What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got off the phone with my SiL, bouncing ideas for how to make the loft. It'll be across the width of the back wall and at the top of the wall (about 7' off the floor, so the underneath clearance will be about 6.5' or so. Based on sheets of 3/4" plywood, that would make it about 4' deep.

Already know that underneath it will be a work bench with task lights mounted underneath the loft along with a pair of flush-mounted speakers in each back corner to go with the speakers in the ceiling boxes shown in the pictures of the interior. All the wiring is run to a box that will have 2 sets of RCA jacks on a wall plate. An amp will plug into those using patch cords. The amp isn't much but will be enough for that area. It will be fed by an MP3 player.

Amp

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode it!! What a great ride! 57 degrees in the city and 45 in the mountains. The roads were smooth and the sand is out of the driving lanes. Only did around 50 miles, but it was a blast. The tires stuck very well, and she ran smooth. I needed that!

Rode it!! What a great ride! 57 degrees in the city and 45 in the mountains. The roads were smooth and the sand is out of the driving lanes. Only did around 50 miles, but it was a blast. The tires stuck very well, and she ran smooth. I needed that!
Glad you where able to get out...wish I could

Glad you where able to get out...wish I could
+1 If only my neighborhood streets were not covered in ice. It was sunny and a balmy 23F today.

Took a ride. Upstate SC, Hwy 178 to Rosman NC, Hwy 64 to Cashiers, then Hwy 107 to 28 to 183 to get back home. Lots of curves, lots of fun.

I missed a great afternoon to ride. I have had an intermittent code 14 on cold starts for months now.

After a hectic days work I yanked the tank and cleaned the vacuum lines and ports to the intake air pressure sensor.

I never saw any spooge, but I'm sure they are clean now.

I installed an Admore light kit in the Givi 55 liter top case. It was easy to install. The most difficult part was getting to the connector for the tail lights to plug in the adapter from Admore.

"I'd rather be lucky than good"

I finished the cooling system flush/fill yesterday afternoon, ran it one last time until the fan came on and said goodnight.

I saved the "fun" part for today: putting the plastic back together.

Since this was the first time, I was prepared to do battle with Murphy's Law.

Wrong.

It went back together effortlessly and ... With no parts left over!

Almost scary to be this lucky.

Time for a ride and to check for leaks.

Woo hoo! Just finished installing and positioning new led lights, painted both side panels red, painted top center panel of Shad to box red and installed carbon fiber weave to adjustable side vents. I will post pics tomorrow evening.

Washed it, waxed it, started thinkin' about building a differential manometer and beginning servicing things soon.

oil change...filter....pulled exhaust cans and susspension triangle.....checked, cleaned and greased all bearings and bolts....

Just finished valve check and adjust and green dot CCT install. 24,000 mi, thought I might as well. Intakes were a bit tight, all at the very low end of spec at .15mm except one valve in #1 cylinder under spec at .13mm. All the exhaust valves were at .20mm, .18 being the low spec. I left the exhausts alone but reduced shim sizes on the intakes using the sandpaper on glass method, bringing all of them to mid spec at .18mm. I used a micrometer to measure shim thickness in 4 places around the shim and at center to ensure uniformity. Getting the frigging cam cover off was the hardest part. Fortunately I'd already removed the AIS, but I couldn't get the right front corner of the cover to lift. Finally discovered a plastic guard where the wiring exits the frame was the culprit. Pulled it back a tad and off she came.

I did a couple things a little differently to make damn sure the timing chain would not skip a tooth at neither the cam nor crank gears. First I cleaned a spot on the cam gears and chain and marked a tooth and its corresponding link on each cam gear. I ty-rapped the chain to the gears at these points. When removing the timing cover I pulled it of just a little and grabbed the pin that locates the tensioner shoe, attempting to keep this pin in the case and not come out with the cover. It worked. i had read about this pin here so I was aware of it. With the cover off and the chain still tensioned, I removed the timing rotor, exposing the crank gear. I then cut a piece of fairly stiff closed cell foam and stuffed it under the crank gear and chain. This applied pressure to the chain, holding it in place on the gear for 180 deg. When I wound the tensioner back the chain went slack but did not move near the crank gear.

As I learned from FJRtech site (directed to it from this site), there is no need to remove the cams from chain engagement. There is enough slack to gently lift the cam and roll it aside, exposing the buckets. A strong pickup magnet was very handy here as well as during the CCT install.

Ahhh yessss......the cam chain tensioner. I would like to go on record to describe this piece of equipment and its location as a real motherf*kker https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/****.gif What a fiddly damn thing that was, but glad to get it done. I must have used 25 different tools to change this thing. Once the bolts were broke loose the extendo magnet was great for sticking through the finely engineered access hole in the frame that is too small for anything but a screwdriver and spinning the bolts out. The 10 inch needle nose pliers were a big help,too. Allowed me to hold a 10mm socket near the CCT while poking a 1/4" drive extension through the aforementioned hole, make the connection and remove the bolt from the CCT. Installing the new one was an equally entertaining adventure resulting in finger cramps and the choicest of choice bad words.

I would like to thank this forum and its contributors. Without searching for and finding all the info I found here this and other tasks would have been so much harder. I hardly even looked at the service manual.

Now I'm off to finish up the Audiovox cruise control. May the force be with me
rolleyes.gif

I rode her again for the second day in a row! I also washed and dried her since she will now be sitting for another week or more before I'll be able to roll her out again. Oh, I also got my new LED spotlights fully adjusted and positioned to provide more light on the sides when my high beams are on.

Chief, great job with the diy servicing!

Bounce said:
The loft is in place. Load rated at 600# but due to the roof angles, I suspect that the bolts' sheering rating is lower than that. Still even at #300 that's a lot of stuff.
Also got the wainscoting up.

wainscoting.jpg
Uuuuuuuuugh, your not going to put your work bench under it I hope.
no.gif

I am jellous, Dave

Now you need a small fridge with a case of beer and your all set.
smile.png

Bounce said:
The loft is in place. Load rated at 600# but due to the roof angles, I suspect that the bolts' sheering rating is lower than that. Still even at #300 that's a lot of stuff.

wainscoting.jpg
no.gif

I am jellous, Dave

Now you need a small fridge with a case of beer and your all set.
smile.png
+1

Bounce said:

wainscoting.jpg
no.gif

I am jellous, Dave

Now you need a small large fridge with a case pallet of beer and your all set.
smile.png
+10, FIXED!