over here my FJR's in trouble !! :D
Well judging by what they're asking for it up here, don't expect Canadian sales figures to warrant its marketing in the States. I was very interested in one until I saw the price. But the thought of VTR engine mated to a 6 speed and woohoo!

Charging systems are generally pretty easy to trouble shoot. If the stator checks good with the meter then it isn't the problem. Wish it were closer, I would check it out no charge. I only charge for what I fix. :D

[SIZE=12pt]New Stator no Workie[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Shaun just called, "new stator installed, output voltage approx the same, 13.2 to 13.7." [/SIZE]

Perhaps a slight voltage increase.

Shaun claims "that per Suzuki specifications' this is adequate charging voltage, and the battery is charged."

"Where did you get that acceptance criteria from" I ask.

"From Suzuki" says Shaun.

"Well, the FSM says 14.5v to 15.5v at 5K rpm and low beams on," I reply, "and thats the range I expect to see. Tell me again where you got your figures?"

"ummmmm".

"By the way Shaun, I've been on 2 different Strom forums, and have posting from about 9 different guys who measured their output at the battery, 5K rpm, low beams on, and they all are getting between 14.2 to 14.7 volts. Run the headlight for 5 minutes, engine off, e.g. drain the battery, and measure output at the battery again it will only 11.9 to 12.1 volts. Give it a try!"

"Well, I could, but I need authorization for another hour worth of diagnostic time" states Shaun.

"What, are you kidding me? One hour to troubleshoot a simple electrical problem should be more than adequate time, especially since the bike was stripped to parade rest by me before delivery. Just tell me straight up, is this problem beyond the technical skill set of your technicians?"

pause. P R E G N A N T pause.

'Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. I've been on the forums, and one great guy, an electronic engineer, has provided some great troubleshooting tips.

1. Measure the voltage at the RR output connector. If good, then voltage drops exist in the cabling. Given the fact this was a beach bike, it might just be a corroded connector somewhere.

2. Check the ground cable connection from battery to frame.

3. Measure the current draw on the fuel pump. If it's at 9 amps or so, that may be a clue.

Check these things, on your dime, and if test results are indicative, then continue on. Otherwise, I'll come and get the bike" sez I, trying to remain a calm cool cucumber.

Shaun replies, "Sure, I can do that, but I'd have to charge you another 95 bucks for 1 hour labor."

"No, I reply, this isn't my first rodeo", you either do it on your dime or I come and get the bike."

"I need to contact my service manager" replies Shaun, "I'll call you back."

WTFO, I thought YOU were the Service Manager. Said so on your shirt, you answered the phone that way..

Sigh.

[SIZE=12pt]A Glimmer of Hope - Fuel Pump may be Bad?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]On the ride home from a *terrible* day at work, the phone rings in my ER6's. [/SIZE]

'Hello'?

"Peter, for Cal Cal Coast, do you have a minute?"

Then the phone drops service. Ride another 35 miles, get home, call back. I'm a hick living in the woods.

Get home, call, Peter states "We think the fuel pump is bad. Measured the DC current draw, it's 3x normal, and noisy.. I had a sales guy prep a brand new DL650 with gas and oil, started it up, and the fuel pp 'sound' is very, very different than on yours'.

Continuing, Peter says "Your pump, makes a low grinding sound while the new bike is a higher frequency, more a hummm than a growl. We've ordered a new fuel pump on warranty repair and will keep call you when we install it."

Woot Woot! Shaun talked to Peter, who talked to Dave, the tech, then Peter had Dave start Wabs and heard the fuel pump. 'Not normal' is what Peter thought, and is why he 'serviced' a new showroom 650 to perform a 'comparison' with.

There may be hope here!

I sincerely hope that someday, in 2010, in Alaska, I have a chance to re-read this post and just smile. :rolleyes:

"No, I reply, this isn't my first rodeo"
THAT IS BRILLIANT!! Mind if I file that one away for future use?
Of course you can. I think I stole it from a Chris LeDoux song...

Carver....yew is a funnie man! Please do me a favor....

...warn me before I ever get your dander up, "k".

Hugs and kisses,

Mike

You know why they don't know how to fix it right? Coz V-Stroms are notorious for not breaking!

[SIZE=8pt]Srsly tho, they need to remove head from sphincter, then attempt fix.[/SIZE]