Warm and Safe Heated gear and the new wireless controllers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I found out through Fairlanier that he was able to trade up his warm and safe heated gear so I thought I would go check it out. LINK I decided to upgrade my v.3 to v.4 to see if it gets any warmer? Nope, but it was more comfortable without the wires running across my back and down my arms. Not sure what they did but it was much more comfortable. While I was there I broke down and got the wife a heated liner and gloves. When it came to the controller I told her she could have mine and I would get the new wireless one?

Dual Remote Control Heat-troller $139

A Whole New Platform Technology - Beyond Xtreme to Version X(i)-Remote!

Replaces the Old Semi-Mount Remote Heat-troller and gives you a lot more for less work!

Yes it comes with the Battery Harness

Size Receiver 2.5 x 1.75 x .5 inch, Control 1.9 x 1.3 inch

3733968f6294213627719608b7bd8961.image.250x236.jpg

Dual Portable Heat-troller Coax $99

This Heat-troller is designed for 1 person to control 2 sections of heated clothing only. Comes with battery harness with covered fuse holder.

product-dpcoax.jpg

Well long story short after I pairing the device to work remotely it only heated at about half the heat of what the wired version heated? I tried the same powerlet as the wired version and even moved to 3 other powerlets for testing over a period of about 3 hours today to make sure I found the culprit. Maybe is was a bad unit? Either way I am not sure if I am ready to take any chances with my warmth when I am far from home. Just thought I would share. As for the jackets, they are really nice and fit well. The gloves run a little large and we are going to need to send a pair back for a smaller set for my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean side by side?

I have had both the gloves and the jacket on together and when on maximum they are toooo hot while standing in garage.

R

I installed my Gen4 liner and gloves with wireless remote yesterday. I am still in the test mode but the liner and gloves seem to work very well. It is not very cold right now. Only 46 today and ride in was nice with some heat. Pretty cool stuff. Can't wait to test it at 30 degrees.

I am trying to figure out if the back is working. I can feel the heat travel from the arms to the shoulders but not down the back.

Only strange thing is and I will email Mike, both lights (red and yellow) blink every 1 minute. Anyone have this happening on the controller?

Just thought I would give my 2 cents since I just hooked it up.

:blink:

Let me start by saying I screwed up and did not pair the controller properly. I came back home today and tried it a few times until I got it to pair perfectly. This time it heated up right away with no issues. :yahoo:

Trent just an FYI if you have trouble call Mike at Warm n Safe. He is happy to help and is a fellow rider.

My stuff is working fine gen 4 liner, gloves and remote troller.

dude after you left i thought to myself, did he really pair that receiver up correctly.........

How did you figure that out? didMike call you?

R

Trent just an FYI if you have trouble call Mike at Warm n Safe. He is happy to help and is a fellow rider.
My stuff is working fine gen 4 liner, gloves and remote troller.
I tried and left 3 mesages today but I think they might have been closed or too busy? It is Christmas week so I cut everyone a bit of a break. Well I am glad I got this thing working. Now I am wondering if I should sell my wired unit for a wireless one for Emily but I have no idea how I would mount it near her?

I think I might just connect a Power Harness with coax connector that is easy for her to reach so we do not need to use the Powerlet that is down near her knees when we are riding. That way she gets on plugs in her Autocom and easily plugs in her heated gear.

dude after you left i thought to myself, did he really pair that receiver up correctly.........

R
No, Deata emailed me and asked me to try one more time. I do not think I pluged it into the power quick enough for it to pair the first few times.

R
No, Deata emailed me and asked me to try one more time. I do not think I pluged it into the power quick enough for it to pair the first few times.

I just took my first trip with my wireless HT. I'm not really sure about it. The trip was a short one- about 500 miles round trip at night. Enough time to pick up on an issue with the HT.

The unit works, but I'm not sure it works properly. The red LED by the control knob only comes on for a second when the control is turned on from the "off" position. Adjustments after that result in no activation of the LED, thus no visual confirmation by the unit of the adjustment. It also seems that there is, in fact, no resulting change. I seem to have to turn the knob fully off, then back to the new desired level. No big deal in daylight, but a serious PITA at night when the white hash mark isn't easilly seen. Anyone else notice the same?

Every time you turn one of the knobs the light should come on for a second, if its not doing that then it is not working correctly.

R

Every time you turn one of the knobs the light should come on for a second, if its not doing that then it is not working correctly.
R
Question: Do you do one knob at a time or both at the same time? Meaning do I pair on knob then plug into power and then repeat again with the other knob? I guess I am wondering if it is possible to accidently pair one knob and not the other.

I know, it's a 2 year old thread, but,,,

I'm working on installing the WnS cable to the battery, the fused link. This is a fairly short wire considering it's attached to the battery and then attached to the liner, which doesn't have a real long wire either. How did you folks do the install, did you splice more cable onto the fused wires, or do something else? Also, how/where did you run the wires from the battery to somewhere close to the seat? I've got the remote dual controller, liner and gloves.

It's going to be 24F in the morning........

Thanks.

I'm working on installing the WnS cable to the battery, the fused link. This is a fairly short wire considering it's attached to the battery and then attached to the liner, which doesn't have a real long wire either.
Huh? The controller connects in series between the battery and garments.

My battery lead comes out where the fairing and tank meet on the right side of bike. I coiled up most of the wire so only a couple inches of wire is exposed. I currently have the controller stuffed in tank bag and find I have enough cable slack to connect jacket and glove leads while off the bike. No problem getting on bike, have never had connections pull loose.

I'm working on installing the WnS cable to the battery, the fused link. This is a fairly short wire considering it's attached to the battery and then attached to the liner, which doesn't have a real long wire either.
Huh? The controller connects in series between the battery and garments.

My battery lead comes out where the fairing and tank meet on the right side of bike. I coiled up most of the wire so only a couple inches of wire is exposed. I currently have the controller stuffed in tank bag and find I have enough cable slack to connect jacket and glove leads while off the bike. No problem getting on bike, have never had connections pull loose.
Just a little off on the wording. Yes the controller is in the liner pocket, and in series with the battery and liner, both of which plug into it. The battery leads going to the controller that I have are 3' long and the lead in the liner that plugs into this is about 18", coming out on the left side of the jacket, not on the side where the battery is on the bike. Even a straight line from the battery to where the seat meets the fairing is nearly the entire length of the battery wires that were supplied and once I fish it through on the inside of the fairing, I don't think it'll be long enough. I think I'd be able to hook up while off the bike only if I was on the high side or center stand.

Are your gloves connected by the wires in the jacket sleeves or some other way?

FYI, Gerbings sells extension cords that will work with the Warm-N-Safe stuff. I have a permanent-mount setup with the two cords coming out right at the front of my seat. I then use two 12" extension cords from there to the leads on my jacket. This gives me enough length to get off the bike or stand up on the pegs without having the cords come loose. LINK TO EXTENSION CORDS

Drew, I used a dual remote troller, so initially I went straight from the battery to the seat near the fuel tank. The wires were still short, so I used the included Y connector to make it reach from the bottom of the tank to above the seat. Later I moved the power to a Fuze Block (watch the polarity) so the wires would be long enough. Mike does sell a 2-foot extension for $10.00 LINK, and I have seen coax extensions at A&S and other places. (be sure to log in to see discount pricing)

In truth, I think we should give Mike feedback that the standard harness is about a foot too short on the FJR for a direct battery hookup.