What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered up :
1. a set of LR4's with dimmer

2. wynpro PAIR kit

3 wynpro BigFoot

4. wynpro light mount

For my '05
Cool...when I get around to ordering my lights, brackets and dimmer, you can give me a hand withe the install.
smile.png
Sounds like a plan Joe. I'd like it to be at least 50* warmer than it is right now though
cold.gif

Spooned on a new set of '023GT's, lubed the splines and changed oil in the forks.

Winter maintenance is in full swing...next up, valve check, plugs and TBS.

--G

Painted one of the side panels red. Realized the clear coat I have put a semi-gloss finish, not high gloss so it looks different. Now I get to redo this, but the good new is the color is a good match so both side panels will get painted when I get the new clear coat. Also bought a quick connector to install driving lights since I will not keep the lights on all the time, just when I'm on an overnight trip and may need the extra illumination.

Fitted up a pigtail for my battery tender and a relay for the heated seat for when I forget to switch it off and flatten the battery (NOT)!

Finally got around to lubing the shifter pivot point. I was starting to have problems shifting down to first. The pivot point was completely dry - no lube at all. I did the rear brake pivot about two months ago when it was starting to stick.

Just shoot me.

I began by installing a Speed Bleeder on my clutch system and began the process of bleeding the system.

After a few pump/refill cycles I happened to look down and see that my trusty Speed Bleeder bag was leaking on the garage floor.

Glad I noticed. Grabbed paper towels to stop the small river on the concrete, and stuck the hose in a jar to finish the project.

No drama, no trauma. Job finished. Time for lunch before proceeding to the brakes.

Halfway up the stairs I thought (here is where I always get in trouble) "Hey, check the odometer and record the maintenance while it's on your mind.

Went back down and reached for the key and... WTF???!!!???

The key was already 'on' and it took me about 3 picoseconds to figure out why: when I got home Monday night, after stopping to fill the tank, I remembered that I hadn't reset the trip ODO at the gas station - so I did. And didn't turn off the key when I was done.

After lunch - and after installing the Speed Bleeders & doing the brake system - I'll remove the dash panels and hold a funeral for the battery.

More maintenance than I had planned, but it's either that or jump off the Photomat booth.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I'll remove the dash panels and hold a funeral for the battery...More maintenance than I had planned, but it's either that or jump off the Photomat booth.
It's worth a shot at trickle charging the battery and see how much it recovers. You live in an area that isn't too demanding of a battery so you may get away with it (at least for quite a while).

"Photomat booth" That's funny and kinda shows your age haven't seen one of them in many years.
smile.png

"Photomat booth" That's funny and kinda shows your age haven't seen one of them in many years. :)
Me too! Talk about reminiscing...I remember when we would pull up the the booth to drop off and pick up pictures. Wow...
Anyway, I started installing led driving lights. If these inexpensive ones don't do the job, I'll have the wiring done and will just need to switch out for better ones.

...I'll remove the dash panels and hold a funeral for the battery...More maintenance than I had planned, but it's either that or jump off the Photomat booth.
It's worth a shot at trickle charging the battery and see how much it recovers. You live in an area that isn't too demanding of a battery so you may get away with it (at least for quite a while).
Yup, the trickle charger gets a shot at it.

(I tried plugging in the Battery Tender and it just laughed at me - didn't even light up.)

If the trickle charger doesn't work, I'll have one more job for tomorrow - before the planned oil & filter change.

Just stepped off the roller-coaster!

I hate roller-coasters!

Yesterday, when I realized that I'd left the ignition key 'on' for three days, my stomach sank.

This morning, when I went down to check the gauge in the trickle charger, my stomach soared.

Then, when I turned the key 'on' (after disconnecting the trickle charger) and noticed a digital "12" where the clock should be, my stomach sank again.

After furiously flipping through the pages of the owner's manual and the service manual in search of a table explaining the numbers - and finding none - I searched the archives here and found this:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/9612-diagnostic-codes/?p=117762

Hope, and a soaring stomach!

After reading that '12' means a problem with the crankshaft position sensor - and that the bike would not start in this condition - my stomach sank.

Hoping against hope, I wondered if the error code could be... an error?

So I went down and, despite the deafening roar of the butterflies flapping in my stomach, turned the key and hit the starter button.

