What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After getting on/off/on the bike this morning for the umpteenth time to use the remote in my car to close the garage door before heading to work-the light bulb finally came on.

Just dual-lock'ed a key-fob type garage door remote (purchased on the way home from buy-one-get-one @ Chipotle thanks to my RN,BSN bride) to the inside forward face of the glovebox...

I made luggage keys like these years ago for my ST1300. Decided to make a set for the FJR. They allow easy access to your luggage with needing to use your ignition key. They are short enough so they can't be removed and used to start the bike. To secure your luggage just remove them and place them in the locking left hand dash pocket.

IMG_20160608_180401.jpg

IMG_20160608_174033.jpg

More pics here: https://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/luggage-keys

It's getting too hot to ride in the desert, so it's time for a 30K mile service. On Monday I dropped the forks out of the front end, and yesterday I drove them over to Corona to have Race Tech work their magic on them. They installed new springs, Gold Valve kits, bushings, etc. for a total of $1042. Ouch...a bit more than I was expecting. Today I dropped the steering head out and cleaned up the filth and muck. Shiny forks and a clean steering head ready to go, along with a Galfer s/s brake line kit to be installed:

I've read that the Galfer kit is a real bitch to install, but if I'm ever going to tackle it...this is the time. With the forks out, I'll have easier access to the brake lines coming out of the frame near the steering head. Next week I'll have the swingarm out to clean and grease everything and install a Gen III shock, and the rear brake lines will go in then.

I got the steering head greased and torqued and the handlebars mounted. Then I figured that I might as well get the clutch line replaced...it looked easy enough. WRONG! I spent at least an hour poking around with my flashlight trying to figure out how the clutch line is held to the left frame rail. After finding a thread here from 2011 (FJRBluesman), I found the bolt holding the clamp that he mentioned. There's literally no way to get to that bolt, even from the front as he mentioned. I don't have a wrench that will reach that far...too much crap in the way. I think the only way to get it out is to drop the engine from the frame. After a lot of head-scratching, I figured I'd try the BFS. Big Freakin' Screwdriver. I wrapped the flat blade with tape to avoid damaging any surfaces, and I reached down there and bent the damn clamp out of the way, giving me enough space to move the clutch line. I tie-wrapped the banjos together and pulled the new line through. Holy crap, it worked! You can see the clamp just below the throttle body and the tie-wrapped banjos to the left:

After positioning the line and getting the banjos on both ends bolted down, I bent the clamp back into place, easy peasy. After all that, it was time for a beer. I'll fill/bleed the line tomorrow and then tackle the front brake lines. I'm not looking forward to it.

cleaning and lubrication of the bottom of the motorcycle. One week after rolling in from 4 to 15.7 inches of water to go to work every day ... Luckily the roads are dry again

Essential maintenance:

Flushed brake systems

Flushed clutch system

New pads up front (EBC HH)

New tires (PR4 GT both ends)

New headlamp bulbs (Sylvania SilverStar zXe)

I think my original (as best as I can tell) battery needs to be replaced, and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to drain the coolant so that can be flushed out as well..

AdamK, someone around here did the exact same thing with keys for the FJR a few years ago...unless that was you. I don't remember.

Anyway, got a call today that my FJR is ready to go. The Wilbers and the front forks are rebuilt and installed. $713 total. Not bad...He said, "I took it for a ride. It feels really good. That bike is fucking fast. Did you know that?"

I about pissed myself laughing. I told him, "Yeah, that's why I bought it. Watch that throttle, it will get you in trouble quick." He laughed and said, "Yeah, it kind of surprised me. I really like it."

So, I'm going to go get it after work tomrrow. He'll set up for me then. I kind of can't wait.

Got the front wheel off the ground yesterday accelerating onto I-29 from a near dead stop. Wound it out hard in first and cracked the 1-2 shift and the front wheel came up about a foot. First time for me. I was a little surprised, but i was able to merge in front of the minivan that was speeding up to try and stay in front of me
punk.gif

AdamK, someone around here did the exact same thing with keys for the FJR a few years ago...unless that was you. I don't remember.
Wasn't trying to pass this off as my own invention. I learned the trick a dozen years ago from someone on the ST forum. :)

Wasn't trying to pass this off as my own invention. I learned the trick a dozen years ago from someone on the ST forum.
smile.png
Adam, where do you source your key blanks?
I just went to a key-maker booth in the parking lot of a local Fred Meyer store here in the Seattle area and had the two keys made. Cost a little over $10 for two copies. He had the blanks hanging on the wall.

Are you having trouble getting copies made?

Last edited by a moderator:
Big box stores typically don't have the blanks but a good locksmith, and some smaller hardware stores, will..

Here's where I first saw it.

Got my spares from keys4urride.com, cut to match, and they're pretty stout. Maintenance manager at my dealership says the soft keys are sacrificial parts to avoid breaking the ignition cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't trying to pass this off as my own invention. I learned the trick a dozen years ago from someone on the ST forum.
smile.png
That little trick is pretty common on the ST forums. Neat and handy for those that need it.

I did that key trick myself a few years back. Just as a precaution, on my left bag for some reason the key vibrates enough that it starts to turn and threatened to unlock the bag if I let it in all the time. Keep and eye on it.

... and a new battery. I think it was still on the original, and after only a day (due to maintenance), it was cranking slower. Trip next week, taking no chances..