What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here is the solution to this bullshit CEL problem. You can thank me later:

1219_60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the solution to this bullshit CEL problem. You can thank me later:[img=[URL="https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/rodzilla134/Mobile%20Uploads/1219_60.jpg%5D"]https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/rodzilla134/Mobile%20Uploads/1219_60.jpg][/URL]
That cured my CEL issue for a couple thousand miles.

Met Griff at STAX, then took a short 100 mile ride west to 178 into the NC, east on a twisty road, then south on 276 back to SC. Finally got some SC gas in the bike. Bike felt good, hadn't been ridden hard since Memorial Day.

I had a aux. light flickering at times - manufacturer said it was likely a LED driver going bad. So I bought 2 new lights (Mondo Moto - $20.00 each) and ordered some amp seal waterproof connectors from an overseas vendor (5 pairs for $5.00 shipped).

I put the light side connector while sitting on my dining room table.

IMG_3077_zpsfzmk9kg9.jpg

I installed the harness side connector on the bike - it was a little more difficult bending over with all of the small parts.

IMG_3078_zpsev2oiar2.jpg

I routed my homemade light harness next to the brake lines.

IMG_3080_zpskyq9k4tp.jpg

These lights are very bright and I like them a lot.

IMG_3085_zpsm2tuhit2.jpg

While I was in farkle mode, I ran the power wire for my brand new 2nd hand Tom Tom Rider GPS.

Took a short 75 mile ride this morning to test everything out. My tires are just about shot. I will be working football games for the next 2 weekends. I've got a set of PR2s on my shop floor. Will hold out as long as I can - would like to leave for SFO with a fresh set of shoes.

Took her for her first day of wholly inappropriate riding. Attended a COG event and hooked up with one of the notorious fast boys of the group on a C-14. We did some serious pounding on some delightfully twisty back roads. Wasn't riding all the way to WFO, but close.

So far, I'm keeping her in touring mode as I learn how she reacts. Even in touring, the front end gets a lightness of being that I am still getting used to. My C-10 always keeps her front end firmly planted on the ground. But then, my C-10 is much more top heavy and is giving away something around 45 HP.

I got home in one piece which is always a good thing. I'm really lovin' this bike.
thumbsup.gif

Pants - On my clear water lights, just before the wire goes into the light housing, they have a small rubber o-ring on the wire that keeps the water from running down the wire from above and into the housing. food for thought...

And here is the solution to this bullshit CEL problem. You can thank me later:
That's great if you're not worried about knowing if something serious really goes wrong. I'm in the middle of a 4,500 miles trip and would like the system to be functioning as designed, albeit a flawed system.

^^The chances of anything going wrong that your CEL is going to warn you about is slim to none. Usually some kind of emissions problem. However, there is the chance a real problem could pop up, so it would be a good idea if the light didn't come on for bullshit reasons like shutting the bike off 300 times with the side stand; especially if you've only turned off the bike 100 times. Now, it also freaks out when the key isn't in the right spot, and dealers can't figure out how to unfuck this?

What did they change from '15 to '16 that made this become an issue and how does it get fixed? Until that gets answered, '16 owners need to come up with some way to live with it...Which sucks.

Yeah, it sucks alright, I expressed the same cel concern to my dealer before leaving for nafo. Once he told me about the slow key on issue, I've made sure to snap the key on and have had zero cel issues since. The P1601 side stand deployed while in gear code is apparently not what's setting the cel, but the cel is logging those events for whatever reason, so it looks like mama has that to fix as well. When the dealer was demonstrating a slow key on event for me on a R6 he had in for service, the main relay had a distinct double click during slow key on, he told me that's what my feejer was doing also, so the difference is apparently in the firmware settings that were changed for the '16 fjr's.

Are there still issues with the cruise and/or the ES being disabled while the CEL is on? That would truly suck and Yamaha needs to come up with this fix ASAP.

Are there still issues with the cruise and/or the ES being disabled while the CEL is on? That would truly suck and Yamaha needs to come up with this fix ASAP.
My ES was inoperable while the CEL was on. I could switch between hard, standard and soft, but could not fine tune any of them.

Finally had a moment to do a post-NAFO oil change yesterday; she's up to 18k miles in 13 months. Also spent some more time fussing over how I'm going to power my new Givi tank lock bag. Instead of buying Givi's power kit ($$), I bought a 5 port USB charger (up from a one port Warm 'n Safe charger), cut the cigarette plug off the end, and now I'm having an endless self-debate on whether to use an SAE or Coax connector for the connection between the bag and power system. Once that's decided, power will come from the Fuzeblock under the seat...just have to make a decision, lol. My old tank bag was powered by the coax I use for heated gear (via a Y cable from under the seat), but the new bag's waterproof port is in the front, so I want to put in a dedicated line up there.

Just a thought - but I'd go with the SAE. It can power the air compressor. Leaves your Coax free for the heated liner, and use the SAE to charge phone, etc while you ride.

Just a thought - but I'd go with the SAE. It can power the air compressor. Leaves your Coax free for the heated liner, and use the SAE to charge phone, etc while you ride.
Yea, I already have an SAE plug on the battery that's used for the tender and air pump. I've thought about re-routing that plug to pull double duty (it currently sits in the side fairing). I just happen to have a few spare coax cables laying around and a barely used Fuzeblock. ;)

That said, you may have just pushed me in the "easy" direction, lol.

I started some farkleing purchases, a selection of ram bone pieces, a different windshield--> trying the GIVI, and supplies for that overdue 600++ mile oil change.

Finally had a moment to do a post-NAFO oil change yesterday; she's up to 18k miles in 13 months. Also spent some more time fussing over how I'm going to power my new Givi tank lock bag. Instead of buying Givi's power kit ($$), I bought a 5 port USB charger (up from a one port Warm 'n Safe charger), cut the cigarette plug off the end, and now I'm having an endless self-debate on whether to use an SAE or Coax connector for the connection between the bag and power system. Once that's decided, power will come from the Fuzeblock under the seat...just have to make a decision, lol. My old tank bag was powered by the coax I use for heated gear (via a Y cable from under the seat), but the new bag's waterproof port is in the front, so I want to put in a dedicated line up there.
+1 for SAE, I had the coax (powerlet) port on my '05, that powered my tank bag when riding, air pump when needed, and used for battery charging in winter, but that connector was a lot more finicky and prone to corrocion, etc.than a good old 2 pin SAE battery tender cable / cord. That is what I have on my '14 now, it comes out from the battery up near the fork stem, and it serves all the same purposes, but more reliably and weather resistant, maybe even cheaper?