What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Fred,We'll do. Where are the cracks usually seen? Near the frame connection bolts? I think I read on here somewhere that somebody redesigned a better subframe. I'll have to break out the search engine when I have more time...
This is typical of the cracking rear frame:

Forum member garauld makes a Gen I and later Gens frame stiffener kit, send him a PM.
Wow! I guess I should really stick to the 22lb limitation on my Givi E55 case.
Get garauld's frame stiffener, you won't have to worry, or install the Givi 357 rack mount which reinforces the sub frame.

Thanks Fred,We'll do. Where are the cracks usually seen? Near the frame connection bolts? I think I read on here somewhere that somebody redesigned a better subframe. I'll have to break out the search engine when I have more time...
This is typical of the cracking rear frame:

Forum member garauld makes a Gen I and later Gens frame stiffener kit, send him a PM.
Wow! I guess I should really stick to the 22lb limitation on my Givi E55 case.
All in all, cracked/broken rear sub frames are pretty rare. Many of the Broken Frame Club members have ridden extensively over bad or unimproved roads with a heavily loaded trunk. I have the OEM trunk which my pillion often packs 110% (sit on it to get it to close) and even on our SHITTY New England roads and dirt roads we have gotten away with it. So far, so good.... (Crossing fingers that I didn't just curse myself.)

Removed the existing Widder harness from the battery and installed one for my Tourmaster vest. Tomorrow I'll buy some small electrical ties to tidy up the wiring, reinstall the panels and take it for a test ride.

It'll be nice to wear a couple fewer layers on chilly mornings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I drilled out the DRL sockets in my spare headlight assembly and started fitting the LED's I am planning in using. I can't get farther until I get Silver out of the shop (Valve adj. new plugs, new timing chain and a coolant flush) so I can see the clearances in those corners. The question is Exactly how will I attach them to the headlight? Epoxy the LED? The socket? I will figure it out in the days to come.

They are really bright but do not switch from white to amber as I wanted.

Left the FJR in the garage partially disassembled (awaiting spacers for the WynPro Aux LIght Bracket install) and took the ManStrom out for a couple of hours instead. This was my first time out collecting bonuses for the Big Money Rally, which started on the 1st. Managed to snap up 24 points in a little bit over three hours. Only need 144 to finish and I have until April to do that.

Temp only got up to 27 in ManchVegas, in the afternoon. Heated gear was a blessing.

20150103184603-photo-400x298.jpg

Good thing I got that ride in 'cause it snowed (slushed) last night and it's going to be a bit messy here for a while now.
not_i.gif

Fred, The roads are clear here In the southcoast area of Flatlandistan. I am contemplating taking the XR out today for it's monthly run. So it looks like you are getting into Rally mode this year.

Best of luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not exactly ideal riding weather around here so decided to carry out a few outstanding maintenance tasks:

Front forks removed and sent off to PDQ performance for complete strip-down and re-build.

Rear shock removed and returned to Nitron for complete strip-down and re-build.

Rear suspension relay arm stripped cleaned and lubed.

Swinging arm stripped cleaned and lubed.

Centre stand sent off for powder coating.

Steering head stripped cleaned and lubed.

Givi luggage rack sent off for powder coating.

Side stand sent off for powder coating.

Front and rear brakes stripped cleaned and lubed.

A couple of pics of my 'maintenance stand':

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

item.JPG

I started mine
smile.png
. Not out of necessity but out of curiosity. It's been sitting in an unheated shed for about 6 weeks collecting dust. No maintenance, no battery tender, nothing but a little Stabil in the tank. So I wondered if the 8 yr old, 79.5K mile battery would still work.

Yep!! Fired right up! Maybe I'll get another yr out of it.

nice...just fired mine up last night...been sitting in unheated shed for quite a few weeks with just the tender on it....we had a few morns over the past weeks close to zero and such but also mostly last two weeks has been right around freezing temps....bike turned fairly slowly for 3 or 4 revs then was slowing down and bit and bamn...fired up....figure that oil was damn cold and everything else was too...but was nice to hear the sound

Unless you can start the bike up and let it reach full operating temperature, you may find that it gives you trouble next time you go to start it. There is absolutely no good reason to start the bike periodically during an extended layoff.

Unless you can start the bike up and let it reach full operating temperature, you may find that it gives you trouble next time you go to start it. There is absolutely no good reason to start the bike periodically during an extended layoff.
Both well known facts, thanks anyway. Like I said, I had no need to start the bike, just felt like it. My bike, my informed choice. It warmed up and went thru two heat/fan cycles before I shut it off. 'Preciate your concern.

On my way thru the garage to my Honda HS928 (snowblower), I peeked under the FJR dustcover to get a look one more time at the nice custom seat Seth Laam did for me earlier this month. A big thank you to the folks who posted up the pictures of their seats with the carbon fiber cover material. Good choice!!

Can't wait to ride on it in a few more months. Back to snow removal.....or skiing.....
rolleyes.gif

After riding most of a full tank of gas out of it. Dropped the bike off at my local shop for a valve check and an all around check it out.