What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the fenders different on ES and A's? That mount might only work on the ES's. I know the '06' to '12's are different and those cool brackets won't fit, dang it.
Sorry, Dave, I don't know what else they might fit. They were mounted already when I first saw them. I think it was something they'd just done. All I know is they were free with the lights. :lol:

BTW, I got yellow lens covers for them. Holy cow, they show UP!

Rode about 2 hrs for lunch with a buddy up yonder. Man it was hot!
IMG_20160611_143959689_zpshsy6g6qr.jpg
Same view I had coming back from Hickory NC. Me and Missuz ny-baa rode up for breakfast. 79 at 9A when we loaded up. 10 minutes later it was 81, 15 after that it was 86; we saw 90 before we completed the 45 miles up there. Riding in that heat is just work.
I had the same view yesterday from Old Fort all the way back to Asheboro. Rode out there to check out some roads in the Pisgah Forest.

Are the fenders different on ES and A's? That mount might only work on the ES's. I know the '06' to '12's are different and those cool brackets won't fit, dang it.
The fenders are very different. The "A" model fenders are like the '06 to '12 but the ES fenders have recesses for the mounting bolts.

Looked at it longingly as I backed out of my garage with the car temp gauge showing 91F and the "feels like" forecast showing upper 90's.. gasp..

It's OK.. temps dropping in a few days for my trip to Deals Gap.. Might even get some refreshing rain on the way.. All things come, and all that..

2 new PR 4's and fresh oil....

This weekend I'm heading to N Georgia (Helen) for the COG Rally.

I'll be leaving from Seattle headed for Grand Junction, CO this weekend. Riding to Eureka Montana first to pick up a friend from the Calgary area and another from Billings. Meeting a few more in GJ. This is my annual WeSTOC recon run to meet with the hotel staff to iron out the details and to shoot some video of the recommended rides for the website and the banquet presentation.

Anyone is welcome to meet us along the way and join in on the fun! Our routes can be seen here:

https://koczarski.com/Motorcycles/Trips/20160620WeSTOC21Recon/Trip.htm

WeSTOC 21 - https://WeSTOC.org

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago, but I got the newest Clearwater Lights installed on my still-pretty-new-to-me 2014, and had it done at their shop by their guys. I knew they'd do it right, and I was pretty sure I might not. I need to find somebody with better camera skills and a better camera so I can do justice to these lights with some nighttime pics, which is why I haven't posted anything yet, but I did take this pic last night and decided to share it. It's the new mounting bracket he had made for the little fork-mounted marker lights (the ones he calls the "Darlas") for Yamahas. Thought it was pretty cool.
IMG_0514_zpsbzljjgsw.jpg
Where did you get the brackets? I MUST HAVE A SET
punk.gif
punk.gif

Guess I should have read the entire post before asking
rolleyes.gif
I've been in contact with Clearwater about these mounts and they can be purchased separately for $40/pr. You will have to call Clearwater to make the deal because the the brackets aren't available through Clearwater's web site. You can give them your card info over the phone or arrange to receive a paypal address. These mounts only fit the ES models because the front fender is very different between the A and ES models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine a couple of months ago when I wanted to swap the lights over. Called CW just looking for brackets that would work and was nicely surprised when these showed up.

And speaking of doing things to your FJR: Delivered my '04 to its new home and owners' today. Didn't mind including my like-new Yamaha cover in the deal when I found out it'll be stored outside. Hope it treats them as well as it treated me.
bye.gif
bike.gif

...And speaking of doing things to your FJR: Delivered my '04 to its new home and owners' today. Didn't mind including my like-new Yamaha cover in the deal when I found out it'll be stored outside. Hope it treats them as well as it treated me.
bye.gif
bike.gif
And my 110k mile '04 FJR went to a new home a couple of days ago. Plus another paycheck went to a couple of new homes this week in exchange for more items to come off the Big Brown Truck over the next few days.

It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago, but I got the newest Clearwater Lights installed on my still-pretty-new-to-me 2014, and had it done at their shop by their guys. I knew they'd do it right, and I was pretty sure I might not. I need to find somebody with better camera skills and a better camera so I can do justice to these lights with some nighttime pics, which is why I haven't posted anything yet, but I did take this pic last night and decided to share it. It's the new mounting bracket he had made for the little fork-mounted marker lights (the ones he calls the "Darlas") for Yamahas. Thought it was pretty cool.
IMG_0514_zpsbzljjgsw.jpg
Where did you get the brackets? I MUST HAVE A SET
punk.gif
punk.gif

Guess I should have read the entire post before asking
rolleyes.gif
I've been in contact with Clearwater about these mounts and they can be purchased separately for $40/pr. You will have to call Clearwater to make the deal because the the brackets aren't available through Clearwater's web site. You can give them your card info over the phone or arrange to receive a paypal address. These mounts only fit the ES models because the front fender is very different between the A and ES models.
That sux, I have an A model. Oh Well...

Not necessarily to the bike, more like something to make it more bearable. I'm leaving Saturday for a two-week trip to SLC (and grab a buddy), then to Coeur d'Alene, Medford Oregon (and grab about 4 more guys) and then hit the coast. At that point the plan is.. if it's hot go North and if it's cold go South. Still flexible. But with temps looking to be in the 90's when I leave Denver I decided to pick up a cooling vest. I'm sure hoping it helps. I had heat issues last year coming back from Spearfish when I went West thru Beartooth and then down thru Cody and Casper. I'm hoping to avoid that crap this time!

Burns1

Ps, I'm bummed I'll be missing Red Lodge!!!

Boy do I miss u guys and gals on the forum.*Disclaimer, this is not about their (lack of)gear or skills, but just a "thank you" for all of you on the forum that ride "right"!!

Let me explain. Since I have been on a little riding hiatus due to my last masters class, I agreed to go on a ride with some folks from church. Good people. Not the typical hypocrites that think church is only for the good people. Not sure why I included that part, but it seems fitting for some reason. Anyway, we had a route over to West Lafayette Indiana. About 80 miles over to Nine Brothers Irish pub. We took off at 8:30 central time and started the journey. We took the long way back and to hit an ice cream shop down in Rockville another 100 miles before we made it home. (0face would be proud)

6 total bikes. 9 people. Mix of bikes varied wildly. No 2 bikes the same. My FJR, a Goldwing trike, new 111 cubic inch Indian Dresser, 1100ish Vulcan, 5 year old Harley Street Glide, and an 80s Honda Magna ridden by our preacher. The Magna is in on its last leg for sure. Everyone but the trike wears a good helmet, no half lids and I am thinking everyone of them was pretty new. All but one of them in boots, T-shirts for everyone but me. The point of this is not about the gear, all of them are aware of the risks. This group calls themselves the "Wild Piglets". Clearly making fun of themselves and their motley style.

These folks are good people, but seriously MOST of them can't ride. I started all the way in the back as I have never ridden with 4 of them. The Harley and Magna folks I have ridden with before and they are reasonably skilled. The other ones are awful. They never did anything overtly dangerous, but they clearly are not you all. Riding not staggered, poor lane positions, and struggling in corners. Add that to the 5 UNDER the limit behavior, many cars were either riding up our butt or passing us.

Food was great, roads were decent, fellowship was fun(like I said, these are good people). All of these people like motorcycles and actually riding. The similarities between you all and them are evident, with one exception.......skills and technique.

Really looking forward to Red Lodge and enjoying the Food, roads, and fellowship. I won't miss the constant fear today that someone was gonna fall over cause they lack basic skills.

* Remember, this was not about them, but it is a Thank You to you!! See u soon
Its funny that you should post this. Just this last weekend at CFR in Pembroke, I was thinking just the opposite while riding with fellow form members. With the exception of my horse shit riding Saturday afternoon when I was so tired I couldn't stay awake, the rider skill was generally very good. As a rider coach who trains people how to ride, I can't help but notice imperfections in fellow riders. I know it isn't fair to judge fellow riders, but it is impossible not to notice or be overly critical of my own riding mistakes. Anyhow as I rule I am usually always impressed or envious of the rider skill I see displayed from fellow form members.