It's amazing how many thoughts can go through the brain (yeah, let's call it a brain despite the evidence) in the millisecond between the sense that the thumb has made contact with the button, and the sense that said thumb has exerted force on said button.

What will happen?

*nothing? Because the error code interrupts the electrical circuit?

*a cranking engine which won't fire?

*and if it cranks but won't fire, will the battery - which was recently on life support - finally give up the ghost?

*if it doesn't start, what manner of copious financial offerings must be made to the Yama-gods?

The brief sound of a spinning starter was followed by the sound that brings joy to our hearts and tears to our eyes: the harmonious music of four cylinders and the sweet sound of the exhaust reverberating ... in a closed garage.

My stomach soared!

My brain (yeah, we're still calling it that) suggested that it might be prudent to either open the garage door, or turn the key 'off'.

I chose the latter since failure to do so on Monday afternoon is what brought us to this mess in the first place.

I walked - nay, floated - upstairs and made a cup of espresso.

As I sat at the desk, enjoying the aroma and flavor, my eyes fell on a bold-face block of text on page 3-5 of the owner's manual:

"CAUTION: If the clock indicates an error code, the motorcycle should be checked as soon as possible in order to avoid engine damage."

My stomach sank.

Then my wandering eyes caught a sentence on page 1-32 of the service manual:

"The clock reverts to showing the time after the error has been corrected."

At this point, my brain (?) can't figure out if my stomach will feel better after breakfast....

Just stepped off the roller-coaster!I hate roller-coasters!

Yesterday, when I realized that I'd left the ignition key 'on' for three days, my stomach sank.

This morning, when I went down to check the gauge in the trickle charger, my stomach soared.

Then, when I turned the key 'on' (after disconnecting the trickle charger) and noticed a digital "12" where the clock should be, my stomach sank again.

After furiously flipping through the pages of the owner's manual and the service manual in search of a table explaining the numbers - and finding none - I searched the archives here and found this:

After reading that '12' means a problem with the crankshaft position sensor - and that the bike would not start in this condition - my stomach sank.

So I went down and, despite the deafening roar of the butterflies flapping in my stomach, turned the key and hit the starter button.

It's amazing how many thoughts can go through the brain (yeah, let's call it a brain despite the evidence) in the millisecond between the sense that the thumb has made contact with the button, and the sense that said thumb has exerted force on said button.

What will happen?

*and if it cranks but won't fire, will the battery - which was recently on life support - finally give up the ghost?

*if it doesn't start, what manner of copious financial offerings must be made to the Yama-gods?

The brief sound of a spinning starter was followed by the sound that brings joy to our hearts and tears to our eyes: the harmonious music of four cylinders and the sweet sound of the exhaust reverberating ... in a closed garage.

My stomach soared!

My brain (yeah, we're still calling it that) suggested that it might be prudent to either open the garage door, or turn the key 'off'.

I chose the latter since failure to do so on Monday afternoon is what brought us to this mess in the first place.

As I sat at the desk, enjoying the aroma and flavor, my eyes fell on a bold-face block of text on page 3-5 of the owner's manual:

"CAUTION: If the clock indicates an error code, the motorcycle should be checked as soon as possible in order to avoid engine damage."

My stomach sank.

At this point, my brain (?) can't figure out if my stomach will feel better after breakfast....
I am glad that all is well with the world.

One point to keep in mind is that the FJR does sometimes refuse to start easily if it has previously been started but not left running long enough to complete the warm up cycle. I have been bitten by this and there is at least one thread on the forum about it.

Just stepped off the roller-coaster!I hate roller-coasters!

What will happen?

My stomach soared!

My stomach sank.

Just reading your post has left me emotionally exhausted
uhoh.gif
. Don't know if I have the energy to begin my to do list.

Install CCS100 cruise

Valve check

Install green dot CCT

Install Spiegler SS brake and clutch lines - I have ABS, this looks like it could be a bit of a beeyotch.

Install new factory brake pads

Finish the install of LR4 LED's and bracket

Stripped off all the plastic, removed tank and injector rail, located servo under seat.

Geez, now that I've written this down, makes me wanna go take a nap
lazy.gif

It's getting there. Some of the peel-and-stick tile (for the B&W wainscoting) came in today.