Warm and Safe Heated gear and the new wireless controllers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had heated gear before...but that sounds scary. The last thing I want while being wrapped in heated gear is a hot electrical smell.

Heated gear users please chime in...
Heated gear user from Allentown PA. Gerbing heated gear (gloves and jacket liner) is one of the best additions to my bike. We ride down into the teens around here and without heated gear I think most would not be comfortable. IMO Gerbings are the best with their micro-wire technology. I've never had a problem in the 6 years with Gerbings. Corbin heated seats also on my '09 FJR.

Mike

To re-awaken this thread... I haven't been able to ride much over the past couple months due to the wife having health issues and me staying home so I haven't had gotten much use out of the WnS gear but I have used it a couple times and again this morning on the way to work. I've noticed a hot electrical smell when I stop the bike, not a burning electrical smell, like fried wires, more like something has gotten kind of hot. Has this been a typical experience for those that have used this gear before? From what I can tell, the smell isn't coming from the bike, seems to be more from the liner. The gloves and liner both heat up nicely.
I have never noticed an electrical smell from the liner or gloves or any electrical parts of my WnS gear. If you are using a wireless controller, pull the receiver from the pocket and observe the lights when you turn on the gear. If you are getting a yellow light, you have a reversed polarity. The LED should be red. When polarity is reversed, the gear is on, but the controller does not turn it down properly.

Read the Warm and Safe Troubleshooter.

I have never noticed an electrical smell from the liner or gloves or any electrical parts of my WnS gear. If you are using a wireless controller, pull the receiver from the pocket and observe the lights when you turn on the gear. If you are getting a yellow light, you have a reversed polarity. The LED should be red. When polarity is reversed, the gear is on, but the controller does not turn it down properly.

Read the Warm and Safe Troubleshooter.
Thanks for the tip Tom, I'll check it out and see if that is the case. The wireless controller seems to work fine, red knob for the liner, yellow for the gloves and the amount of heat follows along with knob adjustment. I thought maybe it was tied to everything being 'new'.

Just went out to the parking lot and checked, looks like it is wired correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: