What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used WD-40 to clean off all the tar that was sprayed onto the swing arm, exhausts, pumpkin, underside of the front lower fairing licence plate and rear fender.

Wednesday I was riding on a road that signed that loose gravel may be present since it was being chip sealed. Without any other notice, they closed on side of the two-lane hwy and fresh tar solution was being sprayed onto the lane to the right of me then both lanes opened up and we had to travel on the still very wet tar. I thought the tar would permanently ruin my bike's finish but I check online and found that WD-40 does an excellent job of removing the hard sticky goop. After cleaning the surfaces, a good wash and rinse removed the greasy miracle solvent!

Thank goodness I'll get to see her on weekends now and then and I already have her younger red-headed sister here to take some of my sorrows away when I get back.
grin.gif
In our neck o' da wood we call them red headed bass turd step children
snitch.gif
. JS.

Took a little ride around the block, about 185 leisurely miles, to hit up a couple dealerships. The first had a '14A for $12.8. Pass. The second had an '07. Been there, doing that.

I gotta say tho, the red is not nearly as orange as it looks in pics. Still it does nothing for me.

But it was a good day for a ride. Not too hot, not to cold, a little drizzly rain at the end. You know the kind it's not worth stopping to don rain gear. Go faster, stay dryer.

Washed it in prep for a long winters storage. Shame to because today was really nice out and I had to be an hour away for Thanksgiving dinner. I would've rode there, but coming home at below zero after dark is not so much fun.

Washed the CRFL2-fitty as well. Once a year whether it needs it or not.

How come you guys can't just have Thanksgiving the last Thursday in November like the rest of us? That's what you get for copying our holidays and then changing stuff up.

How come you guys can't just have Thanksgiving the last Thursday in November like the rest of us? That's what you get for copying our holidays and then changing stuff up.
Thanksgiving = Thanks. Giving. It's a celebration of the harvest. I am WAY further north which means the 'harvest' comes much earlier. Hence October it is.

So it's kind'a like how Octoberfest is actually in September then?
rolleyes.gif
Considering that the entire Thanksgiving Holiday is based entirely on fiction, I'd say any time in the fall would be fine. It's just an excuse to get together with friends and family before we are all snow bound.

Speaking of which, the middle of October is awfully early to be laying the bike up, with your only hopes of seeing it again being in April? I can generally get some rides in here through November and in some years well into December before the roads are snowy. Having a 3-4 month layoff is bad enough. I can't imagine how bad the PMS would be with 6 months off.

As much as you enjoy riding, Steve, I can't believe that you haven't found a way to get further south and/or out to the west, to at least a slightly less brutal climate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted up most of this in another thread!

It was in the storage thread but clearly part of it belongs here with a slightly modified title. More like "What did your FJR tell u what to do today?"

After work today, I walked past my baby in the garage today and thought I heard her say "Did I hear you say something about me spending the winter in the shed?" Before I could even let her know what I was thinking. She whispered some questions that certainly made her point clear. "How would you like it if I put you out in the shed all winter?" "You can't just take me out for a quickie if you put me in that cold dark shed." "I don't belong with kids bikes, the wheelbarrow , yard tools, old paint cans, and I certainly don't like weed wackers." "If you make me share space with that old riding mower, that might be the only thing you wind up riding next spring!!"

I cleared out a prime spot in the garage facing the street for her about 15 min later.

Maybe this belongs in "What did you do FOR your FJR today"

Cav

Gave her a rest,

after 3 weeks of riding the bike to work everyday I took the truck instead. Picked up a case of wine on the way home to replenish stock.

Dave

Rode her, 2-up, around southern Indiana to try out a new (to me) Rick Meyer seat. Got home and washed her and found more tar I need to remove with WD-40.

...with WD-40.
Careful with that stuff. It'll easily wash away that soft ass-paint you got
rolleyes.gif
LOL. Acutally, it takes off the tar without harming that soft paint...at least if you wash and rinse it immediately after! Also, there is very little on the paint since most of it is on the wheels, swingarm and fenders.

Today, I took Silver out of 'Hooligan mode" by putting the rear fender back on. Then I upgraded its winter comfort quotient by putting the hand-guards back on. That only leave changing the tall stock spring-autum windscreen to the giant V-Stream 'riot shield' in a couple of weeks. Then the transition will be complete, from summer based canyon blasting, street fighting hooligan to storm braving, weather protected freeway commuter.

Woo Hoo! Oh the joys of a central coast winter in California.

I rode to work today. Weather was fine going in but it was a shit storm going home. I got to full solid waves of water from oncoming traffic. Blinded me for a few seconds. At least I got all the salt off the bike and a wash on the way home.

Yeh, call me nuts,

Dave

Stabilizer in the tank. Dug the battery maintainer thingy out of the tool chest. Finished building a couple of 7' long, 7" high/wide platforms so I can safely ride the bike onto the lift.

Looked at the foot and a half of snow in the yard.