What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was flat on my back for three days with a brutal stomach flu and finally was over that today. But I was up most of last night coughing and I woke up with a bad stiff neck. So even though I'm doing good to even make it into work, I realize it's gonna be 60 today when we've rarely seen high 40's lately and it's gonna be an ice storm here in two more days. So I tell my wife, I don't want to ride the bike to work today, but I have to.

I got on it and realized I lied. I wanted to.
smile.png

I almost rode in today....Just as I was suiting up a buddy called from the other side of work,, he said it was raining so hard he couldn't see 10 feet ahead. I was ready to brave the fog and warnings of near zero visibility, but not both on my interstate commute. Well in my car the visibility was never less than 1/2 a mile and the rain was never more than a drizzle...It was so nice out as I caged it home...I'm still kicking my own ass.....

Rode to work today also, but nothing heroic. 66 when I left home, and 72 when I left work and partly cloudy. This is Flatistan's riding season!

Took her for an hour ride today after work. Roads were wet and dirty from the light rain earlier so I washed and dried her when we got hack home!
smile.png

Moved it into the heated garage from the unheated one after blowing the latest 5 inches of snow off the driveway. Wouldn't start, so I had to push it.

CrabbyJack

Finally took the batteries out of all my bikes.

Oh, taking the center panel off of a 13 when it's -5 isn't a great idea.

Not too shabby for an afternoon's work!

KrZy8 Rawks ON!

• Valve check
  • New Coolant Using distilled water
  • Brake fluid
  • New radiator hoses
  • Replace radiator
  • Lubricate swingarm bearings
  • Lubricate Suspension pivot bearings
  • R and R suspension
  • Change hydraulic fluid in clutch
  • New headlight bulbs
  • Lubricate shift mechanism
  • Lube center stand
  • Lube windscreen mechanism
  • Replace brake pads front/rear
  • Throttle body synchronization
  • Barbarian jumper modification
  • Replace wheel bearings
  • Install new brake linkage From extreme Marine
  • Headlight adjust mechanism Install new
  • Fuel pump for auxiliary gas tank
  • Service center stand
  • Clean air filter it's not that old
  • Pin saddlebags
  • Repair auxiliary fuel tank
  • Lubricate side stand. Too much wear. Replace.
  • Lube u joint
  • Replace thermostat and housing
OK, you're hired. Will you work for minimum wage?
sleep.png
Ok , Ok, you beat it out of me. Dr. Hal did the work, not me.

..and it took more than a day.

oh, Dr. Hal is KaitsDad on the forum.

But, today, I rode the piss outta KrZy8 down highway 1 in Cali from Moss Landing to Morro Bay. :woo Hoo!:

But, today, I rode the piss outta KrZy8 down highway 1 in Cali from Moss Landing to Morro Bay. :woo Hoo!:
I love that ride down the coast! Right now we are on track to do that ride again next September starting in San Jose and going through Big Basin on the way over to the coast.

Took a CBA level ride over to the local gas station and filled up with non-ethelol fuel after adding fuel stabilizer. When I got back home after my one mile ride I gave the bike a wash and ran the bike a bit to get any moisture out of the pipes.

The bike is now in storage till spring.

I installed Seal floorboards.

Oh, wait. That's on my wife's Spyder.

I removed my FJR's temporary plate, and installed the permenant one. I also rode to work today. I'm not sure I regret the choice, but there are certainly a warmer ways to start the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took a CBA level ride over to the local gas station and filled up with non-ethelol fuel after adding fuel stabilizer. When I got back home after my one mile ride I gave the bike a wash and ran the bike a bit to get any moisture out of the pipes.The bike is now in storage till spring.
I kinda did the same thing yesterday...except, prior to washing the bike I noticed I had picked up one of those packing staples in my back tire...so besides washing it and getting it put away for a few days (the weather is supposed to turn to shit here tonight) I also plugged the rear tire.

I'm going to visit mine today
smile.png
. It's stored for the winter in a friends shop along with my Wing and my antique cars. That gives me more room in my shop to spread out the pile of other stuff I'm working on.

Wow temps hit 57 F today...perfect weather for working in an unheated garage and just in time for me to finish winterizing the bikes including my new (to me) Versys. FJR is still the main steed, but will be looking forward to breaking the Versys out of the paddock around the middle of March !

winterizedphoto_zps4ef8b4d2.jpg

Wow temps hit 57 F today...perfect weather for working in an unheated garage and just in time for me to finish winterizing the bikes including my new (to me) Versys. FJR is still the main steed, but will be looking forward to breaking the Versys out of the paddock around the middle of March !
winterizedphoto_zps4ef8b4d2.jpg
Very nice Versys.

But, what is it with you Northerners buying bikes just in time to put them into storage?
rolleyes.gif

Decided to move down to clean & grease the shift lever, brake lever and kickstand.

Began by ATTEMPTING to remove the left foot peg bracket. Started with the Torx 50 bolt and really had to lean into it to break it free. Then moved to the upper two Allen head bolts. The left one seemed even tighter than the Torx, but finally gave it up. The right one was worse.

I got the impression that I wasn't the first to wrestle with it 'cause the hex wrench didn't want to insert all the way. On my second attempt, the wrench slipped, stripping the edges of the Allen opening. Third try completely rounded the opening. RATS!**

So I tightened the first two and moved on to the side stand. Managed to get a 12-point box wrench on the nut and not strip it. Cleaned, greased and smoooooth!

**Anyone want to share their favorite method of removing stripped, over-torqued Allen bolts?

I drill the head off and then with the part out of the way you can remove the rest of the bolt.

Blame it on Don or Skooter for the over torque.:) :) :) :)

I use a mix of 50-50 ATF and acetone as a penetrating oil. Squirt it on and leave it overnight. Repeat as necessary.

Also, heat applied to the area the bolt screws into, or the nut if there is one. Repeated heating and cooling can sometimes loosen it up a bit. The penetrating oil mix will burn readily.

Once the bolt head is stripped you'll need another way to grab it. Before drilling it, see of you can get a nice big set of vice grips on it. It may help to grind a couple of flat spots on opposite side of the bolt head. If that won't work, the the drill is next.

Once you drill the head off then you no longer have the choice to just close it back up and forget it.
uhoh.gif

If you drill the head off you may be able to get the part out of the way and have easier access to use the penetrating oil and heat.