What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed my new mondomoto leds successfully, (so far) up on the dash shelf supports. Got tangled up in about 6 yards of split harness back and forth for a while, but finally managed to stuff it all in and everything is buttoned up. This is a big deal for someone who is color blind! Now I just have to decide how to aim these things without blinding something. Tomorrow I tackle changing the clutch fluid. I've got a mighty vac and have some experience with my son's MX bike so clutch should be easy. Brakes will no doubt be more challenging, but I can't put it off any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed my new mondomoto leds successfully, (so far) up on the dash shelf supports. Got tangled up in about 6 yards of split harness back and forth for a while, but finally managed to stuff it all in and everything is buttoned up. This is a big deal for someone who is color blind! Now I just have to decide how to aim these things without blinding something. Tomorrow I tackle changing the clutch fluid. I've got a mighty vac and have some experience with my son's MX bike so clutch should be easy. Brakes will no doubt be more challenging, but I can't put it off any longer.
I trust that you've read up on doing the brakes on this forum... or you've got a service manual? Being that they're linked, there is a little trick to it... which I'm assuming you already know...

Gary

darksider #44

Sat down besider her and cried like a baby,well kinda,Monday Doc said it would be another 5 weeks before I can put a load on my left foot...Dropped a damn lawnmower motor on it a couple weeks ago and broke several bones.

Yeah, I think I've read up on everything but I don't know what I might have missed. What is this "little trick" you speak of??

I trust that you've read up on doing the brakes on this forum... or you've got a service manual? Being that they're linked, there is a little trick to it... which I'm assuming you already know...

Gary

darksider #44

The rear master cylinder feeds the front right bottom caliper. So there are only two caliper nipples for the front brakes, do the left one first.

When you do the rear, do the front right bottom nipple first and then the rear caliper nipple.

Pretty simple, but could cause confusion if one isn't paying attention.

Day late and a dollar short...last Friday replaced my rear PR3 with another PR3. Tire got 9269 miles after 7.5 months. Center zig-zag siping and wear bars were completely gone; no cord showing yet. Very pleased with the handling of the PR3's. Front PR3's getting close to being done.

The rear master cylinder feeds the front right bottom caliper. So there are only two caliper nipples for the front brakes, do the left one first.
When you do the rear, do the front right bottom nipple first and then the rear caliper nipple.

Pretty simple, but could cause confusion if one isn't paying attention.
Thanks, I did read about this. The procedure does seem pretty straight forward... won't wait 5 years the next time (ouch, I heard that!)

Marathon maintenance day on the new 2013. Break-in oil and rear diff oil change (Mobil1 synthetic all around). Fuzeblock installed. Adaptiv radar/laser detector installed. Zumo 350lm installed. Whew, time for a beers.

I changed the front brake fluid.It went well, but I'm ordering speed bleeders all round on Monday! I'll do the rear when I get the speed bleeders. Tomorrow, I ride!
mishacycles.com Fellow FJR rider. Nice guy. Make sure you get the right amount: 2 front, 2 rear, 1 clutch.

Be sure to mention you ride, you'll get a little discount. Plus you'll be getting the real deal, not the el-cheapo knockoffs they sell at advance auto.

For what it's worth, here's a photo of the admore mini light bar I installed. I'm showing it because I don't think anyone has installed an admore in this location. I wanted it as high up as possible. Overall, it's additive to my visibility and I'm more conscious about remembering to turn off my turn signals.

admore_zpsf7c7fee2.jpg

Adjusted the float level on the fuel sender unit.

Resistance readings were perfect, went from 75mm to 81mm on the float.

Will be hit or miss, the reserve indication was coming on at 18.5 litres.

Drilled a breather hole in the filler neck and cleaned out, flushed out the tank several times.

Was crud in there before I drilled the hole, (28K kms).

Still can't place the bike on centre stand yet, (after my operations in July 12), to top up the bike fully.

Installed Speed bleeders (all 5) then replaced break and clutch fluid. Fluid was as dark as hot tee, a little overdue I'd say. Replacing the bleeders took me about an hour/hour an a half to swap out but next fluid replacement should be very quick!

FYI, when using the speed bleeders and pumping the break and clutch drop a slug (i used a large screw) in the bottom of the master cylinders to keep the fluid from squirting out as suggested to me by Razerman (and I remembered after first squeeze of the clutch and got some fluid "kickback").

Also replaced the air filter - what a bitch that is!

Adjusted the float level on the fuel sender unit.
Resistance readings were perfect, went from 75mm to 81mm on the float.

Will be hit or miss, the reserve indication was coming on at 18.5 litres.
Can you expand on exactly what you did here, and what the results are on the gauge (when you get a chance to actually test it)?

Drilled a breather hole in the filler neck and cleaned out, flushed out the tank several times.Was crud in there before I drilled the hole, (28K kms).

Still can't place the bike on centre stand yet, (after my operations in July 12), to top up the bike fully.
FWIW, I always fill my bike on the side stand, and with the normal headspace provided by the filler, it doesn't really matter (can't get any more fuel in on C-stand) but now with the new vent hole drilled you'll probably be able to get another liter or so in there. That said, be careful not to top it all the way up and then leave the bike out in the sun. If the vent in the cap doesn't work you'll severely over-pressurize your tank.

You might want to consider doing the fuel cap castration I wrote about a while back to ensure you have good venting. I've been running mine with the steel ball removed without a single problem since that post 3 years ago. It has completely eliminated all tank pressurization (or vacuum) and I can report that on occasions where the bike has been dropped on its side
not_i.gif
not a drop of fuel was seen.

Took the FJR out and scrubbed in the new tire on the back. Even planted bug guts on the windshield to give it that natural look.

Talk about scrubbing.. Somebody otter toss yer old butt in the bath.

Winter is over karl, and it's time fer yer annual clean up.. I hear Marty and Marc ain't busy...

Hi Fred,

Can you expand on exactly what you did here, and what the results are on the gauge (when you get a chance to actually test it)?
I bent the lever wire down so the float sits 6mm lower. I'll test it out this week, going on a 3 day ride, I hope.

As I said it may be hit or miss.

Normally it doesn't worry me, reserve indicator coming on early, I know I have about 6.5 l left.

be careful not to top it all the way up and then leave the bike out in the sun
Will do, I only normally top it off if while on tour.

I've seen it happen, a fellow Aussie forum member who topped off his bike fully and left it in the sun. Was spewing fuel everywhere.

I always use to fill up with the bike on the centre stand, I still can't do it even with the bike unloaded so side stand it is.

Was heading to Western Australia for the Aussie Assault and had to pull out, the great roads here caused havoc to my guts.

I suppose the thought of not being able to fill the bike right up and the reserve indication was just niggling me.

I was used to my 06 reserve coming on at 400kms

Glad I cleaned out the crap in the tank.

I also removed the gas cap ring and cleaned up under it.

Booked marked your link for the mod, thanks.

New Michelin PR2s. Last tires were PR3s and I changed both out today with around 11,000 miles on them. The front had easily another thousand miles left; maybe 2000. Not as much left on the rear but I had a leak from a sharp rock or glass that didn't stay with the tire so rather than patch a tire with little life left, I swapped them. The PR3s gave pretty good life but the last third or so wasn't nice - noisy and so-so handling. Going to run these PR2s and try the Pirelli Angel GT's next. Hopefully that will get me through the season.

Got all my plastic back on after:

valve check,

coolant flush,

fork service,

shock service,

relay bearing/collars,

and head bearings.

Combine all of that with being off the bike all winter and I don't know what to attribute the new feel to!!